Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen pods and rear shelf shortening in T6 2 seater rear bench beach- photos please

E

El&Ed

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I would really like a kitchen pod. I know this has been touched upon in the past but not for a while. I have wanted one for a while but resisted. I feel I will use the van more with some improvements. My children are getting to the age I feel I can camp for a few days without my husband - ideal for the long school holidays. For this to happen I would like less work e.g. setting up the camp kitchen and cinch.

My criteria is one that can live in the van ready for day trips but can come out of the van when camping with my cinch hub. Ideally I would like it to be squeezed in the gap between the storage box and the passenger seat but open to other ideas. Also when we are camping for a few days as a 3 I can have it in the van with the bed down. It doesn’t have to have a sink but there are times when visiting the beach for the full day I thought it would be handy because I’m having to store bottled water anyway and then when I get home after a long day I’m washing up. Definitely don’t want a fixed hob. I don’t want to lose my big bed so nothing on top of the storage box.

UK based to avoid additional shipping costs.

Van gear Nano: really like this but the main table cannot be used when squeezed between storage box and passenger seat, not a deal breaker as long as I can slide the door out to access cupboard.

IMG_3778.jpeg

Van gear mini - don’t think it will squeeze in said place. Could have by the sliding door or middle but no good when I want the rear seats fully forward. I don’t think that will fit with the 5th seat for my MIL - we usually take her to the beach.

IMG_3779.jpeg

Things I have tried:

Making one out of an IKEA Alex drawers - tried that and too bulky now in my study.

IMG_3777.jpeg

Bathroom storage with wicker baskets - fits in space but too small and doesn’t fix properly to the rails because it is just a frame it doesn’t have a base and I’ve secured with a bungee cord - not ideal.
IMG_3776.jpeg

Made the side table, loved it and even stored the loo underneath it but no storage for the mugs and tea etc.

A mug shelf - can access when roof is down

Do I just need window or passenger seat storage for hot drink making?

I tried taking multiple flasks of hot water - works but not great for leaving the house in a hurry and filling the floor with multiple bags for life because lacking storage.

Another thing I am pondering… if I shorten (make a new one) the inflexible parcel self, can I still lie the bed flat and just have a slightly shorter bed? We aren’t tall so if this is possible we won’t miss the extra length.

I’m going round in circles which I don’t mind but I’m ready for a bit of direction from people that have been there done that.

Many thanks for reading this far!

I’m not sure a slide pod will fit in the boot. I think my parcel shelf is too low. Thanks though.
If you have a multi flex board they make one that fits perfectly under it, it plugs in to 12v socket in boot, has onboard waste water and fresh water tanks and cadac dual pak gas canisters, it bolts in on the rails, and takes about half an hour to put in and take out. You don't lose any space in living area

If you have a multi flex board they make one that fits perfectly under it, it plugs in to 12v socket in boot, has onboard waste water and fresh water tanks and cadac dual pak gas canisters, it bolts in on the rails, and takes about half an hour to put in and take out. You don't lose any space in living area
Unfortunately, these rear boot pods are designed for the 3 seat rear bench which is higher, so they don’t work for the Beach with the 2-seat bench.

I would really like a kitchen pod. I know this has been touched upon in the past but not for a while. I have wanted one for a while but resisted. I feel I will use the van more with some improvements. My children are getting to the age I feel I can camp for a few days without my husband - ideal for the long school holidays. For this to happen I would like less work e.g. setting up the camp kitchen and cinch.

My criteria is one that can live in the van ready for day trips but can come out of the van when camping with my cinch hub. Ideally I would like it to be squeezed in the gap between the storage box and the passenger seat but open to other ideas. Also when we are camping for a few days as a 3 I can have it in the van with the bed down. It doesn’t have to have a sink but there are times when visiting the beach for the full day I thought it would be handy because I’m having to store bottled water anyway and then when I get home after a long day I’m washing up. Definitely don’t want a fixed hob. I don’t want to lose my big bed so nothing on top of the storage box.

UK based to avoid additional shipping costs.

Van gear Nano: really like this but the main table cannot be used when squeezed between storage box and passenger seat, not a deal breaker as long as I can slide the door out to access cupboard.

View attachment 128734

Van gear mini - don’t think it will squeeze in said place. Could have by the sliding door or middle but no good when I want the rear seats fully forward. I don’t think that will fit with the 5th seat for my MIL - we usually take her to the beach.

View attachment 128736

Things I have tried:

Making one out of an IKEA Alex drawers - tried that and too bulky now in my study.

View attachment 128737

Bathroom storage with wicker baskets - fits in space but too small and doesn’t fix properly to the rails because it is just a frame it doesn’t have a base and I’ve secured with a bungee cord - not ideal.
View attachment 128739

Made the side table, loved it and even stored the loo underneath it but no storage for the mugs and tea etc.

A mug shelf - can access when roof is down

Do I just need window or passenger seat storage for hot drink making?

I tried taking multiple flasks of hot water - works but not great for leaving the house in a hurry and filling the floor with multiple bags for life because lacking storage.

Another thing I am pondering… if I shorten (make a new one) the inflexible parcel self, can I still lie the bed flat and just have a slightly shorter bed? We aren’t tall so if this is possible we won’t miss the extra length.

I’m going round in circles which I don’t mind but I’m ready for a bit of direction from people that have been there done that.

Many thanks for reading this far!
I may be able to help you out with some ideas. There are a number of different pods you can buy for the Beach. Where do you want to locate one, behind one of the seats or to replace the side storage box?
I have made my own multiflex out of plywood and also shortened the bed to about 180cm. I have a Maxxcamp Willy kitchen pod that is designed to go between the passenger seat and the side storage, but I’ve made it fit (just) along the side, although longer term I may get the Maxxcamp Vario module. I have built a side cover that allows access to the space under the bench seat that is normally hard to access. In the boot I have two 60x40cm euro crates and a Trobolo toilet.

I have added some photos below of my setup. I still have the old carpet so you can see the difference the modifications make to interior space. Hopefully it will give you some ideas on what can be done.

You can replace the existing multiflex board with a 12 or 18mm plywood one by drawing round it and cutting a bit shorter. From memory you can shorten by about 15cm if using the existing multiflex metal frame. You then need to shorten the mattress by the same amount. It’s then up to you what kind of modules/pods you want to add. I will put a list together of other pod options I am aware of, and add them to the thread, although I think only the one I have is specifically designed for the Beach with the 2-seat bench. Of course if you shorten the bed it opens up other options for putting a pod behind the drivers seat.

IMG_8119.jpeg

IMG_8118.jpeg

IMG_8117.jpeg

IMG_8120.jpeg

IMG_8116.jpeg

Thank you so much for all this information. When I get a moment I’ll look into all what you have said.

Back