Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It's only polite...

Walrus

Walrus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
... for me to say hello as have been lurking for a month or so leeching information from all and sundry. I've always known I would get round to a campervan eventually and now I'm there. You will all know how hard it is to make a buying decision. All I was sure about was that it would be on a VW base vehicle. Months were frittered away reading magazines and pursuing convertors until I realised that there was only one vehicle that had everything I wanted: flexible seating (six grandchildren), a well made and comfortable roof bed, inboard water tanks and a good heater (skiing and winter camping) and a sensible approach to refrigeration. Of course finding one was a problem. Twice I thought I had nailed down the perfect van only to have the sellers pull out because they couldn't bear to part with it! So here it is:

i-dVDt4WJ-L.jpg

I've had it a few weeks now and I finally took it away and slept in it for two nights at the beginning of this week so I now feel qualified to say hello. I am used to motorcycle touring with a small tent and it is going to take a while to adjust to the luxury of so much stuff. Some things are frustrating. The cutlery tray seems like a lot of space wasted so I Ieft that at home. I kept finding myself with a pot, glass or bottle in my hand while cooking and needing one more surface to put it on. I wanted a light in the back of the van to illuminate the messy pile behind the seat where I kept throwing things that were in my way.

But I loved it. I don't understand all the debates about mattress toppers. The upstairs bed was really comfortable apart from having to recover my pillow from the front seats too often. Sleeping with a heater remote to hand was unbelievable luxury. Ditto the cold beer at six o'clock and I had no trouble finding places to store the wine. I'm looking forward to getting better at it!

Welcome Walrus.:welcome

No, I don't know what all that fuss about mattress toppers is about either. Like Princesses And The Pea on this forum, a right bunch of woosies... :D :D

Nice Cali, :welcome
Re toppers, try the bottom bed, upstairs is fine. :thumb

:welcome

Like you,after a few years two up motorcycle touring with a tent, I find the space and storage capacity of a California amazing. Unlike you though, I have bought a zonesleep mattress topper, it makes the upstairs as comfy as the Exped sleeping mat I use for camping.

:welcome We used to camp with three kids so two of us in the Cali is luxury. We find the upstairs bed comfy enough without a topper. I certainly wouldn't want one that had to be taken out and stashed whilst travelling.

upstairs mattress without a topper is fine.

Downstairs mattress is non-existent without a topper.

Try putting a cushion underneath the mattress upstairs to raise it a little bit at the hatchway end. That tends to stop the pillows falling off.

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Top or Bottom, mattress is fine. If handy could wire in an extra light at the back or plenty of stick on or magnetic battery powered LED lights available.
Cutlery draw with a chopping board makes a fine occasional table when cooking.

Hang on - there is a light in the back of the van, on the underside of the overhead locker, drivers side.

Now that is a solution Granny Jen. I'll try that. And I'll look for the hidden light n the back. I agree that the drawer is very useful it is the insert tray that wastes space in my opinion. I have already got a chopping board which fits perfectly and use it as a small shelf. Thanks for the warm welcome. This is a lively community.

Hang on - there is a light in the back of the van, on the underside of the overhead locker, drivers side.

Well so there is! In my defence I only looked for it in the dark and it is quite well camouflaged.

Back