Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel on Continent - Irish Camper Insurance

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

I am in the middle to plan our tour through the continent for 2024. We will be on the road for 46 days and were hoping to visit the following countries:
  • France
  • Germany
  • Czechia
  • Slovakia
  • Romania
  • Bulgaria
  • Turkey
  • Greece
  • Albania
  • Montenegro
  • Bosnia
  • Croatia
  • Italy
(In a different post I asked if people have experience with the VW Onside Rescue).

To ensure that I won't run into problems I contacted Dolmen Insurance Broker to ask if we need any special arrangements for those countries. They got back to me very quickly with this:
  • No car insurance fur Turkey and Albania at all!
  • Green card for Montenegro and Bosnia
Obviously we won't travel to Turkey and Albania without a car insurance. I was wondering if you came across an insurance company that offer car insurance cover for a week or two in those countries?

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

I am in the middle to plan our tour through the continent for 2024. We will be on the road for 46 days and were hoping to visit the following countries:
  • France
  • Germany
  • Czechia
  • Slovakia
  • Romania
  • Bulgaria
  • Turkey
  • Greece
  • Albania
  • Montenegro
  • Bosnia
  • Croatia
  • Italy
(In a different post I asked if people have experience with the VW Onside Rescue).

To ensure that I won't run into problems I contacted Dolmen Insurance Broker to ask if we need any special arrangements for those countries. They got back to me very quickly with this:
  • No car insurance fur Turkey and Albania at all!
  • Green card for Montenegro and Bosnia
Obviously we won't travel to Turkey and Albania without a car insurance. I was wondering if you came across an insurance company that offer car insurance cover for a week or two in those countries?

Regards,
Eberhard
Turkey, available at the border. Got it for my motorcycle. Third party though and you wonder if it's even worth the paper that they are written on. Would be the same for Albania.

I would buy at the border as both countries are worth visiting and would not miss out on seeing just due to full insurance constraints.

Enjoy your journey.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Hello,

I spoke to my car insurance (broker) again. It was confirmed that they can't arrange car insurance cover for Turkey and Albania.

I tried to find another insurance company that can offer a decent inurance cover for a month or so. But I failed.

We spoke about it and decided to change our travel plans and skip Turkey and Albania for the moment. Maybe it is my age, but we also decided against the above mentioned suggestion to buy insurance cover at the boarder.

There are only 9x weeks left and I still have to organize a lot. So, for this year the main destinatiion (as it was actually planned from the beginning).

Regards,
Eberhard

Back