Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Isle of Harris this May

paulevans

paulevans

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We've got a trip planned to the Isle of Harris at the end of May and I was wondering if any of the VWCC collective have any advice on campsites and/or wildcamping spots.

I'm travelling up with the good wife and two girls (7 & 10). We intend to try to do the drive from home (w'mere) to Ullapool in one hope on the Friday evening and wild camp over night before we get the ferry to Stornaway the following morning. We'll be going in convoy with friends who have a motor home.

Hoping to take the mtb's and inflatable canoe with us, space permitting. I'm thinking of getting roof bars so that I can use the roof box that's sat in the garage. Is there any general advice on roof boxes, people's experiences?

Also, midges!! Problem or not a problem in May?

Thanks in anticipation.

There is a lovely campsite in Ullapool, right by the water. If I were doing it, I would be awfully tempted to get the ferry from Oban and drive north through the islands, the scenery just gets better and better. Can't remember specific sites but you'll find a few threads on here where there are some amazing places listed. Midges won't be a problem, they're grounded in the sort of wind speeds you'll get in May ;-)

I particularly liked Horgabost Camping and Wild Camping on the west coast of Harris

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=8648
read the reviews.

A few feet from a fabulous beach. No electrics but good showers and stuff in portacabins (I know this last bit sounds anything but wild). Good grass surface. Honesty box.
Weather can be very VERY wild.

It's a few miles from Scarista House which is the cosiest small hotel (old manse i think) with probably the best food in Scotland: different fabulous no-choice menu every night. Rivals Skye's 3 Chimneys.

Good luck

There is a lovely campsite in Ullapool, right by the water. If I were doing it, I would be awfully tempted to get the ferry from Oban and drive north through the islands, the scenery just gets better and better. Can't remember specific sites but you'll find a few threads on here where there are some amazing places listed. Midges won't be a problem, they're grounded in the sort of wind speeds you'll get in May ;-)

+1 for the wriggle northwards (Island Hopper ticket?)

20140716_112910_resized.jpg 20140716_110854_resized.jpg 20140716_113714_resized.jpg 20140715_155133_resized.jpg
I particularly liked Horgabost Camping and Wild Camping on the west coast of Harris

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=8648
read the reviews.

A few feet from a fabulous beach. No electrics but good showers and stuff in portacabins (I know this last bit sounds anything but wild). Good grass surface. Honesty box.
Weather can be very VERY wild.

It's a few miles from Scarista House which is the cosiest small hotel (old manse i think) with probably the best food in Scotland: different fabulous no-choice menu every night. Rivals Skye's 3 Chimneys.

Good luck

I was there in July 14 and a more fabulous spot you would be hard pressed to find

20140716_113714_resized.jpg 20140716_113714_resized.jpg