Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kador strip

E

Eldoovis

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi guys n gals
Does anyone know what size beading is best to order for the awning rail on the awning casette and also for the side rail on the other side of the van?
Thanks

The awning rail on the other side of the van will not accommodate the 6mm kador strip.
I have tried and failed miserably, under not a lot of tension it will pull out.
you can use an awning with 6mm strip and fill the gap with rope.
It was a bit of messing around and experimenting but we got there in the end.
My sweetheart stitched together 2 lengths of rope, I think it was 5mm and 3mm.
The sizes can be adjusted to suit the strip on what ever awning you have. (trial and error)
I slot this in at the same time as the awning strip and it fills the gap.
VW do a rubber strip that dose the same job, but I have heard that this also tears out under tension and costs around £100.

Awning rail 1.jpg

awning rail 2.jpg

The awning rail on the other side of the van will not accommodate the 6mm kador strip.
I have tried and failed miserably, under not a lot of tension it will pull out.
you can use an awning with 6mm strip and fill the gap with rope.
It was a bit of messing around and experimenting but we got there in the end.
My sweetheart stitched together 2 lengths of rope, I think it was 5mm and 3mm.
The sizes can be adjusted to suit the strip on what ever awning you have. (trial and error)
I slot this in at the same time as the awning strip and it fills the gap.
VW do a rubber strip that dose the same job, but I have heard that this also tears out under tension and costs around £100.

View attachment 65992

View attachment 65993
I have discovered you can do something similar with 2 lengths of 6-6mm kador. One redundant length and then a second length Tucked behind it which you use to attach the awning.
I’ve added a 6mm to 6mm kador to the Decathlon tarp to add to the wind out and was looking at ways to attach it to the near side to shade the fridge, and this seemed to work. I have a second Kador for our drive away already.
The factory VW/Thule omnistor takes a 6mm bead. It think the Fiamma is 4mm.

I bought this from a certain well known auction site. Fits nice and tight.
have yet to sew or heat weld some material to it but someone handy could easily make a nice fitted shade using itB7BC4D9A-ACE9-4D12-9E0D-6FDEC1F3093A.jpeg.

VW California made in the factory refined at the door step.

Will the 8mm beading fit into the side rail?

The Kampa kit fits perfectly, two of the beads fill the space in the van rail and its impossible to pull it out:

1599738957626.png

If you you want to attach to the leading edge of the roller awning instead, then you just insert one of the beads into the slot on the roller awning (the other then just hangs free).

Individual beads do not fit properly into the VW Rail as its a square shape (i/o round), unless you stitch two together as per 'gear box oil' photos which achieves same result as the Kampa kit. VW can supply a very expensive rubber insert but lots of people have found that it is still very easy to pull the Kador out of the rubber insert.

The Kampa kit fits perfectly, two of the beads fill the space in the van rail and its impossible to pull it out:

View attachment 66002

If you you want to attach to the leading edge of the roller awning instead, then you just insert one of the beads into the slot on the roller awning (the other then just hangs free).

Individual beads do not fit properly into the VW Rail as its a square shape (i/o round), unless you stitch two together as per 'gear box oil' photos which achieves same result as the Kampa kit. VW can supply a very expensive rubber insert but lots of people have found that it is still very easy to pull the Kador out of the rubber insert.
As above, mine are 2 of the vango kits but same concept. It seems pretty solid, and cheaper than the rubber rail insert. Quite like the sections of rope variation though.

Thanks for your help. Im going to sew the kador strip onto a decathlon tarp so i can connect it to the awning rail or side rail.
What will work better for the side rail : 6mm + 6mm, or 6mm +4mm?
Thanks again

Thanks for your help. Im going to sew the kador strip onto a decathlon tarp so i can connect it to the awning rail or side rail.
What will work better for the side rail : 6mm + 6mm, or 6mm +4mm?
Thanks again
I had some 6-6mm which I just sewed directly in the middle. It would be Posssible I think to fold it in the middle and feed both bits into the channel simultaneously but I think it would be stiff to feed.
My second Kador is also 6mm - 6mm as I use that to attach my driveaway and fed separately. So two lots of 6mm. I think the 4 + 6 still wouldn’t fill the space enough to prevent it pulling out. The thicker nylon rope filler would also work.
It is really useful being able to attach the tarp.
958B1DCC-A3C8-4668-B8F1-20CA009005BA.jpeg

I had some 6-6mm which I just sewed directly in the middle. It would be Posssible I think to fold it in the middle and feed both bits into the channel simultaneously but I think it would be stiff to feed.
My second Kador is also 6mm - 6mm as I use that to attach my driveaway and fed separately. So two lots of 6mm. I think the 4 + 6 still wouldn’t fill the space enough to prevent it pulling out. The thicker nylon rope filler would also work.
It is really useful being able to attach the tarp.
View attachment 66051
Love the union flag on your roof..Where did you get it?

Does the wrap cover the roof in one piece or is it separate bits?
One piece for the central roof, a section for each roof rail ridge, and a section for the front spoiler, and comes around all the edges, although not under the seals.

Back