Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just limped home, 2010 Cali

L

lfm

VIP Member
Hi

Just had to limp home. Cali has been stored for a couple of months and I’ve been driving it for a week. It’s 2010 140bhp manual. Only done 35k. (It was stored in a dry garage with the fuel topped right up.)

Plugged in my dongle and got the following fault codes:

P0651
Sensor Ref Voltage B Circuit/Open
P0236
Turbocharger boost sensor A Ciruit Range/Performance

Also when idling on the drive it is making an off beat “whop/whof” over the normal tick over sounds.

Advice appreciated. I can drive my car for a few days and just wondering if it’s going to be worth phoning the AA on a free morning.

Hi

Just had to limp home. Cali has been stored for a couple of months and I’ve been driving it for a week. It’s 2010 140bhp manual. Only done 35k. (It was stored in a dry garage with the fuel topped right up.)

P0651
P0236

Also when idling on the drive it is making an off beat “whop/whof” over the normal tick over sounds.

Advice appreciated. I can drive my car for a few days and just wondering if it’s going to be worth phoning the AA on a free morning.
This might help.
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0651
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0236

Hi the
Hi

P0651
P0236

Hi the fault code for reference voltage B is normally caused by corrosion in the egr valve moisture gets between the body of the valve and the cap causing corrosion to the control circuits for the egr valve which then causes sensor reference voltage B to become incorrect. Depending on how technicaly minded you are take off the black cap on top of the egr valve and have a look you may be able to save it or it maybe to corroded and require a replacement. As for the range performance it’s consequential of the egr fault. Hope that helps

Thanks chaps. Taking the cap off sounds like a reasonable job for a Saturday morning. If it does help at least it will give me the ability to drive to my preferred garage.

The correct interpretation of error codes can be a bit tricky. My 140PS 2011 manual developed an intermittent fault that put it into limp mode before finally triggering an engine management fault (recommending that it shouldn’t be driven).

The AA man plugged in his computer but initially selected the wrong T5 variant - there was no California in his list of models. This erroneous model select indicates a camshaft angle problem!?!?

Once I suggested he try Multivan as the model variant, the fault code was interpreted as a fault with the EGR.

It is a very common fault with all VAG 2.0ll diesels. As the previous correspondent says they fail in a number of ways (typically mechanical wear of internal components and from excessive moisture build up messing with the internal circuit).

Get it hooked up to a genuine VAG reader and see what that comes up with. In all likelihood it will be the EGR. Unfortunately this is not a serviceable item but it easily replaced, but you will be looking at the thick end of £600 if you get it done by a garage.

Hope you get it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo boost, surely that’s the MAP sensor suggesting loss of manifold pressure or excessive EGR in the inlet manifold?

Check all intercooler hoses?
Could be the cause of the odd noise?

Only guessing here.

Back