Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning attachment

Chris B

Chris B

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I am collecting our new Cali on Friday and am looking for advice on how to attach our old drive away awning using a kador strip. I was told by a helpful guy at Stanford Hall show that you use a kador strip with a narrower beading to fit the Cali, but when I went to buy from a stall I was told that the normal size fits it. Any offers on what size kador strip is required?

Also looking for best option for thermal blinds, do we need blinds for the tailgate also? Add to the shopping list other "essentials", roof cover, bellows bungee and waterproof seat covers, (wine proof as far as my wife is concerned having spilt red wine on the seats of our 79 Bay the first night away!), where does it end?

Normal 6mm Kador strip works fine if attaching to the wind out awning, although know at least one person that used a 4mm (We used one for a couple of years before we got fed up carrying the standalone and moved to side panels only for the wind out)

The tailgate has a built in blind... so save that money for spending on all those other things you'll need ;)

Rgds
Mark

Last edited:
we use 6mm x 4mm as we found the 6mmx6mm was a bit tight, the 4mm though is a bit loose. Perfect fit would be 5mm but it does not exist

Thanks, trial and error with 6mm first then!

We tried out our Vando Idris II this weekend. Overall satisfaction. A few questions for those more experienced:
1. We could not get a 'tight fit' between the driveway awing end and the van. Any tips?
2. Didn't know where to position along the van (e.g. in line with canopy, in line to miss drivers' door, etc.). What do you guys do?
3. How far to position van from awning (i.e. width of awning tunnel).
Pictures would really help. Many thanks.

We tried out our Vando Idris II this weekend. Overall satisfaction. A few questions for those more experienced:
1. We could not get a 'tight fit' between the driveway awing end and the van. Any tips?
2. Didn't know where to position along the van (e.g. in line with canopy, in line to miss drivers' door, etc.). What do you guys do?
3. How far to position van from awning (i.e. width of awning tunnel).
Pictures would really help. Many thanks.

Think you need to roll out the wind out awning , attatch to it and wind it in till it fix...

Back