Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

June trip in the Planning.

Strangely enough just planning a similar trek for June and July. Taking in Grossglockner, Lake Bled, Porec, Italian lakes, Cinque Terra, Jungfrau and Chamonix.
Proper road trip.
Hikes & Bikes.
Did a similar trip last May and July around Portugal and northern Spain.
Be good to see any ideas/tips you might have.

We tend to just go and see where the road takes us with a few places to aim for.

It’ll be a brilliant trip!

View attachment 105867
What's the significance of the letters A-f - places you plan visiting / staying and if so please what's their names/ locations ? Ah just re-read your post I take it they relate to the following Grossglockner, Lake Bled, Porec, Italian lakes, Cinque Terra, Jungfrau and Chamonix.

What's the significance of the letters A-f - places you plan visiting / staying and if so please what's their names/ locations ? Ah just re-read your post I take it they relate to the following Grossglockner, Lake Bled, Porec, Italian lakes, Cinque Terra, Jungfrau and Chamonix.
Yeah just a couple of potential areas to explore and to basically give a rough route on Google maps. The actual route I take could be anyway I fancy!

Bikes : if you’re happy to lock the bikes to the rack, particularly whilst the van is unattended or overnight I see no problem with that. (Not everyone has a million pound carbon fibre bike, some have relatively inexpensive bikes for general use).

consider access to the boot and either plan around that, have a suitable prop or use a retractable bike rack that allows access to the boot.

consider a cheap bike cover to drop over the bikes when parked up.

I can’t see any reason not to consider taking the bikes

Bikes : if you’re happy to lock the bikes to the rack, particularly whilst the van is unattended or overnight I see no problem with that. (Not everyone has a million pound carbon fibre bike, some have relatively inexpensive bikes for general use).

consider access to the boot and either plan around that, have a suitable prop or use a retractable bike rack that allows access to the boot.

consider a cheap bike cover to drop over the bikes when parked up.

I can’t see any reason not to consider taking the bikes

We spent just over a year meandering around Europe with four bikes and a double child trailer on the rear rack. No particular issues. The bikes needed to be unloaded to access the boot, but once practiced, loading/unloading only takes a few minutes. We bought two custom length cables with eyelets to wrap around the bikes and rack. They locked with a single disc lock. The outer bike was also separately locked to the rack with a D-lock and motorcycle chain: it would be very difficult to remove an inner bike without first removing an outer bike.

This was a stunning location for hiking, cycling etc
We took the MT bikes up on the ski lift to tour around the mountain tops, gravel paths connect the various lift stations and mountain restaurants. Big mistake (unless very competent) was taking the downhill routes instead of the ski lift backdown!

05F1F848-0991-4465-BBE6-805F661F2A1A.jpeg

710BACC0-1D60-4C07-BABE-A94FA3F6E5B8.jpeg

0B6C8DF6-14D3-4740-9BB0-1F0140609C07.jpeg

0E7952F6-BED5-450D-BBBA-FBCCCADA6B25.jpeg

A969BED9-78AF-4E9E-BD61-DBF34152EC5C.jpeg

As I have a long standing contract with EE they allow me same coverage as back home - think it’s about £20 sim only for 160gb per month so we had no problem last year - I even gifted my wife’s phone 30gb a month to use as well.
I’m with 3 up until last year I got 12gb European usage with my contract since my contact ran out and renewed I no longer get 12gb sadly. I can pay £2.00 - day to cover me but we are away for 8 weeks.

I have a phone capable of incorporating an eSim. So I went to mobile.free.fr and bought one for 20€
It gives 210Gb in total per month, however only 40Gb can be used outside of France, which is where we were based.
Thank you that is very helpful

I am with ID mobile, £7 for 15GB data, you can use 12GB per month in Europe. Joined last month. They use the 3 network.

I have used 3 in Europe and found it to be the slowest weakest network (yes I know they roam on others but somehow always slow!? Tesco PAYG card worked well last summer in France