Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Jump starters

pingpal6

pingpal6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
My wifes car had a flat battery after shopping. Lucky for her there was a Toyota garage across the road and after speaking to them they came across with a small jump starter. The car was started in no time and it was recommended she go for a run in the car for at least half an hour. I would like to purchase one that it also capable of charging our California if needed but there is an enormous choice of makes and models. Has anyone experience of using one and better still a recommendation?
Thanks in advance

These guys also recommend Noco

I have two Noco jumpstarters, a lighter one (Noco Genius 10) for my bikes, another one for the cars (Noco GB150).

Mind you: the garage used a jumpstarter; you asked one "also capable of charging our California": a jumpstarter is not meant for charging, but for helping you out in case of problems.

Noco also has excellent chargers, but these can't be used for jumpstarting. For charging, I prefer CTEK, mostly for "historical reasons": all my connections on the batteries of my bikes are standardized to CTEK.

For jumpstarting I would also recommend Noco. Not the cheapest but very good quality.

My six year old Noco GB70 is still working perfectly.

It was capable of starting my Land Rover Puma 2.2 diesel engine when that battery was almost flat.
I also used it a couple of times for starting Mercedes Sprinter diesels at work and it also works well on the old Land Rover TD5 2.5 litre diesel engines.

So I am sure it would cope with the Cali diesel.

The model I have uses USB or 12V for charging and has USB and 12V outputs. (The 12V in/out is handled by a cigarette type adaptor.)

I think the newer GBX models don't have the 12V out, but still have both USB and 12V in for charging.

The bigger GBX155 which we have at our sailing club has more cranking power if you want more in reserve.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of the cheaper 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 jump starter types. Most of them use 12V sealed lead acid batteries like those used as back up batteries for burglar alarm systems and kids electric toy cars. The batteries don't last long in my experience and can't deliver enough cranking power to spin over a cold diesel engine :(

My wifes car had a flat battery after shopping. Lucky for her there was a Toyota garage across the road and after speaking to them they came across with a small jump starter. The car was started in no time and it was recommended she go for a run in the car for at least half an hour. I would like to purchase one that it also capable of charging our California if needed but there is an enormous choice of makes and models. Has anyone experience of using one and better still a recommendation?
Thanks in advance
You could get this with the optional jump cable (£30)? Good deals on Amazon under £200.
I use this to charge all our small items in the Cali it’s great. Use a portable (160w) solar panel to charge as well. Not sure what the power is like as jump starter I’m sure website will say.

Halfords do a really good lithium one, that also has a tyre compressor and lights. I’ve used it on my Cali to jump a flat battery with no problems

I have the GBX75. Excellent bit of kit but expensive.

I have a Noco GBX 55, not had to use on y cali, but there as an insurance policy, great bit of kit and tested it on a work colleagues car, who had battery issues.

Once after a very awkward, embarrassing incident not being able to start my car, I was helped out by a guy with a Noco jump starter. I vowed to not let this happen again, so I bought this one- NOCO Boost X GBX155 4250A ridiculously powerful and expensive but a great bit of kit.

Thanks all, and apologies for the Joe Biden slip up. I am aware they are for starting a vehicle with a flat battery not for charging batteries. Hopefully, like an insurance policy I won't be required to use it unless my wife's shopping trolley gets another flat battery. Noco seems to be a popular choice, so will pop into Halfords

Thanks all, and apologies for the Joe Biden slip up. I am aware they are for starting a vehicle with a flat battery not for charging batteries. Hopefully, like an insurance policy I won't be required to use it unless my wife's shopping trolley gets another flat battery. Noco seems to be a popular choice, so will pop into Halfords
If you look on Amazon the Noco jump starters are roughly the same price as Halfords plus with the benefit that you can pay in instalments at zero interest.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08WYKD6TY/?tag=eliteelect-21