Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kids on bikes

I agree on the value of those Islabikes. We have imported three to Sweden now and they have been great. The first Cnoc bike our kids ride on before three years old. We got more fore it then what we payed.
On the helmet argument, I cannot agree. Here it is mandatory under 15yo to wear bicycle helmet. My kids are always using them and so do I. My oldest son have destroyed three helmets (is a more daring type, when three years old looking sideways riding in to lamp posts etc). Our youngest have almost never crashed at all on the bike.
If you don’t like wearing one, fine, but I don’t understand the reasoning with the kids.
In the early days when Volvo have developed the seat belts, lots of german manufacturers where against it with similar arguments as well.
My kids are now wearing MIPS helmets that also protects the brain from the twisting that occurs when falling.
I’m with you, but the Swedes are not the last bastion of health and safety, once we rid ourselves of driving around using phones I’ll take seriously what Riksdag has to say, a lack Police everywhere means laws count for very little when it comes to personal transport here.

I actually raced with Isla Rowntree back in the 90s and I’m so happy her bikes are being enjoyed far afield now, I’m about to buy our son his first.

If you don’t like wearing one, fine, but I don’t understand the reasoning with the kids.
Cycling is a safe healthy activity. So healthy that not cycling is more dangerous than cycling.

The risks are overstated and emotive. In London, where we live there were 80 fatal stabbings and 10 cyclist deaths in 2017. If I want to protect my boys my money would be better spent of a stab vest than a cycle helmet.

But better still, do all I can to reduce the likelihood of conflict on the street and all I can to reduce the likelihood of them falling off their bike or being hit by a motor vehicle in the first place.

With my sister-in-law in a coma for several weeks after being hit in the face by a tree, and two and a half years later still recovering, I am aware of the particular consequences of severe head injury.

Yep and when I started in construction we had nearly 3 times the fatality rate. It was more fun back them but sadly some didn't go home at end of the day. I also remember kids playing on building sites.

That said I'm not an H&S fanatic. My 9 years as a reserve RM in my 20s put paid to that. ;)
Yes, I worked in construction too, at a time when only 'girls' wore helmets on site we 'men' didn't. Then a couple of brothers I knew were working clearing up a house and one threw a concrete block out of a window and accidentally hit his brother on the head.... after that I always wore a helmet on site.! Building sites are dangerous places in all sorts of ways.
Re cycle helmets, I find them sweaty and uncomfortable and don’t use them now. I now ride more sedately, like the Dutch who don't use them either.

In Denmark now after travelling through Holland and Germany. Nothing has changed since I was last here, lots of people old and young enjoying pootling around the campsite roads without helmets.

For the record I did not insist my daughter puts on hi-viz or wear a helmet scootering or cycling to the wash block, or that she wore one on the climbing frame, or on the inflatable bouncy trampoline thing, or that she wear a life jacket whilst on the jetty into the sea. I did make her go to bed eventually though....

If you want to insist on all those precautions that’s fine, but I think after a while you’d chill out somewhat and get tired of having a go at all the other parents.
1A469680-CAB7-4E78-9085-26E95FA12C0F.jpeg

Edited to add, lovely to see this : https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/levenshulme-locals-close-street-kids-16460894

Last edited:
In Denmark now after travelling through Holland and Germany. Nothing has changed since I was last here, lots of people old and young enjoying pootling around the campsite roads without helmets.

For the record I did not insist my daughter puts on hi-viz or wear a helmet scootering or cycling to the wash block, or that she wore one on the climbing frame, or on the inflatable bouncy trampoline thing, or that she wear a life jacket whilst on the jetty into the sea. I did make her go to bed eventually though....

If you want to insist on all those precautions that’s fine, but I think after a while you’d chill out somewhat and get tired of having a go at all the other parents.
View attachment 46542

I assume that this post is aimed at me since most of your others have been. If it is then once again "you've completely missed the point again" with yet another wildly exaggerated post.

For the last time:
I do not "want to insist on those precautions".
I have never wanted "to insist on those precautions".
I doubt if there will ever be a case in the future for insisting on those precautions.

To remind you, this post is entitled "Kids on bikes".

Only legislation could "insist" that parents carry out any particular safety related precaution. Then it would have to be policed!!! That is not my view and never has been.

I have made my opinion known on this subject and that isn't going to change. I therefore again suggest that we drop the subject and move on.

I hope that you and your family have a great holiday.

Last edited:
Amazed that a simple observation could arouse such debate and argument. Myself - just finished a bowl of cullen skink by the harbour and enjoying life. Peace!
Mmmmmm cullen skink, one of my favourite things.
Which harbour?

Mmmmmm cullen skink, one of my favourite things.
Which harbour?
Went down to St Abbs and ate at Ebbs. Long drive but visiting friends. Nice but not as good as I eat at Scrabster. That is better by far.

st.abbs.jpg

st.abbs2.jpg

Good to know. I'll hopefully be that way next summer with my boy and bikes...

Back on thread.
Tissington trail last week, 27 miles with my 6 & 9 year old girls, weather good Ashbourne end and blustery at the top. A good day some what spoilt by the fact the stopping points, with kiosks/cafe, being closed. Spoke to the bike shop guy who said they probably didn't open the kiosk because of the weather?

Back on thread.
Tissington trail last week, 27 miles with my 6 & 9 year old girls, weather good Ashbourne end and blustery at the top. A good day some what spoilt by the fact the stopping points, with kiosks/cafe, being closed. Spoke to the bike shop guy who said they probably didn't open the kiosk because of the weather?
That's a marathon. Kudos to the six-year-old.

She's a good egg. Got back to the camp site then she went to play on the park with her friends :thumb

Back on thread.
We rode the Tissington trail a year with our kids a year or so ago. It was totally spoilt by the amount of dog poo on the trail and the final straw was when my wife failed to dodge some and it flicked up off her wheel and into her hair. We will never do it again.

That's a shame, fortunately didn't notice any on our ride.
Some cyclists need to learn about keeping to the correct side when passing and having patience with childrens speed on the trail.

We cleaned our bikes to get ready as soon as we are allowed to ride
9cb59b301aedfb7a3f1a4834bd8b0c23.jpg

00d07bd3505be7542067358bd7fbba36.file

We cleaned our bikes to get ready as soon as we are allowed to ride
9cb59b301aedfb7a3f1a4834bd8b0c23.jpg

00d07bd3505be7542067358bd7fbba36.file

Same here, pumped up the tyres on my ancient mountain bike so I can take the kids out into the lanes. (Assuming we are still allowed tomorrow!)
e14a885be59e85dd41523eae28bfa971.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk