Keeping an eye on the competition - larger Wellhouse Terrier

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I looked at the Wellhouse Terrier before deciding to go with another Cali recently. But now there's a new one out.

Link to video

I wonder how many Cali owners would be tempted? Interesting to hear your comments

PS I think the "dislike" button has gone :D

Nope , stick with a Cali !
Think it's more than 2m high
Did you see the table move when he layed hes arm on it!
Need to move the rear seat to get acces to the wardrobe and kitchen.
Almost 1/3 of the space behind the rear seat is for just the toilet?

But like the way the rear seat folds in to a bed....

If i want a campervan with bigger kitchen , toilet ,... I would go for a larger model with shower!

There didnt look to be any space to carry "stuff" where do you put the awning, clothes for 5 BBQ etc. looks to me to have the main disadvantage of a cali - small internal space, with all the disadvantages of a large motorhome - no boot, height, and driving a van with carpeted walls. Not sure how you sleep 5 in there either? the lack of headroom implied that it wasn't a pop top so no roof bed?

That dashboard was horrid, turned off after I saw that.

I actually quite like it. Seems to bridge between a campervan and small (dare I say it) motorhome quite nicely. If it just had a pop top roof to offer sleeping for 4 like the Hymercar Serengetti, it would actually be quite an interesting alternative IMO. Of course it will never have the cache or cool of a VW California, but from a pure practicality standpoint it seems to have a fair bit going for it.

We liked the look of it but there are no Automatics so a non-starter for us.

I liked the look of it but if I had one I would have to call it "Fred" instead of Albert so it will simply not do :(

Looks more like a day van to me,
The Mercedes one they are just about to launch looks like direct competition to the Cali.
I seem to remember Mercedes and VW share the same van platform, so it is no surprise they have launched new van models at the same time.

The Wellhouse has some neat touches and the Transit Custom is a fine van, we have them on our works fleet.

But for me the California is the original "Swiss Army Knife" of campers and the rest are imitations. It is the ultimate gadget for a gadget man! None of the others, for instance, can store two full size chairs in the tailgate and a full size table in the sliding door. None of them has the neat sliding table that weighs next to nothing. Most of the interiors are chipboard covered in veneer or grey carpet. Only the Mercedes appears to offer equivalent automotive quality interior fitments.

Being able to fit under most height barriers is a real boon and corrosion issues aside, the Cali has a well designed roof that is able to carry a decent amount of weight on the optional roof bars. I don't know if other pop tops have this facility. Add a topper and the insulation is as good as a fixed roof.

None of the others have the option of 4wd and most don't have an auto option. So all things considered, when it comes down to it the California is still the one the others have to beat.

Still, that doesn't stop me looking at other vans :D

Last edited:
[QUOTE="motacyclist, post: 96536, member: 8851]

Still, that doesn't stop me looking at other vans :D[/QUOTE]

Same here with my other half , she's also like a Swiss army knife but can't resist looking at all the other knives.....:confused: Hope i don't cut myself....