Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there increasing resistance against EV’s?

anyone watching 5th gear-recharged ? even the program about EV's is boring. they tested 2 vans. both had terrible range

* Let's agree to skip the bit where I'm told that exams are all so much easier nowadays, and PhDs are handed out like sweets.
Coming from another Dr Haydn PhD, I would say they are a lot easier to come by compared to the USA, where a minimum 5-6 years study is required. Glad I got mine in the UK back in the 80's when it was tax payer subsidized :cheers

I guessing that the current crop of EVs on our roads may not meet Euro7 standards due to come into force in 2025.

► Next round of emissions testing – Euro 7 – due in 2025
► Set to move focus onto electric cars and components
► Setting standards for batteries and microplastics

Is there an increasing backlash against EV's ?
No, just the usual boomers fearing change.

Is it really necessary to refer to people of certain generations with a derisory title indicating we all move as a herd?

As a person born just after the end of WW2 I embrace and hunger for change. Why not? Would I want my children and grandchildren growing up with filthy dirty streets, grime and gloom everywhere, austerity, hard manual grind just to keep house, kids and clothes washed, goods on ration? The generations you refer to as boomers were the ones who fought for change. If we don't change, don't constantly and restlessly search for improvement, nothing goes forward, it just stands still and decays.

If I am fearful of one thing, one "new" thing, it is the effect of social media on our young kids, my grandsons, and the way we formulate and treat opinion. Yes, if someones said it on Facebook or published it in a cheap rag then it must be right? No. Please, use brains, test evidence, think independently.

Yes, in your parlance I'm a boomer, but I'm not fossilised yet.

Is it really necessary to refer to people of certain generations with a derisory title indicating we all move as a herd?

As a person born just after the end of WW2 I embrace and hunger for change. Why not? Would I want my children and grandchildren growing up with filthy dirty streets, grime and gloom everywhere, austerity, hard manual grind just to keep house, kids and clothes washed, goods on ration? The generations you refer to as boomers were the ones who fought for change. If we don't change, don't constantly and restlessly search for improvement, nothing goes forward, it just stands still and decays.

If I am fearful of one thing, one "new" thing, it is the effect of social media on our young kids, my grandsons, and the way we formulate and treat opinion. Yes, if someones said it on Facebook or published it in a cheap rag then it must be right? No. Please, use brains, test evidence, think independently.

Yes, in your parlance I'm a boomer, but I'm not fossilised yet.
Ok Boomer ;)

No you're absolutely right, we shouldn't stereotype generations, that goes both ways.
Post war generation embraced huge change, but as we get older it gets harder, at least it does for me.

I share your concerns regarding social media, previous generations got their opinions from the 'establishment', did they always tell the truth? There will always be sections of society, the vulnerable, the mindless and the masses that can be manipulated, but there's nothing new there, just new ways to do it. Use of brains, evidence and thinking independently will never go out of fashion. I have confidence in the young, most know when they are being played, they will learn to adapt, embrace and thrive just as previous generations did.

Anyway, never my intention to discuss generational divide. I'm not as young as I'd like to be anyway.

However...
I still think many 'boomers' are emotive about the decline of ICE as in some ways it defines their generation. the whole of the post war boom was built on oil.
I still think many younger people couldn't care less about cars, they're more interested in going to the gym.

Ok Boomer ;)

I still think many younger people couldn't care less about cars, they're more interested in going to the gym.
Thank you :D

I don't give a damn about my cars and campers, it drives my son nuts when her visits and almost begs me to at least give the poor things a clean ..... but then, I've just come back from the gym ...:)

EV'S the new BETAMAX i fear lol
we weren't forced to buy a betamax top loader by the government though.
No EV’s but a very strong smell of vehicle fumes in the towns & lots of plastic polluting the beaches.

Had a works trip near there last Sept..this made me laugh..View attachment 104442
I had a similar thought on the m62 for 2 days going to Leeds massive heavy traffic for miles and apart from a couple of Tesla I thought how the hell are we going to electrify this lot? And charge it all that night?
Love Samui. Is the crashed airliner still on the side of runway there? Pilot died. Is green mango still going in chewing? Happy days there

Ok Boomer ;)

No you're absolutely right, we shouldn't stereotype generations, that goes both ways.
Post war generation embraced huge change, but as we get older it gets harder, at least it does for me.

I share your concerns regarding social media, previous generations got their opinions from the 'establishment', did they always tell the truth? There will always be sections of society, the vulnerable, the mindless and the masses that can be manipulated, but there's nothing new there, just new ways to do it. Use of brains, evidence and thinking independently will never go out of fashion. I have confidence in the young, most know when they are being played, they will learn to adapt, embrace and thrive just as previous generations did.

Anyway, never my intention to discuss generational divide. I'm not as young as I'd like to be anyway.

However...
I still think many 'boomers' are emotive about the decline of ICE as in some ways it defines their generation. the whole of the post war boom was built on oil.
I think if people are really bothered about the climate they need to stop being consumers stop buying stuff,keep your old car the impact is far less than creating new ev car plants,stop buying bigger houses that need more energy to heat etc etc.The government loves consumers it means they need to work till they drop to feed the addiction.I have spent far too much time at work 7 days a week I have now seen the light, life is short enjoy what you have spend time doing the things you enjoy.

Just for ref... A new Abarth EV costs between £38.5K and £42K..

For a small sporty runabout.

The old outgoing 695 Abarth was £28K

What is the extra £10-12K buying me?

Just for ref... A new Abarth EV costs between £38.5K and £42K..

For a small sporty runabout.

The old outgoing 695 Abarth was £28K

What is the extra £10-12K buying me?
Frequent charging stops!, (Range on the Abarth is less than the ‘non Abarth’.)

That’s far too expensive. All EV’s are brisk…so I can’t see why people will pay a premium just to have a Abarth badge. Will take some very creative marketing!

ok so i had a nissan leaf on company car scheme - 270 a month all in except electric. It was brilliant and charging it at night on 7per kWh was ridiculously cheap. BUT and this is a big but - it was only useful and good for short journeys up to 80 miles return. Above that you need to factor in the whole rapid charge en route and I had so many awful experiences that i ended up buying a California ! Charge points were largely faulty or in use and had to queue so just not appropriate, i would say 40% of long journeys were a disaster. We did take it camping before the cali but ended up spending the whole holiday organising it around where charge points were - no thanks. Still they are way way superior for those short journeys, fast and efficient and the pre-heat or cool is brilliant. Never had to defrost etc.

Took an EV for a day whilst our car was in for service. We were Interested in how it drove and most importantly what the range would be in real world situations. Driving experience really was ok: it accelerated in an impressive way, the heating took ages to reach a comfortable temperature, but seemed fine, the handling was as good as the diesel car we run, however the range was not great as the battery dropped from 80% to 48% in about 54 miles of open road driving our style! So not for us.
Last night I drove home from Bristol, 220 miles, in about 4 hours in the California, easy drive quiet and fast and probably used about 35ltrs of fuel.

we weren't forced to buy a betamax top loader by the government though.
I had a similar thought on the m62 for 2 days going to Leeds massive heavy traffic for miles and apart from a couple of Tesla I thought how the hell are we going to electrify this lot? And charge it all that night?
Love Samui. Is the crashed airliner still on the side of runway there? Pilot died. Is green mango still going in chewing? Happy days there
And there it is in a nut shell, stuck in traffic going nowhere.

Propulsion aside, the crime today is the lack of utilization and single occupancy journeys. If you can increase the utility of any vehicle today (we use car sharing) or in the future it becomes autonomous then the game changes.

Here is our setup:
  • Shorter range EV that we rent out on a car share app.
  • Long trips we do the same in the opposite direction and borrow a Tesla.
  • Car charges on green / cheap electric.
  • Down scaled from a Tesla to an I3s so we could pocket some change and do the above with less worry.
Most people in Sweden can replicate the above and even make some extra cash doing it with or without an EV, lots run on ethanol or HV0.

The problem isn’t generational, it’s societal.

Just on the EV debate, prices will fall considerably in 2023 and you can make ethical choices on cars that already exist like we did, you don’t need new. As for range, it’s a laggard argument, look at your usage and buy accordingly, we overbought on the Tesla and needed a battery a third of the size.

Last edited:
ok so i had a nissan leaf on company car scheme - 270 a month all in except electric. It was brilliant and charging it at night on 7per kWh was ridiculously cheap. BUT and this is a big but - it was only useful and good for short journeys up to 80 miles return. Above that you need to factor in the whole rapid charge en route and I had so many awful experiences that i ended up buying a California ! Charge points were largely faulty or in use and had to queue so just not appropriate, i would say 40% of long journeys were a disaster. We did take it camping before the cali but ended up spending the whole holiday organising it around where charge points were - no thanks. Still they are way way superior for those short journeys, fast and efficient and the pre-heat or cool is brilliant. Never had to defrost etc.
The Leaf also uses the Type 2 and CHAdeMO connectors which are difficult to find on the new install chargers which makes life even harder, why they chose these goodness knows, CCS Type 2 is fast becoming the norm.

I think that all we need do is look across the North Sea at Norway for the future of EVs.

Norway has abundant low carbon electricity mainly from hydro.

We too will have, at some point, abundant low carbon electricity: much from wind, but if tech is going the way I think it might, increasingly from tidal.

The basic infrastructure is already there for charging. Even a small petrol filling station could be converted to a coffee shop with 20 charging points. Great big motorway service stations could have several hundred charging points.

Laying upgraded electricity cables is trivial in the grander scheme of things.

Large motorway service stations often have an added advantage of being in rural locations where land is cheaper. Could the area around also be a solar and/or wind farm to give a boost to grid fed electricity on windy and/or sunny days?

But for now, an electric car makes little sense for us, unless the midget Citroen Ami as a second vehicle for short shopping trips in London, visiting elderly parents, or driving to woodland for muddy dog walks. The cost of a larger EV is prohibitive.

I think that all we need do is look across the North Sea at Norway for the future of EVs.

Norway has abundant low carbon electricity mainly from hydro.

We too will have, at some point, abundant low carbon electricity: much from wind, but if tech is going the way I think it might, increasingly from tidal.

The basic infrastructure is already there for charging. Even a small petrol filling station could be converted to a coffee shop with 20 charging points. Great big motorway service stations could have several hundred charging points.

Laying upgraded electricity cables is trivial in the grander scheme of things.

Large motorway service stations often have an added advantage of being in rural locations where land is cheaper. Could the area around also be a solar and/or wind farm to give a boost to grid fed electricity on windy and/or sunny days?

But for now, an electric car makes little sense for us, unless the midget Citroen Ami as a second vehicle for short shopping trips in London, visiting elderly parents, or driving to woodland for muddy dog walks. The cost of a larger EV is prohibitive.
Speaking of Norway, they have already sussed the whole EV problem and the main drawback ie Charging the battery when away from homebase.

Speaking of Norway, they have already sussed the whole EV problem and the main drawback ie Charging the battery when away from homebase.

Try driving in Northern Norway. Knordkapp have free parking and entrance for anyone arriving in an EV. Since introducing this, 5 yrs ago, they've yet to have an EV visit.

Back