Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is roof corrosion coming?

D

deccauk

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Should I be worried or not - that is the question?

Having just taken ownership of a 2011 Cali with no signs of any corrosion yet, am I now safe after 4 years?

How many owners have NOT had this problem on Calis older than three or four years?

I'm not exactly sure just now where I should be looking to spot it, or even if there are any preventative measures that can be taken to hold it at bay.

I was disappointed that our 2012 Van had no signs of corrosion on the roof until Nov 2014 I would rather have it and have it fixed. Glad when it started. Remember VW are giving 6 year cover from new on this manufacturing issue. I would keep an eye on it enjoy your Cali fully. You need to check under rubber seal on main roof as well as looking ar main front section

Enjoy the cali.

If it happens it happens. It is not rot, it is a galvanic reaction. VW have owned up to the problem and are fixing it when it occurs. If it occurs it is not a heart-stopper. Some of us had adolescent spots, some of us didn't. Doesn't really matter when you reach my age and can still strut on on the dance floor... even if the zimmer does need wheels .... :(

Should I be worried or not - that is the question?

Having just taken ownership of a 2011 Cali with no signs of any corrosion yet, am I now safe after 4 years?
No, you shouldn't worry, it's pointless :)

As above - shouldn't worry but I have reliably been told that 99% of the vehicles that have the problem at the front, which is quite easy to spot, will have the same problem on the roof. The roof normally starts to go a little later I believe, and this is certainly my experience with an 11 plate beach. My front section is looking pretty awful, but the roof is only just starting to bubble. Most common place for it to go is near the seal at the back of the vehicle - I was told to pull back the seal and check both corners on the rear very carefully. Easy to have fixed _ apparently, though the wait is enormous. I'm still waiting for a fixing date 14 months on .... and on ...

Enjoy the cali.

If it happens it happens. It is not rot, it is a galvanic reaction. VW have owned up to the problem and are fixing it when it occurs. If it occurs it is not a heart-stopper. Some of us had adolescent spots, some of us didn't. Doesn't really matter when you reach my age and can still strut on on the dance floor... even if the zimmer does need wheels .... :(

Correction Granny Jen, it is only being fixed on vehicles less than 6 years old. The galvanic reaction on my cali front panel has now starting to spread across the panel.

John

Does anyone have any pictures of this.
I have checked my 2012 vehicle, but cant see any problems so far...???

Does anyone have any pictures of this.
I have checked my 2012 vehicle, but cant see any problems so far...???

The latest issue of VW Bus (#38) carries a full article answering many questions / misconceptions on this issue and showing a Cali roof undergoing the front panel and roof edges warranty work and process, which may be helpful...

Thanks David. I will grab an issue to take a look

Back