Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it me?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Has anyone tried to buy anything direct (that is via t'internet) from Van Essa?

Their items are a lot cheaper if ordered directly so I've tried to order a pair of window bags for our Beach today and found that they don't have a debit or credit card option on their web site. Unless I've gone wrong somewhere, they only accept cheques and money orders it seems. A bit old fashioned and very un-Germanic me thinks. I have tried phoning them but didn't get an answer on this issue. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've now given up trying for the time being. I could send them a cheque I suppose but have lost the will to continue.

What URL are you using? At the bottom of the page it says maestro ?
https://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de/shop.php?do=CreateGuest&checkout_started=1
You are right though, no mention of card payment just invoicing you.

Says they accept paypal in the FAQ

5. Payment by bank transfer: Payment in advance
Payment via PayPal is also possible, in this case we add the corresponding PayPal fees to the invoice amount.
If you want to pay by PayPal, please indicate this in the comment field of your order

@Jonathan Duke and I ordered our Van Essa bags at the same time. I paid by bank transfer and was robbed on the exchange rate. Jonathan paid by PayPal and had a much better deal.

I've been shocked by the number of places in Germany and NL that don't accept credit cards- including a bicycle shop.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

@Jonathan Duke and I ordered our Van Essa bags at the same time. I paid by bank transfer and was robbed on the exchange rate. Jonathan paid by PayPal and had a much better deal.

I've been shocked by the number of places in Germany and NL that don't accept credit cards- including a bicycle shop.

If you'd lived there you'd understand - there's a built in distrust of this type of credit. Or at least there was when we lived in the Netherlands (last century). Everyone paid 'kontant', or in other words cash, or in our time there by Eurocheque.

Just maybe the distrust is based on the fact that some (or a hell of a lot of) people see the percentage american corporations takes on every purchase and they vote with their feet. We just seem to ignore this kind of usury (not quite the right term I know - maybe leaching is better?). And before someone asks we do use credit cards but only ones that we get some kind of cashback.

Try getting a Revolut card - it's a type of preloaded card but foreign transactions are done at the latest interbank rate, so about the best rate you can get. You can also have different currencies on the same card. Load it with £s, convert to Euros and then use the Euros with no charge. Only one ATM withdrawal per month unless you pay extra. And with all these things there are alternatives. I'm sure someone will be along soon to mention some of them.

Yes, I used PayPal.... there was a thread on this some time ago, I think. On request, they emailed me a PayPal payment request/invoice, which I then paid.

If I remember correctly, someone else purchased same using “TransferWise” and did better than I did, as PayPal’s exchange rate isn’t the best either (stealth profit.)

If you'd lived there you'd understand - there's a built in distrust of this type of credit. Or at least there was when we lived in the Netherlands (last century). Everyone paid 'kontant', or in other words cash, or in our time there by Eurocheque.

Just maybe the distrust is based on the fact that some (or a hell of a lot of) people see the percentage american corporations takes on every purchase and they vote with their feet. We just seem to ignore this kind of usury (not quite the right term I know - maybe leaching is better?). And before someone asks we do use credit cards but only ones that we get some kind of cashback.

Try getting a Revolut card - it's a type of preloaded card but foreign transactions are done at the latest interbank rate, so about the best rate you can get. You can also have different currencies on the same card. Load it with £s, convert to Euros and then use the Euros with no charge. Only one ATM withdrawal per month unless you pay extra. And with all these things there are alternatives. I'm sure someone will be along soon to mention some of them.

We have a preloaded Multi Currency Master Card with more than enough in Euros on it to cover this purchase however there doesn't appear to be any facility to use it or a conventional debit card, my prefered option. I seldom use a credit card but would on items like this just in case there were any problems however once again no facility to do this. I suppose it will eventually have to be Paypal although for now I've used up my limited patience on this matter.

Perhaps I should just send a personal messenger on foot with a leather pouch containing the necessary funds in gold doubloons!

Last edited:
Tried to purchase an item earlier this year and got the 'We'll send an invoice' message. Nothing came. Chased it up but no response so gave up.

Put them on your christmas wish list.:)
Alas Father Christmas doesn't leave presents for big boys and girls at our house, only small ones. Anyway how's he going to pay for them? He can't use his cards. :(

Just maybe the distrust is based on the fact that some (or a hell of a lot of) people see the percentage american corporations takes on every purchase and they vote with their feet. We just seem to ignore this kind of usury (not quite the right term I know - maybe leaching is better?). And before someone asks we do use credit cards but only ones that we get some kind of cashback

If that's true then why do they apparently accept Paypal?
"PayPal Holdings, Inc. is an American company operating a worldwide online payments system that supports online money transfers and serves as an electronic alternative to traditional paper methods like checks and money orders".

When I lived in Germany the standard unit of payment was a "Yellow Handbag". (Ten-pack of Herforder Pils in a handy cardboard pack with carry-handles).

Probably still easier than using a plastic card there.

Try getting a Revolut card - it's a type of preloaded card but foreign transactions are done at the latest interbank rate, so about the best rate you can get. You can also have different currencies on the same card. Load it with £s, convert to Euros and then use the Euros with no charge. Only one ATM withdrawal per month unless you pay extra.

+1 for the Revolut card, been using it for a year or so now all around the world and it has saved on transaction fees whilst giving good currency conversion. With the basic account which is free, the ATM withdrawal limit is £200 or $200 per month, not a single withdrawal.

If that's true then why do they apparently accept Paypal?
"PayPal Holdings, Inc. is an American company operating a worldwide online payments system that supports online money transfers and serves as an electronic alternative to traditional paper methods like checks and money orders".
Dunno Boris, but given it's more akin to a debit transaction maybe the cost per transaction is much lower.

I seem to remember Visa charges being 3% or something for shops which is a pretty hefty tax.

+1 for the Revolut card, been using it for a year or so now all around the world and it has saved on transaction fees whilst giving good currency conversion. With the basic account which is free, the ATM withdrawal limit is £200 or $200 per month, not a single withdrawal.

Sorry to be a bit thick I have given up as well but how would you use the Revolut card to pay for things from them :help

Sorry to be a bit thick I have given up as well but how would you use the Revolut card to pay for things from them :help
Revolut was an aside and not meant as a way of paying on that specific website - apologies for taking the thread off topic.

Has anyone tried to buy anything direct (that is via t'internet) from Van Essa?

Their items are a lot cheaper if ordered directly so I've tried to order a pair of window bags for our Beach today and found that they don't have a debit or credit card option on their web site. Unless I've gone wrong somewhere, they only accept cheques and money orders it seems. A bit old fashioned and very un-Germanic me thinks. I have tried phoning them but didn't get an answer on this issue. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've now given up trying for the time being. I could send them a cheque I suppose but have lost the will to continue.

I just purchased some window bags from Van Essa in Germany. I called them and was asked to type ‘PayPal’ and my PayPal email address in the comments field, then commit to purchase.

PayPal robbed me with a rate of 109 & change but I have to say, Van Essa were on the ball and very communicative. This was Monday, took 1/2 hr to be invoiced on PayPal. The goods were shipped within 2 hours and I was sent a tracking number (DPD).
Parcel arrived yesterday (Weds) which definitely exceeded my expectations. I’m pleased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just purchased some window bags from Van Essa in Germany. I called them and was asked to type ‘PayPal’ and my PayPal email address in the comments field, then commit to purchase.

PayPal robbed me with a rate of 109 & change but I have to say, Van Essa were on the ball and very communicative. This was Monday, took 1/2 hr to be invoiced on PayPal. The goods were shipped within 2 hours and I was sent a tracking number (DPD).
Parcel arrived yesterday (Weds) which definitely exceeded my expectations. I’m pleased.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Revolut was an aside and not meant as a way of paying on that specific website - apologies for taking the thread off topic.

Yes, sorry it was a little digression. However, if they accept PayPal then I reckon you can use Revolut through PayPal and avoid their currency charges.

Don't apologise, it's interesting. Every year I say I'm going to find an international payment card that really works well. I'm going to have a proper look at Revolut, it looks very promising.

There’s an updated section on Martin Lewis money wise that I was reading yesterday.

I have a Halifax Clarity Mastercard for non-Sterling transactions which has been perfect for us - no currency charges & a decent exchange rate.

Hello s2bear,
I'm sure that I'm being thick but we (well Mrs B actually, as I don't do PayPal) has carried out the instructions in your first paragraph (above). Subsequently, she has received an invoice from Van Essa but not a PayPal invoice. Was this what you received and how did you proceed from here? She has Emailed them to ask for a PayPal invoice but so far has heard nothing. Mrs B is now thinking of using the details to make a bank transfer having almost given up on PayPal. Any advice would be welcome.

I'm starting wonder how they manage to sell anything with all this rigmarole.

Last edited:
Just tried an online international bank transfer and it refused at the first fence. It didn't recognise the SWIFT BIC reference stated on the Van Essa invoice so I'm about to give up completely. If my local bank branch can't sort it tomorrow, Van Essa can keep their impossible to purchase window bags!

Not being able to pay using a debit, credit or pre-paid card is ridiculous in this day and age!

Hi Borris
If you paid via PayPal you automatically get confirmation email from them that you have made a transaction too. If you also log into PayPal it will show in your account transactions. This is safe and also PayPal protect you up to £500.00.
If you bank transfer the bank give you no back up or help in recovering your money.
Hope this helps.

Just tried an online international bank transfer and it refused at the first fence. It didn't recognise the SWIFT BIC reference stated on the Van Essa invoice so I'm about to give up completely. If my local bank branch can't sort it tomorrow, Van Essa can keep their impossible to purchase window bags!

Not being able to pay using a debit, credit or pre-paid card is ridiculous in this day and age!
It is ridiculous.

Ask one of your children to make the Paypal payment, and give them the cash.

International bank transfer charges are eye-wateringly high. I was charged £9.50 plus another £16.43 from the receiving bank (I managed to get the £16.43 refunded as I hadn't been warned in advance of this charge).

Hi Borris
If you paid via PayPal you automatically get confirmation email from them that you have made a transaction too. If you also log into PayPal it will show in your account transactions. This is safe and also PayPal protect you up to £500.00.
If you bank transfer the bank give you no back up or help in recovering your money.
Hope this helps.
Thanks Blueeyeboy,
The trouble is actually getting to pay via PayPal would be great but so far we've had no luck. Mrs B has requested a PayPal invoice and will attempt to pay if and when we receive one. I haven't a clue about PayPal as I don't usually get involved with that sort of thing and judging by our success so far neither does Mrs B. Hopefully, we can get this sorted out tomorrow. We have had small people pulling us this way and that today so haven't really been able to concentrate on it. The whole thing is extremely frustrating when it doesn't need to be!

Back