Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Jersey and Guernsey

R

robo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Good morning. I am new to the forum.
I was contemplating a trip to Guernsey and Jersey this year.
Has anyone got a view on whether its practical?
I know that a permit is required but wondered if the islands were van friendly.

rob

I remember hearing that there are only a couple of "proper" campsites but that if you are booked, you are ok. I had a bit of an investigate some time ago but most of the sites that were advertised online had gone bust!

I would recommend speaking to their tourist information.

Keep us posted as it is somewhere I would like to visit!

Update: Their tourist info website has been updated since I last looked. You can go, with a permit and are allowed to drive to and from the campsite (useful eh?)

http://www.jersey.com/english/accommoda ... ersey.aspx

The caravan Club have this to say:

Touring in Jersey
Members who would like to take their motorhome or caravan to Jersey must have a permit. You need to contact the campsite you wish to stay at; the quote you receive will include the cost of the campsite fees and ferry crossing. Once you have confirmed your booking the Jersey authorities will issue you a permit. There are restrictions on the size of motorhomes and caravans accepted.We do not work with any campsites in Jersey so those listed below have not been inspected and we take no responsibility for any of the facilities or services onsite.

Bleu Soleil Camping
Loeoville
St Ouen
JE3 2DB
Telephone: 01534 481007
Web: http://www.bleusoleilcamping.com

Beuvelande Campsite
Rue de Beuvelande
St Martin
JE3 6EZ
Telephone: 01534 853575
Web: http://www.beuveldandecampsite.com

Rozel Camping Park
St Martin
JE3 6AX
Telephone: 01534 855200
Web: http://www.rozelcamping.co.uk

Touring in Guernsey
Presently Guernsey does not accept caravans, and motorhomes can only be taken to the Island if they have a permit and are less than 6.9 meters long. Trailer tents can be taken on the island without restrictions.

If you would like to take a motorhome to Guernsey you must contact the campsite of your choice and they will arrange your site booking and permit for you.

Fauxquets Valley Farm Camping
Candie Road, Castel, GY5 7QL.

Tel: 01481 236 951

http://www.fauxquets.co.uk

Le Vaugrat Campsite
Route De Vaugrat, St. Sampsons, GY2 4TA

Tel: 01481 257 468

http://www.vaugratcampsite.com

For further advice and information please contact:

Visit Guernsey
PO Box 23
St Peter Port
Guernsey
Channel Islands
GY1 3AN
Telephone: 01481 723552
visitguernsey dot com (damn 6 URL limits!)

We stayed at Rozel last year during jubilee week. Its a nice site in the ne corner which is the other side of the islabd from sandy beaches but close to durrell zoo. Rozel harbour is nice has safe kayaking. Good cycling that end of the island. Depends what you are looking for but we liked Rozel. Booked direct with the site and they sorted good discount on the ferry too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Inlaws lived on Guernsey for many years - not camped but it's a nice place with a pleasant French feel to it.

Have been to Jersey & Guernsey in the past, stayed at hotels but would love to go again sometime in the cali.
Let us know how you get on robo if you go.

We're booked into Le Vaugrat Campsite in Guernsey at Whitsun. They can sort out the permit and also the ferry (which I'm not even sure you are allowed to book directly on the Condor website). They are very friendly, although a little slow to get things sorted out with regards to the booking.

Although I have been to Guernsey many times in the past, I haven't ever camped there before, so can't give you much idea of the pros and cons at the moment. If you can wait until after Whitsun I can certainly let you know how it went. I definitely recomend it as a great holiday location though, especially if you like beautiful clifftop walks or have kids that love the beachs/rockpools. The only downside is the cost to get there. It's rather expensive for somewhere not that far away!

Mark

That's an interesting idea, does anyone have an idea of the cost for a week? (Ferry & site)

I haven't had the final bill yet but the ferry is costing £536 (2 adults, 2 children + bike rack). The campsite is £11 per night for adults and £8 for children. Electric hookup is a rather steep £6 a night.

The ferry is very expensive since it's the Whitsun half term holiday week. It would probably be cheaper on a normal week but don't expect any bargain basement prices! There is no competition at all on this route so they can charge what they like really.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Mark, Is that with Condor on the Poole route? That is a crazy price for such a short journey ( under 4 hrs I think ) , I have just priced up a return on Brittany Ferries for the same time of year to Spain which is possibly an extra 500 miles and it is just £90 more expensive. I dread to think how much they charge for a crossing to the channel islands in summer peak season :crazy

Following this with interest.

Tried to visit last year. They've only recently allowed campervans/small motorhomes (last couple of years?) and I found it a bit of a struggle, so gave up and went somewhere else.

I priced up the ferry crossing for a large 4x4 on the website, then phoned for a campervan quote. It was close to twice as much :( They were not able to explain why - my guess is that they are charging commercial van rates?

Might try again through the C&CC and see if that makes a difference. The islands look lovely.
dan

Martin, yes, that is Condor Poole to Guernsey route. Condor is the only ferry operator to the Channel Islands from England. It's a fast catamaran style ferry from Poole. There is a much slower traditional ferry that runs from Portsmouth, I think. However, this takes ages to get there and is overnight so not ideal for young children. It is also not that much cheaper, especially if you want a cabin to sleep in. The campsite owner reckoned that there was a limit of 3 campervans/motorhomes on each crossing so I guess, if this is true, they can pretty much charge what they like at peak times.

The prices to Guernsey are pretty high however you get there, although school holidays weekend to weekend are generally at quite a large premium. We only go there as my gran lives there. I'm not sure I could justify the expense otherwise, although it is a stunningly beautiful island (like the Caribbean, on its day). We have always flown in the past but this works out quite a lot dearer once you've added on car hire and accomodation.

Don't let this put you off though. It's definitely worth a trip there, especially if you can go out of school holiday time.

Mark

Just booked a week to Jersey in July, will post info on our experiences once we return.

There are only 2 x campsites on the island that have been mentioned in theis thread previously; the Beuvelande Campsite and Rozel Camping Park.

Both were very responsive and helpful. we booked to stay at Beuvelende and they referred us to Condor ferries who organised the whole booking. Ferry from Weymouth, 2 x adults and the Cali was £523 for the week.

We'll take the bicycles, so once we park up the Cali wont move all week :D

Just coming back from a week on Guernsey/Jersey with a 3 year old. Really good trip.

Stayed at Fauxquets Valley on Guernsey, easy to cycle about, although can be hilly. Good snacks and beers/pain au choc etc from reception, piggies and goats on campsite, good pool.
Day trip to Herm island very good.

Stayed at Beauvelande campsite on Jersey. Bar/ rest only open Thurs-Sun, very easy to cycle to lovely rocky bays and sandy beaches etc. Pool smaller.

Just snuck under 2.25 metres for the ferry with bikes on the back, but paid for ‘High’ anyway. All booked via https://www.channelislandsdirect.co.uk/

On balance in my limited experience, Guernsey campsite better, but more to do on Jersey. Excellent family trip, would recommend, like Cornwall without the crowds, in France, or something like that anyway !

64088CA7-187C-44F4-983C-5F73C51B66E1.jpeg

we must have just missed you @Aubisque - we stayed at Fauxquets Valley on Guernsey 22/6-29/6. we are regular visitors to Guernsey and always stay at Fauxquets. there were a few VW's on site, but no other Cali's. Glad you had a good time...

Back