Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Italian Lakes in August …

J

James Freeman

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hey lovely people.
Heading down to the Dolomites in August. Trying to decide whether to go via Germany etc or a more exciting trip taking in the Italian lakes just south of the dolomites.
Will it be too hot at night?
We had some REALLY hot nights in France this summer just gone (I propped the boot open and hung my head out haha).
Any tips / must see camping spots please let me know too :)
Thanks !!!

i went to dolomites in september was fantastic and went via switzerland , took in furka and grimsel passes before susten pass in to italy and on to lake lugano , from there a nice run to the dolomites and stayed at camping sass dlacia , i would happily do the same again

Nothing to say, but I just clicked on your post becasue the words ‘Italian Lakes in August’ drew me in on this frosty morn’

We went to Lake Garda in September, it was beautiful, but it was very busy. All the camps we went to were full, so booking is essential. Can’t comment on the heat in August.

Based on recent years, I’d book everything even your toilet stops on route!!

No way on earth I’d go in August but that’s your call.

Done the lakes a fair few years back middle of June in a self converted vw with ex and two dogs, was pretty hot then but managed some great bike rides and walks.
I can imagine august to be baking, depends on what sort of activities you intend doing (if it’s sitting around cooking yourself you will be fine).

Thanks all. It has to be August due to the school holidays. We have a few days booked at a nice place in the dolomites to end the trip. We just need to plan the journey there and I was torn between meandering down through Germany etc or whizzing down through France and then along via the lakes. We did Switzerland last August and the weather was great. Hot in the day and pleasant at night. Crowds aside I am just wondering if the temperature would be unbearable (it’s the trying to sleep but that worries me)!

Well how hot is hot for you ?
I've been to Italy in August for the past 4 years since I have the Cali, yes it is hot but after midnight it is definitely more bearable. I slept upstairs with a USB fan blowing colder air through the net windows, but had to always turn them off in the middle of the night (1-3am) and put a t-shirt back on as it was getting chill..

Forget about showing up in August thinking you'll get a spot at the sites on the lake.
I had to book already my pitches for August '23 last week and still struggled.
The nicest campsites are getting booked out fast.
The new reality is... no more spontaneous hols since everybody bought a Motorhome and sites convert pitches into Bungalows.
Lake Garda, with direct major Motorway-Autobahn link, is always busy, April to October with Germans/Austrians/Dutch having so easy access.