Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just retired - new life beckons!

ShortDrain

ShortDrain

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hello, nice to join you even if it is as a prospective owner until now. I've a couple of questions if anyone can help...1. there are some views which I've seen that are very positive re 2.5L engines in the T5. I'm interested is this so, and if so would a low mileage 2.5L 129BHP eg 35k miles be a better bet than a younger and more miles T5.1 2.0L?
and 2. completely different track, any other owners cope with 3 medium sized dogs in their Cali, and if so any tips please! :)
By the way way Drain is short for Adrian?! :thumb

Last edited:
Hi Adrian,

Welcome and congratulations on your retirement, lucky devil.

Have a look around the forum and use the search facility.
Generally, I think the 2.5L engine are regarded as pretty reliable and a good choice, whatever the mileage.
The T5.1 engines came in 130bhp and 180bhp, again the 130bhp are well regarded, some early 180bhp engines have issues with high oil consumption, so, rightly or wrongly have got a bad name, there are many threads on this.

As for dogs there are lots of posts in Cali dogs section. Including plenty from Collie owner/lovers.

Last edited:
The T5.1 engines came in 130bhp and 180bhp, again the 130bhp are well regarded, some early 180bhp engines have issues with high oil consumption, so, rightly or wrongly have got a bad name, there are many threads on this.
For accuracy, the 130hp here should read 140hp

Welcome here and congratulations!

I am not counting days however marked the 31st July 2048 for the samw reason

Re 2.5: We have a 2.5 TDI, with 130hp from back 2004/5. California SE, 3 persons no dogs. It is def okay to cruise, overtake when looking/planning forward/wise. No race machine, often drive with the 5th gear (living in an up n down area).
We are happy with the power and torc however sometime wishing for more power to drive up the hills/mountains (Gotthardpass for example).

Hello, nice to join you even if it is as a prospective owner until now. I've a couple of questions if anyone can help...1. there are some views which I've seen that are very positive re 2.5L engines in the T5. I'm interested is this so, and if so would a low mileage 2.5L 129BHP eg 35k miles be a better bet than a younger and more miles T5.1 2.0L?
and 2. completely different track, any other owners cope with 3 medium sized dogs in their Cali, and if so any tips please! :)

Welcome.
I retired 5 years ago and the rat race is now a distant memory - You’ll love retirement.
I’m sure your Cali and dogs will help ensure you keep mind and body active.

:welcome The Cali is an excellent vehicle for dogs. I found I was using mine mainly for driving my 4 medium sized dogs to training and not actually camping, hence sold it. But absolutely loved driving it and the dogs always enjoyed going places in it.

Welcome here and congratulations!

I am not counting days however marked the 31st July 2048 for the samw reason

Re 2.5: We have a 2.5 TDI, with 130hp from back 2004/5. California SE, 3 persons no dogs. It is def okay to cruise, overtake when looking/planning forward/wise. No race machine, often drive with the 5th gear (living in an up n down area).
We are happy with the power and torc however sometime wishing for more power to drive up the hills/mountains (Gotthardpass for example).

Im surprised by that Sapto.
When I had the T5 130bhp 5pot, I genuinely thought it was a great engine with plenty of power and grunt. Infact better than the 140bhp T5.1 I owned.

Unless the previous owner had remapped the T5 130 before I bought from him...?

Im surprised by that Sapto.
When I had the T5 130bhp 5pot, I genuinely thought it was a great engine with plenty of power and grunt. Infact better than the 140bhp T5.1 I owned.

Unless the previous owner had remapped the T5 130 before I bought from him...?

You're def right. Don't get me wrong: We are super happy with the reliable engine and the power is more than enough.

Update...offer accepted on 2008 2.5L T5! Low miles/use and one previous owner Cali who Obviously cared for it very well. Looking forward to getting it in a weeks time and starting our California adventures As others have said this forum has been fantastic to help us gain the knowledge and confidence to take the plunge. Thank you!

:welcomeWelcome Adrian, you sure picked a fine time to look for a Cali when prices are high. Good luck with your search and enjoy your retirement.:cheers

:welcomeWelcome Adrian, you sure picked a fine time to look for a Cali when prices are high. Good luck with your search and enjoy your retirement.:cheers
Thanks Karlos,
Yes maybe not ideal timing financially, but right time for us and we are joining more at the "budget" end of ownership with lower cost but most of the functionality. I think also its the right time to not be jumping on busy planes and trains - for now some space outdoors and our own living space is perfect...who knows how long we will need to think like this for??:confused::cool: :cheers

I love retirement, retired last November, if I have nothing to do I just get in the van drive anywhere and go for a walk. I can stop at any time and make a hot drink and/or toasted sandwich and gloat at the fact that SWMBO and my old colleagues are either at home or in the office working. Bliss........

Update...offer accepted on 2008 2.5L T5! Low miles/use and one previous owner Cali who Obviously cared for it very well. Looking forward to getting it in a weeks time and starting our California adventures As others have said this forum has been fantastic to help us gain the knowledge and confidence to take the plunge. Thank you!
Is it Silver?

I have a 2006 130 2.5 The 5 cylinder engine loves the motorway even pulling my quad bike on it’s trailer, also very good MPG even when towing, one nice thing about the 2.5 engine is that it has no drive belts or cam belt all of the ancillaries are gear driven,
The only word of advise i would give is make sure that the correct oil is used in the engine, It’s a PD (pump duce) motor, quantum make the suitable oil, the part number will be in the hand book,

I love retirement, retired last November, if I have nothing to do I just get in the van drive anywhere and go for a walk. I can stop at any time and make a hot drink and/or toasted sandwich and gloat at the fact that SWMBO and my old colleagues are either at home or in the office working. Bliss........
9th March next year is etched on my mind for retirement....! I love your strap line.....that’ll be me too! But I’d rather say that I am simply looking to a new venture...others change jobs, but I’ve been in this one for over 20 years now...
I’m overwhelmed at the choice of opportunities, but travelling in my van is at the top of the list!

Just to add that our 2008 SE 5cyl 2.5l 175bhp is running beautifully. The power it provides balances the vehicle out nicely so that nothing is a strain for it and cruises well with its 6speed manual box. It's done 101k now and I'm not concerned whatsoever about it's longevity. Does 30-37mpg - the longer the journey, the better the mpg. Down here in the Brecon Beacons so wave at a metallic dark green one if you see it. Cheers

Congratulations on retirement and a wise choice. We retired ten years ago and our Cali has been part of our life ever since. Even this summer with travelling restricted it’s been a great support vehicle for picnics and active days. Enjoy!

Very nice. Any adventures planned yet?

Nice, :thumb i expect the road noise from those tyres will be higher
than the regular ones.