Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is anyone using cataclean?

C

cristina McLean

Hello,

I have just come across CATACLEAN, a fuel additive which is supposed to clean a diesel engine, its particulate filter, and the fuel and exhaust system. The result of its use every three months would increase fuel milage, reduce maintenance costs, but also, and most importantly, it would reduce emissions by up to 60%.

Is anyone using this product regularly? What is your verdict on its claims?

Many thanks,

Cristina

Hello,

I have just come across CATACLEAN, a fuel additive which is supposed to clean a diesel engine, its particulate filter, and the fuel and exhaust system. The result of its use every three months would increase fuel milage, reduce maintenance costs, but also, and most importantly, it would reduce emissions by up to 60%.

Is anyone using this product regularly? What is your verdict on its claims?

Many thanks,

Cristina
The ONLY 3rd party tasting data was on 4 Industrial Vehicles at a Port in India around about 2014.
I can find nothing relating to Modern Euro5/6 vehicles at all.

Conclusion - I'll await your test results.

The ONLY 3rd party tasting data was on 4 Industrial Vehicles at a Port in India around about 2014.
I can find nothing relating to Modern Euro5/6 vehicles at all.

Conclusion - I'll await your test results.

Thank you for your reply. Cristina

I use Shell V power diesel once a month and have done so for years on all my cars. It has extra cleaning agents in it compared to standard diesel and my engines have never let me down and always got mpg like when it was a new engine.

A diesel car/ van itself after a good long drive will clean the particulate filter out, only doing short journeys are a particulate filter killer!

Not heard of the product you talk about, but if buy V power* every now and then (or other performance fuel), do some good long journeys, sensible driving and good servicing will see your engine and particulate filter last for many years to come!

* Performance fuels dont make you go faster or get more mpg instantly (maybe if you own a supercar), they basically use better cleaning agents and lubricants so after months of use compared to a standard diesel, you will eventually see better mpg and performance if you drove them side by side as it would be a cleaner engine removing more carbon deposits, soot etc

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/ca...our-lovin-v-power-nitro-under-the-microscope/

Excellent :sad

Next in line?

We've had a little flurry of Brexit v remain, quite a downpour of beach v Ocean, a recent trickle of DSG v Manual........

Are we in now for a veritable thunderstorm of additives v supermarket crap?

I use Shell V power diesel once a month and have done so for years on all my cars. It has extra cleaning agents in it compared to standard diesel and my engines have never let me down and always got mpg like when it was a new engine.

A diesel car/ van itself after a good long drive will clean the particulate filter out, only doing short journeys are a particulate filter killer!

Not heard of the product you talk about, but if buy V power* every now and then (or other performance fuel), do some good long journeys, sensible driving and good servicing will see your engine and particulate filter last for many years to come!

* Performance fuels dont make you go faster or get more mpg instantly (maybe if you own a supercar), they basically use better cleaning agents and lubricants so after months of use compared to a standard diesel, you will eventually see better mpg and performance if you drove them side by side as it would be a cleaner engine removing more carbon deposits, soot etc

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/ca...our-lovin-v-power-nitro-under-the-microscope/
Hello, Mark,

Thank you for your comments and advice. It sounds like your strategy is a good one. On the other hand, I'm really looking for comments about the use of CATACLEAN in relation to cleaner emissions.

Next in line?

We've had a little flurry of Brexit v remain, quite a downpour of beach v Ocean, a recent trickle of DSG v Manual........

Hello, GrannyJen,

I am not clear about what you mean with your comment, i.e "additives v supermarket crap". However, as a very happy, but environmentally concerned Cali owner, I would personally enjoy to see a "veritable thunderstorm" of mails on the subject of cleaner emissions in diesel engines.

Hello, Mark,

Thank you for your comments and advice. It sounds like your strategy is a good one. On the other hand, I'm really looking for comments about the use of CATACLEAN in relation to cleaner emissions.
A cleaner engine will mean better emissions :thumb

Next in line?

At no point has this thread said that performance fuels are better than an additional additive, performance fuels have addditives in them??? Every comment or piece of advice doesnt mean we are having a debate? We are just trying to give the op some friendly advice to help them prolong their vehicle and investment

We’ve already had it:-

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/supermarket-fuel.22096/page-8

I’m in the Using Shell V power diesel camp whenever possible. Can’t do any harm, might do some good and cost differential with my mileage is insignificant.

Mike

Thank you, Mike. I have had a cursory look through the thread you suggest, but cannot find any specific mention of CATACLEAN. I am also surprised to see that all the comments so far in this (and in that other) discussion seem to be concerned only with engine performance and longevity. Considering that most of us Cali owners would not part from our vans until they died a well earned death, and also considering that Calis are blessed with long lives, I am simply looking at how to reduce the environmental impact that our diesel engines will be having over the long term. Using CATACLEAN seems like a good option, in principle. Although it looks like it works well for other diesel vehicles, I just don't have any specific data on its use in a Cali engine.

What age is your vehicle this could make a difference? I would be very weary of upto 60% less emissions claims. Engineers throughout the world are working relentlessly to try and lower car emissions in line with WLTP and the latest euro six engines, so can't imagine cataclean being the answer to their problems, othereise it would be in all the papers, being the wonder product!. "If its too good to be true, it probably is!"

Thank you, Mike. I have had a cursory look through the thread you suggest, but cannot find any specific mention of CATACLEAN. I am also surprised to see that all the comments so far in this (and in that other) discussion seem to be concerned only with engine performance and longevity. Considering that most of us Cali owners would not part from our vans until they died a well earned death, and also considering that Calis are blessed with long lives, I am simply looking at how to reduce the environmental impact that our diesel engines will be having over the long term. Using CATACLEAN seems like a good option, in principle. Although it looks like it works well for other diesel vehicles, I just don't have any specific data on its use in a Cali engine.
Clean and well maintained engines, means less dirt, less emssions, less soot and longer life for engine, exhaust system and particutle filter.

We never used Cataclean, but whenever our van has its maintenance, our dealer (CCN in Amersfoort/NL) adds a flacon of Forte diesel cleaner.

Re. premium fuels: there have been lengthy debates on the german Cali forum. Consensus there was: they all have like additives, as such they don't differ really (Shell, Esso, etc). Only the BP/Aral Ultimate is different, in that it is the only premium diesel that has NO biodiesel added. The other brands all have some, also in their premium brands.
Biodiesel is bad for our vans' longevity (see the sticker near your fuel inlet...), so we have been using Ultimate ever since. With our van's mileage and age we should have had clogged up EGR, DPF, turbo, bio soot in the tank, etc, if you read the forums. Thus far we have been spared all that (fingers crossed...). We blame it on the Ultimate and Forte use. :thumb
Also the starting up of the parking heater and the regeneration of the DPF stinks a lot less without the biodiesel, is our impression! :happy

ALL combustion engines produce undesirable emmisions in many forms that basically exit via the exhaust.
ALL the strategies to minimise the undesirable emissions involve treating the exhaust emissions using Catalytic Converters, Diesel Particulate Filters, Chemical reactions using Urea ( Adblue ), and re-circulation of exhaust gases via an EGR System.
NO engine manufacturer has a system dependant on a Fuel Additive.

I think this tells you that such a system does not work. If it did then do you not think that such Manufacturers would have incorporated such a system. There is NO Class 1 evidence to support the assertions made.

Snake Oil - springs to mind.

It might clean the fuel delivery system. It might damage the Injectors, fuel pump etc: Who knows?

Thank you all for your very considerate replies.

Mark, ours is a 2013 Cali. And, of course, as you say, it's clear that good maintenance equals cleaner emissions.

Bart and Marga, it sounds like Forte does a similar job to what Cataclean is supposed to do (?!). And your van has clearly been healthy and going strong for quite some years. I will seriously think about copying your maintenance regime.

ALL combustion engines produce undesirable emmisions in many forms that basically exit via the exhaust.
ALL the strategies to minimise the undesirable emissions involve treating the exhaust emissions using Catalytic Converters, Diesel Particulate Filters, Chemical reactions using Urea ( Adblue ), and re-circulation of exhaust gases via an EGR System.
NO engine manufacturer has a system dependant on a Fuel Additive.

I think this tells you that such a system does not work. If it did then do you not think that such Manufacturers would have incorporated such a system. There is NO Class 1 evidence to support the assertions made.

Snake Oil - springs to mind.

It might clean the fuel delivery system. It might damage the Injectors, fuel pump etc: Who knows?

Thank you, WelshGas. That is the sort of straightforward answer that really helps!

Thank you, Meoncoast. A good reference to bear in mind. I wonder if there are more up to date articles?

I just googled it I had never heard of CATACLEAN prior to your post. It is not something I would use.

Sorry RedEx is s long standing fuel additive, back in the day you could get a shot’ on filling up.

What about "Catclean Super Nitro plus bonus edition", it removes 95% of emmisions o_O. What companies say, and what they do can be completely different things. Be wary of putting something in your engine based on what it says it on the tin :thumb

Back