Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Isle of Man advice

Gez B

Gez B

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We are taking the ferry to the Isle of Man tomorrow just asking anyone who has been can they recommended any camping sites or places to see. :thanks

Municipal campsite at Laxey is great, at least it was about five years ago when we stayed. Was a playing field so has a big kitchen and loos etc. We stayed there a week and used the IOM go anywhere pass on the trams, buses train etc.

We stayed at Peel Camping Park a few years back. Central to the island, handy for the shops and good facilities.

We stayed at Peel Camping Park a few years back. Central to the island, handy for the shops and good facilities.
Thanks for the reply. We are at peel campsite now. Very quiet but good facilities

Thanks for the reply. We are at peel campsite now. Very quiet but good facilities

Timely post, we were thinking of going over there this summer, either that or Ireland (West Coast tour).

Be interested in your thoughts to IOM :)

Timely post, we were thinking of going over there this summer, either that or Ireland (West Coast tour).

Be interested in your thoughts to IOM :)
Beautiful scenery friendly people with what sounds like a Liverpool accent. Lots of nice little seaside towns that seem like they come from a bygone era. The island is quite small so you don't have to drive far to get to anywhere really. You can wild camp at certain places on the island and some campsites are free but you need to get a permit. You can research this online. The isle of Man ferry the Steam packet is very expensive, in fact it is nicknamed the steam racket. It is very quiet most of the time unless the TT or the GP motorbike racing is on. Me and my wife love it but it just depends what you want from a holiday. We have been here two days and it is great. Just remember it is an island and the weather can change from sun to wind and rain pretty quickly. Hope this helps

Beautiful scenery friendly people with what sounds like a Liverpool accent. Lots of nice little seaside towns that seem like they come from a bygone era. The island is quite small so you don't have to drive far to get to anywhere really. You can wild camp at certain places on the island and some campsites are free but you need to get a permit. You can research this online. The isle of Man ferry the Steam packet is very expensive, in fact it is nicknamed the steam racket. It is very quiet most of the time unless the TT or the GP motorbike racing is on. Me and my wife love it but it just depends what you want from a holiday. We have been here two days and it is great. Just remember it is an island and the weather can change from sun to wind and rain pretty quickly. Hope this helps

Thanks, quite used to island life, Western Isles and Islay done X2. :thumb

Tonight sitting in my california with the heater on drinking a nice merlot after a nice meal after a tour round the island I am feeling that buying a california is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Places like the western Isles and islay will be places I will visit in the future. Happy travels Teejay!

So what did you think of the island, and what was the best campsite? Thinking of going over again ourselves now while there’s a special offer on.

So what did you think of the island, and what was the best campsite? Thinking of going over again ourselves now while there’s a special offer on.
The island is great place to visit we toured all over and there are some beautiful places to see. The only problem is the cost of the ferry (the steam racket) we stayed at peel campsite and were the only people camping. It had all the amenities you need,showers,electric hookup,etc. You can stay at Ramsey or sulby and camp for free but you need to apply for a permit before you go. Because the. Island is only small it is easy to get anywhere where ever you stay. I will take my motorbike next time and go round the TT course, not quite as fast as John McGuiness.

Last time I did the TT course on my bike the average speed was 30mph! There was a pea souper on the mountains and couldn't see a thing!