Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen overhead light

v-tec

v-tec

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi peeps,
Im looking to change my twin tube light over the kitchen unit to a LED type, as it looks a bit dull now that all the other G4 bulbs have been changed to LED,
The thing is am i having a blonde moment, the tube feels VERY tight to slide/pull out of its holder,and i dont want to break it,
Am i missing a trick or do i need to be a bit more forcefull,
Has anyone changed this one to LED, i need to get it out so i can get the info off it, to cross reference with LED,
Thanks
V-tec

Modified mine to LED a few years back... I'll see if I can dig the pictures out.

You won't find a direct replacement for the tube as it's a fluorescent.

To do the mod. it's necessary to remove the entire unit, take out the fluorescent transformer, install a couple of G4 lamp holders for the new LEDS (Same as the others) and do a little rewiring of the switch.

Actually pretty easy, sounds more complicated that it is, but there will be some cutting, gluing and soldering needed.

First picture shows the G4 holders epoxied in place, the second with LEDs installed and the third shows the difference in the lights... before and after.

If anything they are a little too bright... might be worth using different LEDs but I used these to match the others in the van.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Mark

1-DSC_0001.JPG 1-DSC_0003.JPG

1-2010 Camper Mods.jpg

Really basic question, but is it ok just to switch old halogen G4 for the LED types without any bus type things? Also, do you find the cylinder or flat type better? Thanks

Modified mine to LED a few years back... I'll see if I can dig the pictures out.

You won't find a direct replacement for the tube as it's a fluorescent.

To do the mod. it's necessary to remove the entire unit, take out the fluorescent transformer, install a couple of G4 lamp holders for the new LEDS (Same as the others) and do a little rewiring of the switch.

Actually pretty easy, sounds more complicated that it is, but there will be some cutting, gluing and soldering needed.

First picture shows the G4 holders epoxied in place, the second with LEDs installed and the third shows the difference in the lights... before and after.

If anything they are a little too bright... might be worth using different LEDs but I used these to match the others in the van.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Mark

View attachment 7452 View attachment 7453

View attachment 7454
Thanks very much for that info,
Will remove and do the mod like yours,
Cheers for posting pics
V-tec

Really basic question, but is it ok just to switch old halogen G4 for the LED types without any bus type things? Also, do you find the cylinder or flat type better? Thanks
Yes thats fine, They wont be on the bus, i will post tonight the part number for the g4 leds ,
V-tec

Thanks for the link..... Looks like another project!

Hi everyone. Jumping in to this thread now. Anyone know of any updated threads with working links for ordering leds to my T5?