Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Klymit vs Sea to summit vs Quechua Mats

TheM

TheM

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All,

I recently bought a Beach and have been weighing up different options to improve the comfort of the lower bed. If you have mattress thread fatigue stop reading now :) ! The mattress toppers available seem quite bulky so was leaning towards getting two self-inflating mats approx 75cm wide instead that could be stowed away in the pop-top when not in use. I have read good things about the Sea to Summit Large Wide (76cm wide) mats although they seem quite pricey. I have also seen a recommendation for Klymit Static V Luxe Extra wide (30 inches wide ) mats. And another one for Quechua Inflatable Camping Mattress Ultim Comfort (70cm wide).

I realize there is a lot of personal preference involved here but would love to hear of anyone's experience with any of the above. Any issues storing them in the pop-top? Do they take a long time to inflate/deflate? Are the more expensive ones really that much better? Has anyone tried mattress toppers as well as the self-inflating mats and have a view on pros and cons? Is there another recommendation other than the ones above?

Thanks in advance!

I bought the Quecha ones on a recommendation from another recent thread. I was about to buy a Vanessa one but really didn't want to give up all that space that most mattresses need. I've just had the 2nd weekend with the Quechas and we're really pleased with them. You do not feel the contours of the 3 seat beach bench. I don't blow ours all the way up so they have a bit of softness to them.

Deflated (you can get all air out and either fold them to the same size that they are shipped in, or roll up) I reckon they take up max half the space of a vanessa / Brandrup / VW mattress on the multiflex. They are 7cm each when inflated. They clip together, inflate and deflate quickly. Not sure if you can store them full time upstairs, but certainly in the day. Note that two are too wide to go upstairs. They were £160 posted so definitely a great option and would definitely recommend.

Thanks this is really helpful. Sounds like a good option for price, space and comfort which is exactly what I was after.

I have the Sea to Summit SIM. I wish I’d bought it years ago for the downstairs bed. Very comfortable. I don’t bother trying to get it back in it’s bag. I just roll it up whilst kneeling on it to get most of the air out.

Thanks, I hadn't seen those before and the reviews sound amazing. It looks like it is 132cm based on the specs but a reviewer mentioned it was in fact a few cm wider than that. Does yours go nearly the full 150cm across the lower bed base?

Hi I have an unopened Sea to Summit mattress for sale. Highly recommend. Purchased two but only used one.
Let me know if it interests you.
Thanks

Thanks, I hadn't seen those before and the reviews sound amazing. It looks like it is 132cm based on the specs but a reviewer mentioned it was in fact a few cm wider than that. Does yours go nearly the full 150cm across the lower bed base?
Yep, fits well the whole way across, maybe 1cm gap each side. Not camped with it yet but tested it on the drive and is v comfy and you can't feel anything underneath it even when you lay on your side.

Yep, fits well the whole way across, maybe 1cm gap each side. Not camped with it yet but tested it on the drive and is v comfy and you can't feel anything underneath it even when you lay on your side.

Do you use this straight on top of the 3 seater bench seat and multiflex? Our current setup (VW comfort mat + ikea topper + duvet + pillows) takes up so much room in the back

Hi All,

I recently bought a Beach and have been weighing up different options to improve the comfort of the lower bed. If you have mattress thread fatigue stop reading now :) ! The mattress toppers available seem quite bulky so was leaning towards getting two self-inflating mats approx 75cm wide instead that could be stowed away in the pop-top when not in use. I have read good things about the Sea to Summit Large Wide (76cm wide) mats although they seem quite pricey. I have also seen a recommendation for Klymit Static V Luxe Extra wide (30 inches wide ) mats. And another one for Quechua Inflatable Camping Mattress Ultim Comfort (70cm wide).

I realize there is a lot of personal preference involved here but would love to hear of anyone's experience with any of the above. Any issues storing them in the pop-top? Do they take a long time to inflate/deflate? Are the more expensive ones really that much better? Has anyone tried mattress toppers as well as the self-inflating mats and have a view on pros and cons? Is there another recommendation other than the ones above?

Thanks in advance!
I am very happy with my Thermarest Mondo King XXL - super comfortable and warm on rough terrain. Must admit have not yet tried it in the less challenging situation of the van bed !

Do you use this straight on top of the 3 seater bench seat and multiflex? Our current setup (VW comfort mat + ikea topper + duvet + pillows) takes up so much room in the back
Sorry for the delayed reply! Yes straight onto the seats. Used it last week and was great, money well spent. Super easy and quick to deflate too if you want to head out for the day and don't have an awning set up to chuck it into (like we did).

Sorry for the delayed reply! Yes straight onto the seats. Used it last week and was great, money well spent. Super easy and quick to deflate too if you want to head out for the day and don't have an awning set up to chuck it into (like we did).

Thanks! Do you have the mini pad on the multiflex board to level it out? We are looking for something that can pack away quickly when traveling around.

At the moment i fill this huge bag up with the VW comfort mat and a IKEA topper which isn't quick at all (and clashes with the window bags)

IMG_20200828_123548_499.jpg

Thanks! Do you have the mini pad on the multiflex board to level it out? We are looking for something that can pack away quickly when traveling around.

At the moment i fill this huge bag up with the VW comfort mat and a IKEA topper which isn't quick at all (and clashes with the window bags)

View attachment 65423
Yes mini pad on the rear shelf. Didn't take any photos but we had all the bedding, deflated matt and a bit of luggage on top of the shelf during transit and could still see a bit out of the rear window.

Back