Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Khyam Motor Dome - How Do You Do Yours??

S

Stu

Guest User
We've had our MD for a little while now although for various reasons its not used probably as much as it should be.

Anyway I digress, my reason for this thread or indeed my question to our learned fraternity is when erecting the MD with the MD groundsheet what comes first?? The MD or the groundsheet??

The groundsheet is an odd shape compared to the MD, has eyelets along two sides if I remember correctly and also has a number of 'slits' in it presumably to accommodate something else.

What are your tips or experiences?

MD first always.. As I'm outside pegging the tent out, my lady is inside laying the groundsheet out. I think the slit is just if you add in the inner tent option, as it allows you to pegg out the inner. So she starts by passing the corner tabs out under the tent, and I peg the tabs out outside, ensuring the sheet doesn't protrude beyond the fly sheet.once the 4 courier tabs are pegged out, then peg down the rest of the sheet, especially at entrance points to stop tripping hazards.

Excellent, thanks.

So do you have a longish section of groundsheet under your van? In which case you'd need to drive overa section of groundsheet to get the van close enough to connect to the MD.

Do you peg the groundsheet tabs under the corner poles of the MD?

Do you peg the inner skirt of the MD under the groundsheet?

Do you peg the nylon straps with eyelets into the same eyelets on the groundsheet?

I purchased a Khyam Motordome Classic from Somerset Camping last year and it looks great but I was somewhat confused as the instructions as they do not show how to peg it down.
There are 2 different pegs, plastic and metal, what pegs go where?
There is a “skirt” round the bottom, should it be pegged inside or outside the tent?
There is a black ribbon that goes round the tent with brass eyes what does this do? should it be pegged down with other parts of the tent?

I sent an email to Khyam and this is their reply

Hi
The strip is for a guide to get the awning square shape and needs pegging down
The skirt should be pegged outwards so water runs off
The reason they have different pegs is purely for different ground types the plastic ones are good in very soft ground other wise use the metal ones and you should be fine
Hope this helps you set the tent up

Thanks

Steve

To the experienced campers they probably seem daft questions but to newbees like me I hope this will help

All of the above is sound advice. We have found that it is often trial and error...just try to make the error small!
We tend to erect the dome; connect it to the awning track then move it so it is taught and the door opens without catching. Once we've established that then peg out the corners. After that; crack on but do have a beer.

Iain&Shani said:
All of the above is sound advice. We have found that it is often trial and error...just try to make the error small!
We tend to erect the dome; connect it to the awning track then move it so it is taught and the door opens without catching. Once we've established that then peg out the corners. After that; crack on but do have a beer.

Ditto :)

All interesting stuff, keep the ideas coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stu said:
Excellent, thanks.

1. So do you have a longish section of groundsheet under your van? In which case you'd need to drive overa section of groundsheet to get the van close enough to connect to the MD.

2. Do you peg the groundsheet tabs under the corner poles of the MD?

3. Do you peg the inner skirt of the MD under the groundsheet?

4. Do you peg the nylon straps with eyelets into the same eyelets on the groundsheet?

1.no, I fold the sheet back into a square and under itself, so it doesn't protrude into the area between main tent and the van. Mainly because I tend to find when it rains hard, small drips (from van gutter) would roll down the van and get onto groundsheet, which then makes the tent floor wet... So I ensure there is a good gap between van and groundsheet.

2. I have done so in te past, but find it better to use separate pegs to get a better tension on the sheet

3. Yes

4. Yes

Also, we take a couple of nice large cozy blankets with us which often end up as luxurious floor covering on top of the groundsheet, especially good when kids want to laze around reading, or playing lego/dolls/ board games, excellent what ever the weather as it makes it very cosy, and easy to contain messy playing when needing to clear up (roll it all up in a blanket, then unroll to play again)

MisterTea said:
1.no, I fold the sheet back into a square and under itself, so it doesn't protrude into the area between main tent and the van. Mainly because I tend to find when it rains hard, small drips (from van gutter) would roll down the van and get onto groundsheet, which then makes the tent floor wet... So I ensure there is a good gap between van and groundsheet.

That's the same conclusion I drew with water getting into the tent from the outside via the groundsheet on uneven ground.

We moved to another site yesterday so we followed your advice on fitting the groundsheet in after the tent is built. We did however peg the skirt inside rather than outside as mentioned above as it seemed more logical that it would prevent any rain coming in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We invested in a Tourer Classic and have just pitched it for the first time! I'm sure we are doing something wrong!

Do you peg the tent to the groundsheet? The holes don't seem to marry up!

We can't seem to get the tunnel to fit correctly without catching on the sliding door and the tunnel is not tight!

And the dogs have learnt how to escape underneath!!

At the moment we are thinking it would be better to sell it, but seeing as so many people rave about them it must be us doing something wrong!

If anyone is going to Calis on the Farm that knows how to do this correctly and fancies giving us a lesson I would be very grateful!

Thanks
H
x

We've had fun and games with this too :D

Our current preference is....

1. MD up first and pulled out from VW in order to get correct tension on tunnel (open the awning on the VW a hands width to avoid the door catching and to allow you to tighten it if you don't get your parking spot on next time).

2. Peg the MD (including the taped bit between the poles)) with the flappy bits (sorry don't know what they are called) tucked and pegged on the inside (otherwise you can't peg the mid-portion of the walls correctly).

3. Lay the ground sheet, folding it back on itself so only a little goes under the VW. Peg the gound shed where you can but as the flappy bits go under it, it's not critical.

Hope all this makes sense.

Andy

PS - having said all the above, I do seem to do it slightly differently each time :doh