Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It’s gone !!

Congrats on your Hymer! Just visited the dutch Hymer site and had a electronic look. What strikes me most, not only Hymer is the bench solutions camper van builders are using. It is so very much straight up that it feels I am sitting on a church bench . We had on various camper shows a look into various campervans and all (incl. VW GC!) but one brand (Westfalia Columbus, Sven Hedin and the ever so practical Joker) had those "church benches" . That's what is holding me/us back to trade in our Cali. In a Cali you have a comfortable seating and lot's of leg space . I don't really understand why the CV builders do not put more attention to that, I have asked various salesmen, but the either answer that every brand is having the same solution or they just shrug their shoulders...
Really like the Hymer 540 but we didn’t like the straight bench seat. We like the bench seat in the Cali because we always have it at angle. We tend to sit opposite each other .
The Sven hedin we looked at had a bench seat which wasn‘t straight ,in fact it made into a single bed . Nearly ordered one but too long at 6 M.

Congrats on your Hymer! Just visited the dutch Hymer site and had a electronic look. What strikes me most, not only Hymer is the bench solutions camper van builders are using. It is so very much straight up that it feels I am sitting on a church bench . We had on various camper shows a look into various campervans and all (incl. VW GC!) but one brand (Westfalia Columbus, Sven Hedin and the ever so practical Joker) had those "church benches" . That's what is holding me/us back to trade in our Cali. In a Cali you have a comfortable seating and lot's of leg space . I don't really understand why the CV builders do not put more attention to that, I have asked various salesmen, but the either answer that every brand is having the same solution or they just shrug their shoulders...
The Sven rear seat is adjustable and slides forwards and tilts back for travelling, only bolt up right if you want to sit someone in the opposite seat to provides extra room.
The joker rear seat isn’t upright either have you sat in one, very similar angle to the Cali.
Hope that helps:thumb

Interesting a we too have been starting to think/ look at Hymer. Specifically the Blue Evolution 540, but only online as we are in Scotland and currently no ‘live viewing’ available. Could you maybe answer a question as pix are difficult to assess…. Does the table stay in the up position (all pix show it like this). We have a Labrador and he needs his space to lie out and that seems the only sizeable floor space. Also is the walkway between the kitchen and wash room as narrow as it appears ?
Can fold down or remove. Also with electric handbrake there is a nice slack between the seats too.

Corridor is narrow but not uncomfortably so.

Really like the Hymer 540 but we didn’t like the straight bench seat. We like the bench seat in the Cali because we always have it at angle. We tend to sit opposite each other .
The Sven hedin we looked at had a bench seat which wasn‘t straight ,in fact it made into a single bed . Nearly ordered one but too long at 6 M.
Agree it’s pretty straight. Our 7 year old hasn’t complained about it though (unlike everything else)

The LWB T6.1 is also 5.4m. Go conversion if you would like to stick with VW. I don't like Fiat engines.
We have been very surprised by the new Ducato 8. We have the 180 and the torque is higher than the 204 VW. The 9 speed auto is excellent.

It’s more van like that the Cali though, driving position a bit more upright. Interestingly it’s on the Alko heavy chassis it has little roll, certainly compared to our Cali before we changed the suspension.

Congrats, I’m right behind you.
I’ve convinced myself on a Hymer and attracted to the 5,4m length van. Have you seen the Hymer back-rack. Looks a cool bit of kit

Please post more pics :thumb
It’s very cool. We have a temporary Atera off gumtree-doors open about halfway with it on.
It’s 3-4 months lead time for the back rack.

The answer is the fixed bed and washroom. probably around 2.4m of length taken up with that. With something only 0.5m longer than the Cali it has to come off somewhere and if you are going to offer a front dinette for 4 (just) and give plenty of room for the seats to swivel with ease and without adjustment then you only have space for an upright dinette,

The reason so many are like that is that is what the demand is for, especially the end bed and washroom, probably the two main reasons by far quoted for moving to something bigger than a cali.

If you want different then look at British manufacturers such as auto sleeper. They all tend to opt for what is the "UK" favoured configuration of two settees facing each other, a table plonked in a cupboard somewhere that fits in the centre space, and the ever Sao important oven. Of course what you then sacrifice is the end bed with cavernous storage underneath and you have the faff again of moving everything around when you want to go to bed.

Last edited:
I’ve talked to a few people and one well known travel writer said, it’s was liberating to change from a small Volks van into a Ducato platform. Again, says the pop top roof on this sort of van is a game changer, creates massive space on quite a small footprint.

There’s a great range of vans at 2 berth, for us we need 3/4. Therefore we have to spec the pop top. For me, the poptop is the least annoying thing about camping in the Cali and it’s where I usually sleep anyway.

Totally agree about the travel seats in our Hymer Grand Canyon S.
Front seats fantastic, travel seats abysmal, despite having isofix and covered in leather it's akin to sitting on a beer crate stuffed with straw.
We have two teenagers and a journey doesn't go by without complaint, we rotate every two hrs to ease the discomfort.
Hymer need to offer the option of better travel seat in poptop variant favoured by families.
I would love to fit an alternative seat such as below if I could find an installer.

We had a HymerCar 5.4 in 2018. I agree the bench seat/lounge area is not as spacious or as comfy as the California but as previously stated it is a compromise. We had the pop top and only used it a few times, however there was only the two of us. Two issues I would point out is that with the poptop roof ventilation is a bit restricted (particularly in the loo/shower room and more significantly we found a lot (LOT) of mould growing inside the pop top after a few weeks non use….. the fix is to open it a couple of times a month to allow an air exchange. We were virtually living in over winter so that may not have helped either. Our summary? A nice van but not much of a space saving over our previous 6 metre Globecar and for what we wanted offered us no real advantage …. It is just as high/wide but considerably less storage space. The BIG advantage is the real ability to carry four and sleep four.

I certainly don’t wish to hijack this thread or dampen anyones enthusiasm, I’m just pointing out a few practicalities/limitations that perspective purchasers might consider.

It’s very cool. We have a temporary Atera off gumtree-doors open about halfway with it on.
It’s 3-4 months lead time for the back rack.
You may be able to get the Atera to work….
I just switched from a Cali Ocean to a 6.4m Adria Twin Adria SGX (Super tall and carrying loads of stuff so wanted lengthwise bed and longer & versatile cargo space) and brought my Atera DL3 with me.
Dropped the fixed tow bar to the bottom of the two mounting options and I can now fully open the rear doors with bikes on rows 2, 3 & 4

We had a HymerCar 5.4 in 2018. I agree the bench seat/lounge area is not as spacious or as comfy as the California but as previously stated it is a compromise. We had the pop top and only used it a few times, however there was only the two of us. Two issues I would point out is that with the poptop roof ventilation is a bit restricted (particularly in the loo/shower room and more significantly we found a lot (LOT) of mould growing inside the pop top after a few weeks non use….. the fix is to open it a couple of times a month to allow an air exchange. We were virtually living in over winter so that may not have helped either. Our summary? A nice van but not much of a space saving over our previous 6 metre Globecar and for what we wanted offered us no real advantage …. It is just as high/wide but considerably less storage space. The BIG advantage is the real ability to carry four and sleep four.

I certainly don’t wish to hijack this thread or dampen anyones enthusiasm, I’m just pointing out a few practicalities/limitations that perspective purchasers might consider.

Did you have the window in the shower room...?

Did you have the window in the shower room...?
Yes, but you have just reminded me of another thing…… it’s a bit tricky having a poo if you are tall or have long legs! I could just manage to sit on the loo but only with leg’s akimbo as there really is not a lot of space. Also we did not use the shower as I was not convinced it was a good idea with the fabric roof (why!?) and no roof vent. In the Globecar (and non pop top Hymer I think) it was good to have the side window and the roof vent open at the same time to get rid of the all the moist air.

I still have to say …… the Hymer is a nice van tho’ :thumb and the pop top is cool on a hot day (Oléron)

29086702-47D2-487B-A484-8376DDF0EEDB.jpeg

Having gone from a Cali to a 540 Ducato PVC I have to say the toilet, regardless of size, is a step up from my trusty old Bivvy Loo. On those long wet days when leaving the van was not an option, sitting with the roof down trying to ignore the bucket in the corner was not a great experience. Climbing out of the pop top at night feeling for the cold outer rim of Bivvy Loo’s seat and then hoping the drop was still long enough for the absorbing crystals not to nip was always a gamble.

I’ve always dealt with the toilet thing and it hasn’t been much of a worry. However, with a growing boy and the need for mum to have some privacy. She feels a dedicated bathroom is the way forward…

Yes, but you have just reminded me of another thing…… it’s a bit tricky having a poo if you are tall or have long legs! I could just manage to sit on the loo but only with leg’s akimbo as there really is not a lot of space. Also we did not use the shower as I was not convinced it was a good idea with the fabric roof (why!?) and no roof vent. In the Globecar (and non pop top Hymer I think) it was good to have the side window and the roof vent open at the same time to get rid of the all the moist air.

I still have to say …… the Hymer is a nice van tho’ :thumb and the pop top is cool on a hot day (Oléron)

View attachment 97544
Your legs must be enormous. I’m 183cm and no2 seems fine

Having 4 fiat based motor homes previously two on van conversion ( Murvi ) they drive well , but for us the cali is streets a head on the driving , day to day use etc , but if you need more space good option

The Sven rear seat is adjustable and slides forwards and tilts back for travelling, only bolt up right if you want to sit someone in the opposite seat to provides extra room.
The joker rear seat isn’t upright either have you sat in one, very similar angle to the Cali.
Hope that helps:thumb
Agreed! Should have written "all but except one brand (Westfalia)"

The answer is the fixed bed and washroom. probably around 2.4m of length taken up with that. With something only 0.5m longer than the Cali it has to come off somewhere and if you are going to offer a front dinette for 4 (just) and give plenty of room for the seats to swivel with ease and without adjustment then you only have space for an upright dinette,

The reason so many are like that is that is what the demand is for, especially the end bed and washroom, probably the two main reasons by far quoted for moving to something bigger than a cali.

If you want different then look at British manufacturers such as auto sleeper. They all tend to opt for what is the "UK" favoured configuration of two settees facing each other, a table plonked in a cupboard somewhere that fits in the centre space, and the ever Sao important oven. Of course what you then sacrifice is the end bed with cavernous storage underneath and you have the faff again of moving everything around when you want to go to bed.
It should not be that difficult for CV builders to have the back seating 'sliding" with for instance a rail like solution on the "box" where they put the seats on. I remember VW had that with the introduction version of the GC, bit like the Westfalia Columbus, but it gone missing in the productive version. It really kicked us back from trading in the Cali and go for a GC. (which is even 6 m long instead of 5,40)

Back