Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there anyone who is happy with ther GC?

T3Z-GB

Great news for me, err i mean you obviously full time in a 600
Be great to hear pro/cons as your adventure continues. I do like the rugged look of a conversion but if i could change the wheels and put some of my own artwork on the sides, would change my thoughts possibly. Also always fancied a small sun deck on the roof, dunno if this is possible but now probably getting more into conversion territory. As a full timer your going to want more than the ones sitting on a drive weeks at a time. Not that there's anything wrong with that

You could get in touch with Elite wheels they seem to offer wheels and tyres for new Crafters. They may help and advise on tyres for you.
Just what I was looking for! Thank you for the link. The Warlords look nice, Paired with BFG’s should give the much needed traction.

Just what I was looking for! Thank you for the link. The Warlords look nice, Paired with BFG’s should give the much needed traction.
Might be wrong but you may need to have your lights realigned particularly if you have LED and your speedo re calibrated, just a thought. Like to know what they advise on the offset ie 60 v 35 as I would like to do the same but not with BFG’s as would use the Michelin’s Crossclimate.

Finally very happy with the 600, took 2 dealer visits and around a week in total off the road at the dealership but finally all the problems are sorted.
In the 2.5 months of ownership from new we have done 6400 miles, it’s easy to drive, but with a few expected rattles.

We live full time in the 600 so in a couple months can update on the liveability during the winter months in the UK. (South West)
Im also looking for off-road tires, I’m leaning towards the BFG KO2 245/70/17 not sure if they will fit. If not, might have to go down in rim size, not sure.

There loads of YouTube videos with upgrading the crafters wheels but most are the older crafters. Not sure if they are different but some people manage to fit the above mentioned tires.
Volkstrek have these which I like the look of. I would like to see what white ones on a white van would look like. Sadly they haven’t found a solution for the BFGs to fit and be weight rated for the 680 without cutting out plastic from the arches which i would rather avoid.

547D21C1-DB0F-45A9-B701-27C765CAC80C.jpeg

8325C925-1E65-459C-8FA4-4F278B2CF819.jpeg

No problem. Look forward to seeing what you go for. Just watch the off set (ET) but sure Elite can advise.

We are loving our GC680. Been away nearly every weekend since we got it and a couple of longer trips. Compared to our T5 it’s so much more comfortable and enjoyable. It’s wet this weekend but that’s fine. Before it really put a dampener on the trip. For us and the two dogs the living area works great especially now with the mini table. The bed is great. Only issues we have had is the lack of second gas connection but that’s not really a problem. I’ve had to sort the router connection and regrout the toilet which was a pest. We were in our friends rapido last weekend and for 4 folk having drinks it’s definitely more comfortable but it’s a big old beast for the narrow roads up here.
The van drives so well. Fuel consumption is about 27mpg. The driver assists are great. The Apple play is great too.
i really like the look of the interior rather than the more traditional look. The cupboards above the bed are maybe not the most useful shape but plenty of them. The younger dogs crate fits perfectly in the garage and the bed with a topper is really comfy.
I had big plans for lifting it and changing the wheels and wrapping it but after 2 months I am really quite happy with it as it is. Maybe some all season tyres. The 4motion definitely gives confidence and plan on trips all through winter. The heating is great and so much more subtle and effective than the heater in the T5. Also the aircon is nice and not too loud. Will make all the difference when we finally get back over to France.
I think the biggest difference is the sheer ease of packing up and heading off vs the T5. Ok, parking has on a couple of occasions proved an issue but for how we use it most of the time it’s really a small con vs the pros. I mean getting up to pee in the night in the GC vs sleeping in the roof of the T5 and drudging in the rain to the toilet block is almost worth the difference in cost.
Having the forum is great and really helpful however , sometimes reading all the issues folk have puts a negative feel on ownership even when you’ve not had the problems. Can make it feel like you’ve bought a very expensive turkey and you’re just waiting for the moment it all goes wrong.
I am sitting surrounded by various vans and motorhomes and I wouldn’t swap the GC… not yet anyway.

You could get in touch with Elite wheels they seem to offer wheels and tyres for new Crafters. They may help and advise on tyres for you.
Not sure if these fit a Crafter/GC but I’ve just put these on my 6.1 Coast; 8x18 Wolfrace Explore and Falken WildPeak AT3WA (an alternative to BFGs, and although only about 50 miles done so far no noticeable difference to the ‘summer’ tyres).

3018C95D-E988-4F72-8869-068B5C62C1AE.jpeg

We are loving our GC680. Been away nearly every weekend since we got it and a couple of longer trips. Compared to our T5 it’s so much more comfortable and enjoyable. It’s wet this weekend but that’s fine. Before it really put a dampener on the trip. For us and the two dogs the living area works great especially now with the mini table. The bed is great. Only issues we have had is the lack of second gas connection but that’s not really a problem. I’ve had to sort the router connection and regrout the toilet which was a pest. We were in our friends rapido last weekend and for 4 folk having drinks it’s definitely more comfortable but it’s a big old beast for the narrow roads up here.
The van drives so well. Fuel consumption is about 27mpg. The driver assists are great. The Apple play is great too.
i really like the look of the interior rather than the more traditional look. The cupboards above the bed are maybe not the most useful shape but plenty of them. The younger dogs crate fits perfectly in the garage and the bed with a topper is really comfy.
I had big plans for lifting it and changing the wheels and wrapping it but after 2 months I am really quite happy with it as it is. Maybe some all season tyres. The 4motion definitely gives confidence and plan on trips all through winter. The heating is great and so much more subtle and effective than the heater in the T5. Also the aircon is nice and not too loud. Will make all the difference when we finally get back over to France.
I think the biggest difference is the sheer ease of packing up and heading off vs the T5. Ok, parking has on a couple of occasions proved an issue but for how we use it most of the time it’s really a small con vs the pros. I mean getting up to pee in the night in the GC vs sleeping in the roof of the T5 and drudging in the rain to the toilet block is almost worth the difference in cost.
Having the forum is great and really helpful however , sometimes reading all the issues folk have puts a negative feel on ownership even when you’ve not had the problems. Can make it feel like you’ve bought a very expensive turkey and you’re just waiting for the moment it all goes wrong.
I am sitting surrounded by various vans and motorhomes and I wouldn’t swap the GC… not yet anyway.
Great write up, thanks for sharing your experience to date, good to hear generally positive things about the GC.

Despite the ongoing issues with our kitchen tap we are absolutely loving our GC 680 and know we made the right decision. No other problems at all. Perfect space for us and our two dogs. Only managed a few short trips. Currently on NC 500 9 day trip and only clocked up 3000 miles in total since 30 December 2020. Looking forward to husband retiring when we can travel a lot more!

Early days for us yet, as we're currently limited to running around level 3 Auckland, but overall we're pleased with all the versatility that the GC offers over the full-size motorhome we've traded down from.
This is an 'everyday' vehicle to the point where now we're selling 'my' car (Joy is keeping hers).
The things that have really impressed us are the 4wd, the light non-taxing steering, all the safety features, the comfort of the beds, the way the lane keeping assist makes the GC immune to strong wind gusts, and the overall quality.

Back