Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Limp Home Mode (P019100 Fuel Pressure Sensor)

Damon18

Damon18

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
The problem took place just before Easter this year whilst we were on our bi-annual UK return trip (we were in the UK with our 2 dogs and towing our rather heavy caravan).
The scene: Lovely day and just leaving a carpark in Ely at around 12’ish, whilst still in the 30mph limit I had a feeling that things were sluggish, this was confirmed when I tried to accelerate and there was next to no power, we’d gone into the dreaded Limp Home Mode.
I looked at the dash board and saw that the Orange Glow Coil icon was flashing, I continued driving whilst the other ½ dug out the manual and searched for the relevant info.
The message was clear, engine problem detected get to your nearest dealer asap.
Luckily there was a VW dealer (Huntingdon). It was lunch time but give the dealership their due, they took the Cali in virtually straight away and the diagnostic message was “ P019100 Fuel High-Pressure Sensor: Error Message: Signal Improbable: Sporadic Fault”.
The dealership Client Services were helpful, they questioned us about whether we could have put the wrong fuel in the tank, and that they would probably have to send a fuel sample away for testing, and this and what with their workshop planning they were talking of a 2 or 3 weeks’ time period to sort things out (Panic, how do we get home).
Another complication was that ours is a French bought and registered Cali, so not under direct UK warranty cover (Panic again, can it be sorted out in the UK).
We drove (slowly) back to the camp site and telephoned VW Assistance in France, they contacted VW in the UK and the AA was dispatched (Panic reducing).
Within a short time, the AA technician arrived, he confirmed the dealerships diagnostic readings but was convinced he knew what was causing the problem, and he was right.
Apparently, it was not the first time he’d come across this type of message/problem on different diesels, and he was sure it was a faulty contact in the Fuel Pressure Sensor. He removed the plug from the sensor and confirmed that the contacts were quite loose, he tightened the pin grips and applied contact grease, road test and the job was a good one, a simple fix which took no more than 20 minutes (Panic Over).
The AA technician showed us the readings/outputs at every stage of the job and we were really impressed by his professionalism and friendliness, bravo, brilliant job and “Thank you the AA”.
We’ve done more than 5000 km since the incident and everything’s’ great and the problem hasn’t returned (fingers crossed).
Moral: Don’t Panic (Dad’s Army style) and put trust in the professionals who are there to help.
Sorry if it’s been a bit long, but I wanted to share the problem and the solution.
Cheers Adrian

Thanks for confirming, that is really useful information for many users. Surprising that the AA chap was more knowledgeable than the VW dealer but I guess he see's more broken down or with issues.

My experiences of the AA have always been superb the two times I've used them they always got me back on the road again.

Thanks for confirming, that is really useful information for many users. Surprising that the AA chap was more knowledgeable than the VW dealer but I guess he see's more broken down or with issues.

My experiences of the AA have always been superb the two times I've used them they always got me back on the road again.
They are on a continuous learning course, by time they reach their forties most are near genius in their competence and people skills.

Hi Matt,
I can only agree with you, obviously the AA guys are treating breakdowns all the time, and have come across the most obscure problems. The AA guy we had was great, we couldn’t have asked for better, he was very professional, friendly, and knew just how to explain and show us what the problem was and what he was doing to fix it, we we’re really impressed.
I would like to hope that the VW guys would have found and solved the problem in due course, but you never know.
Cheers Adrian