Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen under unit light strip problem

Peter H

Peter H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Strange one this and only just started. The LED light strip under the kitchen unit won't fully turn off. It's quite dim but noticeably still on when sleeping at night. I've tried double pressing the button to switch it from vehicle to leisure battery and nothing seems to work. I'm concerned it will run down the leisure battery and we are touring at the moment. Anyone else seen this problem ?

First, the fridge was freezing everything and had to be replaced, now the light along the top part of the kitchen is refusing to switch off. I know it's normal to have a few teething problems with a new van and we have a warranty, but it is quite frustrating!

Unless I'm doing something wrong? Has anyone else suffered from this issue and managed to fix it without going back to the dealer, please?

No one replied to this. I've just tried to switch the same light off and it won't do so. Did you find any resolution, Peter?

Apparently there is an issue with the way these are wired up from the factory sometimes. @VW Guru knows the full story!

It was intermittent. We booked it in for a warranty repair and before the appointment it "fixed" itself. We'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again it will be in for a repair

My hubby just tried switching it on and off again, pressing the button quickly and it seems to have switched it off. I think we'll be ok for camping this weekend but if the issue persists, we'll book the vehicle in! Thanks for your help!

Ah. If you press the button twice quickly in succession it switches mode. Mode 1 is it switches on and off manually. Mode 2 is it goes on and off when you open and close the sliding door. Maybe that was it

Ah. If you press the button twice quickly in succession it switches mode. Mode 1 is it switches on and off manually. Mode 2 is it goes on and off when you open and close the sliding door. Maybe that was it

What the hell?! That's awesome. Although, initially the light was still on when I closed the van and went back to it half an hour later. Let's hope it's what you say and not a fault! Thanks Peter

Mine does the same.
In for a service in a few weeks so I’ve mentioned it to them to have a look at.

Hey I’ve just read this thread, because my kitchen light has started doing the same thing. I’ve tried the double push succession thing but this doesn’t help out back to ‘switch on off’ mode. I can switch it off completely if I keep my finger on the button constantly though, but tricky when you’re trying to sleep! Did anyone find a solution? Kind regards, Kirstie

If it helps my van doesn't have that stupid light. Ha. Sorry. Anyway I hear that it an be a control unit fault? Try mentioning that to vw

I asked them at service and they couldn’t find a problem with mine??
there is a fix for it. Related to wiring and/or as above a control module replacement.
if anybody has had the fix please could they share the details so we can pass it on to service at our local depots.

So, mine went into the dealer, this week, for a few ‘snags’ to be rectified, the kitchen light strip being one of them, and has been returned with the same issue. The kitchen strip light doesn’t fully switch off, it’s very, very dim, but not off completely. Not a major issue, as doesn’t seem to use much power from the battery, but when you sleep downstairs, it’s annoying. Back to the dealer, I guess!

So, mine went into the dealer, this week, for a few ‘snags’ to be rectified, the kitchen light strip being one of them, and has been returned with the same issue. The kitchen strip light doesn’t fully switch off, it’s very, very dim, but not off completely. Not a major issue, as doesn’t seem to use much power from the battery, but when you sleep downstairs, it’s annoying. Back to the dealer, I guess!
Just had the cargo bulb blow took out the fuse which also on same cuicuit as strip light now the light wont turn off at all. So had to pull the fuse for the time being, lucky its going in tuesday for lowering kit and another wtee repair on roof. Let see what they say?

:D
Just had the cargo bulb blow took out the fuse which also on same cuicuit as strip light now the light wont turn off at all. So had to pull the fuse for the time being, lucky its going in tuesday for lowering kit and another wtee repair on roof. Let see what they say?
See if it’s ‘connected’

have now sorted not sure how by holding button down for periods and pressing multiple times seemed to switch off and reset. gone back to normal.. Probably was not swearing in german enough!

I have a similar issue, except my light is in disco mode not just dim. Which fuse did you pull please as I've tried the one for the interior lights (from Loz's handy picture) but they are all still working :-(

Mine switches from mode 1 to mode 2 (two flashes) but doesn't come on with the courtesy lighting. I consider myself lucky that my fault doesn't result in a continuous light or flashing disco lights. Sounds like a wasp nest not to be poked.

Mine switches from mode 1 to mode 2 (two flashes) but doesn't come on with the courtesy lighting. I consider myself lucky that my fault doesn't result in a continuous light or flashing disco lights. Sounds like a wasp nest not to be poked.
Try opening the vanity mirror passenger side. This sometimes turns it on

Hey I’ve just read this thread, because my kitchen light has started doing the same thing. I’ve tried the double push succession thing but this doesn’t help out back to ‘switch on off’ mode. I can switch it off completely if I keep my finger on the button constantly though, but tricky when you’re trying to sleep! Did anyone find a solution? Kind regards, Kirstie
HI, I know this has been a while but I have the same problem. Keeping finger on it turns it off. Did you get yours sorted? Thanks!

HI, I know this has been a while but I have the same problem. Keeping finger on it turns it off. Did you get yours sorted? Thanks!
I did manage to fix my issue with the kitchen light by finding the right fuse and pulling it out. I left the fuse out for months and then decided to put it back in and don’t have the problem any more but I haven’t dared to try the mode where the kitchen light comes on when you open the door. Hope that helps.

Back