Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the Brandrup Iso-Top roof insulation worth having?

Having fitted two of these in my previous Calis ( SE and Beach), I can confirm that there is nothing difficult about fitting these liners.
However, regarding the ambient temperature for fitting the tape, I'm sure that Brandrup have been advised by the manufacturers of the velcro tape that the minimum temperature of 18° will give the optimum conditions for good long term adhesion. Since the long term adhesive qualities seems to rely on a chemical reaction taking place, the success of which partly depends on the correct temperature, personally I would "adhere" to their instructions fully. It stands to reason that if you don't follow the Brandrup recommended fitting instructions then it is more likely that the velcro tape will become unstuck at some point.

Before Christmas I purchased another Brandrup Isotop liner for our latest brand new Beach but will not attempt to fit it until the conditions are right.

The Isotop arrived, but as it has to be at least 18 degrees before you can attach the fixing strip we didn't get round to installing it till a week ago. As everyone says, pushing the black velcro tabs into the gap in the roof lining at the front is a real pain, though we eventually managed it using a wooden spatula as others advised. But the main thing to report back is that Cali Kev was right and Mrs Brandrup was wrong...the very early SE models (ours is 2005) must have a slightly different roof bellows construction as some fixing tabs were in the wrong place. Rather than send it back I managed to unpick and re-sew some tabs and added additional velcro, and it now fits pretty snugly - but it was a lot of work. Not tried it out yet, but I'm hoping the extra insulation and light proofing will make it all worthwhile!
Hi. I hope its ok I reply to this old post. I have a California T5 2005 model , and from whet I now understand the roof are a bit different on the 2005 Cali than newer models. I then wonder. Are you happy with your own custom adjustments to make it fit. It’s maybe not long enough down on the sides, since the roof is slightly higher? Which one do you ordered or wish one do you recommend from this models: I was thinking maybe go for the part nr: 100 701 066 : https://www.brandrup.de/en/brandrup...rior/iso-top-pop-up-roof-insulation-vw-t6-t5/

Super interested to hear what you recommend and experiences over time .

I left mine up for about 24 hours but did drop it down at night as I didn't want to leave it up.
I think the 18c is just ideal and the ambient temp there are plenty of folks who have done it in quite cold weather. My suggestion would to let the glue cure for a few more days if its colder just to be sure.

@Pattacat
For the ocean/SE there is no drilling which is wonderful, just use the same technique for the rear tabs with cards or laminated card to get the tabs in at the front and you should be good.

If anyone in the midlands is ever fitting a Ocean one let me know I could film the tabs for an additional video.
Thanks for the support and advice, Matt.

I’m just about to fit a Mark V Isotop to my MY18 Ocean. In the bag was this piece of cord about 1.7 m long with two Velcro tabs on each end (black hooks on one side, grey loops on back). This item isn’t mentioned anywhere I can see in the instructions or any web video. Anyone got any ideas what it’s for?!B6ABE8D7-54E5-416F-B3FA-A9ADE9A443C6.jpeg

@inigo_wren We have the Isotp VI so I'm not 100% sure, however I'm sure I've watch Mark V videos before and never seen that. Could it be for the bag/packaging everything came in?

@inigo_wren We have the Isotp VI so I'm not 100% sure, however I'm sure I've watch Mark V videos before and never seen that. Could it be for the bag/packaging everything came in?
Thanks, that reassures me. It did look very purposeful wrapped up by an elastic band along with the Velcro strips for the top sides, but you’re probably right!

Thanks, that reassures me. It did look very purposeful wrapped up by an elastic band along with the Velcro strips for the top sides, but you’re probably right!

I would keep it with you just in case there becomes an obvious place for it! Enjoy the ISO-TOP — it was invaluable to us this winter, glad we managed to get away so much before lockdown!

I’m just about to fit a Mark V Isotop to my MY18 Ocean. In the bag was this piece of cord about 1.7 m long with two Velcro tabs on each end (black hooks on one side, grey loops on back). This item isn’t mentioned anywhere I can see in the instructions or any web video. Anyone got any ideas what it’s for?!View attachment 59506
If you got it from the forum shop ask them.

I did, so will try that, thanks. I emailed brandrup too but suspect I won’t be able to resist fitting it before I hear back from them.
My Mk4 didn’t have one so I wonder if it’s related to the fully opening front window on the newer Calis?

I’m just about to fit a Mark V Isotop to my MY18 Ocean. In the bag was this piece of cord about 1.7 m long with two Velcro tabs on each end (black hooks on one side, grey loops on back). This item isn’t mentioned anywhere I can see in the instructions or any web video. Anyone got any ideas what it’s for?!View attachment 59506
Mine arrived in Feb from the forum shop but haven’t fitted it yet. Just opened the completely sealed Brandup bag and don’t have that cord.

If it was in the box and not the bag It was probably in there by accident and belongs to something else!

Just a thought, if it is long enough and stretchy "cannot see from the picture" it may be Brandrups version of the Pop top Bungee ? they may use a velcro attachment rather than the toggle that is used by the club shop version.

Just a thought, if it is long enough and stretchy "cannot see from the picture" it may be Brandrups version of the Pop top Bungee ? they may use a velcro attachment rather than the toggle that is used by the club shop version.
Doubt if it would be long enough at 1.7metre, it would need to stretch too much.

Me neither we are awaiting a reply from Mr brandrup

Ok I have just spoken to Brandrup the additional cord is for use with VW T6.1/T6 California-models with big front opening.

California's with the big front opening do not have the batten in the bow window. The cord replaces the batten for fastening the rolled down front window of the ISO-TOP.

Hope this makes sense

Ok I have just spoken to Brandrup the additional cord is for use with VW T6.1/T6 California-models with big front opening.

California's with the big front opening do not have the batten in the bow window. The cord replaces the batten for fastening the rolled down front window of the ISO-TOP.

Hope this makes sense
Thank you for the update Martin. I purchased the ISOTOP from the club shop and mine did not have one of these included. My T6 is the later vehicle with the fully opening front, so I guess I should have one of these as an upgrade part. I will contact the shop for comment to see if they have information from Brandrup. Nick.

Thank you for the update Martin. I purchased the ISOTOP from the club shop and mine did not have one of these included. My T6 is the later vehicle with the fully opening front, so I guess I should have one of these as an upgrade part. I will contact the shop for comment to see if they have information from Brandrup. Nick.

Just had another message from Brandrup, infact the cord is only for the T6.1 and not the T6, I have no idea what the difference is in the opening of the T6 and T6.1?

Just had another message from Brandrup, infact the cord is only for the T6.1 and not the T6, I have no idea what the difference is in the opening of the T6 and T6.1?
Thanks so much for everyone’s investigative work here! I’ve now successfully installed my isotop mark V in T6 MY18 Ocean (ie not big front opening) and definitely found no use for this (non-stretchy) cord. So, if anyone wants my cord, I’ll send it for free!

Thanks so much for everyone’s investigative work here! I’ve now successfully installed my isotop mark V in T6 MY18 Ocean (ie not big front opening) and definitely found no use for this (non-stretchy) cord. So, if anyone wants my cord, I’ll send it for free!
Hello there and glad your install went well. Could I have the cord please as I have the full opening front ISOTOP which is the same as the 6.1. Could you mail me at nicolas.hirst. + sky. c o m sorry had to break up the address change the as the site does not like full email address. hope it works and makes sense. Many thanks Nick.

Hello there and glad your install went well. Could I have the cord please as I have the full opening front ISOTOP which is the same as the 6.1. Could you mail me at nicolas.hirst. + sky. c o m sorry had to break up the address change the as the site does not like full email address. hope it works and makes sense. Many thanks Nick.
The Plus sign in between Hirst and sky should be the at sign but the site changed it to +

The Plus sign in between Hirst and sky should be the at sign but the site changed it to +
you are unlikely to have any use for this cord. You have a T6 with full front opening. Same as me. If you have the Isotop VI, i.e. with the full front opening, same as me, you'll have no use for this cord.
Mark V is for T6/T6,1 with full front opening, but the Isotop V itself doesn't have a full front opening.
The Mark VI is also for t6 with full front opening AND the Isotop itself has full front opening.

you are unlikely to have any use for this cord. You have a T6 with full front opening. Same as me. If you have the Isotop VI, i.e. with the full front opening, same as me, you'll have no use for this cord.
Mark V is for T6/T6,1 with full front opening, but the Isotop V itself doesn't have a full front opening.
The Mark VI is also for t6 with full front opening AND the Isotop itself has full front opening.
All makes sense now. The cord must have been included with mark V to allow it to be used in a newer full front opening top, as a (rather flimsy) equivalent to the batten which is in the middle of the older semi-circle front opening, stretched from top to bottom and attached by the Velcro tabs. Maybe there was a time when the new Cali with the full front opening was available but Brandrup hadn’t yet come up with the mark VI isotop, and this modification of the mark V was the best available? It would be a shame to have the lovely big opening and have only a semicircle in your isotop to peer through.