Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the Brandrup Iso-Top roof insulation worth having?

Apologies for the weird premiere thing I can't seem to disable it.
You should be on Blue Peter... do they still have BP???

Not sure what you mean by the weird thing? Couldn't see any glitches...

You should be on Blue Peter... do they still have BP???

Not sure what you mean by the weird thing? Couldn't see any glitches...
Lol it was counting down from 2 minutes but it seems to have stopped.

i have no idea if there is still a BP never did make my Thunderbirds Island ;)

Addition its really important in the beach to ensure you put the canvas under the small tabs in the roof made of seat belt material. This will stop any perforations or tears from the mechanism.

We installed our ISO-TOP in a 6 earlier this month in freezing temperatures. Ran the heater in the van for 20 minutes or so and then kept it on for a while after. Bear in mind that there is a point in the instructions (after attaching the adhesive) where you need to leave it 2 days or so to set, before you can complete the installation.

Two trips in it so far and it’s invaluable!

I finally took the plunge and bought an isotop from the club shop (great service BTW).
It's arrived in Grey.... From recent photos I was expecting it to be white (and were the earlier models blue?).
I'm chuffed it's "Cali" grey, but thought I'd throw my confusion into the discussion here.

I finally took the plunge and bought an isotop from the club shop (great service BTW).
It's arrived in Grey.... From recent photos I was expecting it to be white (and were the earlier models blue?).
I'm chuffed it's "Cali" grey, but thought I'd throw my confusion into the discussion here.

Ours is grey, purchased direct from Brandrup August this year.

Does anyone know of any fitting videos for the mark vi? Considering getting one but concerned about how tricky it will be to fit. Thx.

its easy really just follow the video matt has made

Is that the one for the beach? I should have said it’s an ocean fitting I was after... my understanding is they’re a bit different?

Only the front bit that entails fitting plastic flaps into the roof lining no drilling straight forward

We found it really easy to be fair – wish we’d made a YouTube video though as we’d be millionaires by now. I agree the instructions aren’t great though.

Some questions as we’ll be ordering and hopefully fitting soon.

The 48 hrs to cure the adhesive:
  1. Does the pop top have to stay up for that time?
  2. Should the temperature be kept at 18 degrees for that time?
The 18 degrees?
  1. Is it the temp for the ambient environment or the temp the metal needs to be?
  2. If the metal, do you think you could heat the metal with a hair dryer?
Does it matter if it’s rainy/damp outside?

Hi Elly,
If it helps, I fitted mine in about 12 deg and didn’t have access to a hairdryer and didn’t think to turn on the heater, so it was all at ambient.
6 months later I have just had the Velcro pull off the metal in one small part of the front corner at each side at the bottom I slept in the van in -5 last week and it was perfectly comfortable. In summer time I may re-stick the velcro but it is not a big issue as only about 5-10cm.

Some questions as we’ll be ordering and hopefully fitting soon.

The 48 hrs to cure the adhesive:
  1. Does the pop top have to stay up for that time?
  2. Should the temperature be kept at 18 degrees for that time?
The 18 degrees?
  1. Is it the temp for the ambient environment or the temp the metal needs to be?
  2. If the metal, do you think you could heat the metal with a hair dryer?
Does it matter if it’s rainy/damp outside?

I left mine up for about 24 hours but did drop it down at night as I didn't want to leave it up.
I think the 18c is just ideal and the ambient temp there are plenty of folks who have done it in quite cold weather. My suggestion would to let the glue cure for a few more days if its colder just to be sure.

@Pattacat
For the ocean/SE there is no drilling which is wonderful, just use the same technique for the rear tabs with cards or laminated card to get the tabs in at the front and you should be good.

If anyone in the midlands is ever fitting a Ocean one let me know I could film the tabs for an additional video.

Hi does anyone know if the roof has to stay up (and keep the temperature at circa 18C) for the adhesive to stick? Cheers

It is a recommended temperature and I put my roof down at the night but did leave it for 48 hours. If it gets too cold the glue will take longer to cure and stick firmly.

Many folks have installed it in colder weather. Ideally it would be good to get inside for a winter install but not easy or spring time.

Last edited:
I think if the instructions say 18 degrees there must be a valid reason.
It is true that some people install it anyway and it was "fine", we would have to see if it remains "fine" in the long term, a couple of years later ..

The BBC will announce when it's 'National Brandrup Day' when it's 18c all over the UK and thousands of pounds of accessories will be fitted.

I've just put the velcro in. About 11C today and adhesion is fine. Its not great if you need to have a second go at lining it up. Will have to bring the roof down in a couple of hours time but will leave it alone for 48 hours. I can see if the metal was very cold it wouldn't bond. Once bonded can't see that deteriorating over time. I think its precautionary stuff.