Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Unusual?

Mrs Pins

Mrs Pins

Vehicle
Looking to buy
So we picked up our very nearly new Cali on Saturday, filled it up with 'stuff' and decided to camp for the night and play nicely with all the different fixtures and fittings and I must say am VERY impressed with how everything slots together,fits away etc. The point I am coming to is: the gear stick has 5 gears marked on it...driving along it seemed to want to go up another gear... so we tried and lo and behold it has 6 gears. We noticed the fuel consumption improve instantly! I can't wait to try it all out again :)

Which engine does it have? T5 or T6? beach or ocean/se?

California SE TDI BMT 1968cc.

Oddly the HPI check says 6 gears after i just read it! So maybe I need a new gear stick top :)

;)
So we picked up our very nearly new Cali on Saturday, filled it up with 'stuff' and decided to camp for the night and play nicely with all the different fixtures and fittings and I must say am VERY impressed with how everything slots together,fits away etc. The point I am coming to is: the gear stick has 5 gears marked on it...driving along it seemed to want to go up another gear... so we tried and lo and behold it has 6 gears. We noticed the fuel consumption improve instantly! I can't wait to try it all out again :)
Is this a new VW emissions cheat device?;)

California SE TDI BMT 1968cc.

Oddly the HPI check says 6 gears after i just read it! So maybe I need a new gear stick top :)
As it's a SE it will have a 6 speed box. It will be either 140 or 180 bhp - look on the back and it only the i of tdi is red then it's 140 if d and i are red then 180.

Spoke to a local VW garage and a new 'sticker' for the top will cost £11.64. But if it's wrong to start with why would I pay...? Will let Hubby try and see how he gets on with it!

If it's less the 3 years old still in warranty so insist that VW put a new one on. It may have been replaced as the 6 speed sticker on my gear knob is rubbing off - I'll get it changed by the dealer at some point.

If it's less the 3 years old still in warranty so insist that VW put a new one on. It may have been replaced as the 6 speed sticker on my gear knob is rubbing off - I'll get it changed by the dealer at some point.

If you'd gone for a DSG in the first place you could have spared yourself that cost/hassle.
:Grin

If you'd gone for a DSG in the first place you could have spared yourself that cost/hassle.
:Grin

Theres some creative manmaths at work there, justifying a £2k spend for DSG by saving the £11.46 on a new sticker.

So the Manual Gear stick just has a " Sticker " on top?

Now you know there are 6 gears why bother with a sticker. Tip, The dash display also hints at what gear you should be in for best economy.

Yes we kept seeing 5/6 on the dial but the stick only said 5... I might add here that it was NOT me driving :):D

Theres some creative manmaths at work there, justifying a £2k spend for DSG by saving the £11.46 on a new sticker.
Well that depends how often you need to replace the sticker. Let's be pessimistic and say it will last 3 months each time before the glue gives up and you need another new one. So that would mean DSG offers a 43 year payback. :talktothehand

DSG is...Queen/King...

On switch back roads, my 180BHP with its weight, gives you more time to concentrate and pick your line....and before I get accused of not knowing how to drive, I have a car that will spin its wheels in the dry in 2nd gear....they are...different but just as enjoyable.

Back