Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ireland Insurance on a Beach : help!

Insurancehell

Insurancehell

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

We have a Beach 2.0tdi with no kitchen, it’s classed as an mpv on the registration form and we are having huge problems insuring as they are saying it’s not a campervan . Anyone else get good insurance in Ireland on a Beach, if so, please share your secrets ! I’ve tried Dolmen and they said no as down as mpv.

Thanks !

Pretty sure that’s right. The beach without a kitchen (aka Beach Tour as it’s now called) is not a campervan. So you insure it normally as any other car.

Yes but no car insurance people will take it on as they say for it to be a van it would have to be commercial, so at the moment it looks uninsurable and I may have to sell. Neither car nor campervan will take it on. If anyone has any different luck please let me know as I am now wishing we’d bought an outright camper as it’s not being recognised as one or the other. Thanks people if you have an answer!

But it’s not a van. It’s an MPV and registered as such. Like a Caravelle or a Tourneo. I might be missing something here but there are plenty of MPVs in Ireland and I imagine they’re insured. Are insurers saying they don’t want to insure your Beach as an MPV?

I agree with all the above. I thought it would be easy. Yes they saying they won’t touch it, even with mpv status. I’ve tried many brokers. It is a second car and I have another policy for my day to day car, this is not helping obviously as that has my no claims. But it isn’t my day to day driving car . This is more complicated than it should be!

The upshot seems to be you can’t be the main driver of two cars in Ireland , obviously if it was classed as a camper it would be seen differently as a holiday car etc, but as it isn’t I’m totally not able to get insurance with another car .

Dolmens would have done if it was classed as a camper. So if anyone is reading this in future just be careful if you get a Beach Tour.

Looks like you’ve hit the ridiculous Irish insurance system issues. Although I’m surprised you can’t insure it at all. I would have thought that you can insure it but just wouldn’t be able to use your no-claim bonus for it (and therefore would have to pay a fortune).

In any case, yes, a camper would be different. You’d have no problem insuring as a second car. Insurance would be a lot cheaper. And car tax is also a lot cheaper (€102/year IIRC)

Yes, you’re right, it seems way too hard, I was willing to pay over the odds (kinda) considering the lack of no claims and without the campervan status, but no one would even let me do that .

I won’t be looking back on my deathbed pleased with the hours I spent on this.