Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kool Kettle

Johnboy

Johnboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Got this fancy camping kettle as a present (Kelly Kettle). Tested it today........

really quick to boil. It whistles when ready. Use any old twigs and dry leaves to fuel it. Keep the fire burning by dropping more fuel down the chimney.

This will be part of the the Cali kit from now on.

IMG_6197[1].JPG

IMG_6209.jpg

One lives in the back of my van. OK - there are faster ways to get a brew on but after a long wet run or ride it just feels like a nice ritual. Also for the morning coffee, plus you can get alright toast using the grille if there are plenty of hot embers left after the water’s boiled.
I also use a wood gas stove for lighter travelling

Had one for years, never found the space to carry it in the van though, they are good..

Got this fancy camping kettle as a present (Kelly Kettle). Tested it today........

really quick to boil. It whistles when ready. Use any old twigs and dry leaves to fuel it. Keep the fire burning by dropping more fuel down the chimney.

View attachment 74426

View attachment 74427

View attachment 74426

View attachment 74427
Do these new ones have a vented stopper? My older Kelly has a cork stopper but only for transporting water.

The green stopper is a whistle so is in effect vented, although you still shouldn't shove it in too hard in case it pops out under pressure

You can get a pot stand and cook over the flame coming up the chimney.

B0005653-0462-4C60-B061-5AD4AABD1E1A.jpegEF469104-C0B5-43B8-8373-F02368EE3EFF.jpeg

Use it in conjunction with a Cobb cooker to: start the charcoal, boil water (great when you’ve not much oomph left in the coals for anything else) for drinks or the washing up, etc, start to cook on top while the charcoal gets ready. I take my Cobb in the Cali for cooking outside and to save space use the Cobb as the base for the Kellie (it’s the only time you can use fire in the Cobb without damaging the grommets or plastic ring as the heat’s contained within the chimney).

7CEA5C1B-07D6-4EFC-936D-3ECF23415C09.jpeg2595FC92-D91D-4C31-A7AE-0CF8F7978A94.jpeg

Here it’s over fire (at the end of a big fire cook), also heating a hanging Billy can.278B57B5-3F7F-4011-8061-679E7CB80652.jpeg

I wouldn’t be without mine. The best thing is you can use so many different types of free, foraged fuel: sticks, twigs, pine cones, dried animal dung, etc.

Happy kettling, guys. The Kellie’s so much fun.

Last edited:
One lives in the back of my van. OK - there are faster ways to get a brew on but after a long wet run or ride it just feels like a nice ritual. Also for the morning coffee, plus you can get alright toast using the grille if there are plenty of hot embers left after the water’s boiled.
I also use a wood gas stove for lighter travelling
It makes a great buddy for my firebox stove.08EA1104-C01F-4F34-92A0-BCCB1CD277D1.jpeg

Just love that one. Have you had it from new, AA, or acquired it? Any idea how old it is?
The old one is a Volcano Camp Kettle, picked it up at a car boot sale, no idea of its age .... it’s heavy! I might do a google!

Firebox next on the shopping list Elly!
We were down in Cataluña a few years ago, first week of Easter and it was freezing. The KK really worked hard making brews and hot water bottles for 6 people, would’ve cost a fortune in gas!
The firebox is fantastic, also. In the UK the suppliers are the Bushcraft store. https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/index.asp?function=search.

If you come to the UK campervanning they help run the BushCraft Show (a kind of festival of bush crafting with lots of great talks, demos, workshops and trade stalls). It’s usually in May so don’t know if it’ll be on this year. https://thebushcraftshow.co.uk/.

The k kettle is so useful if you need a lot of water, like you say. Here we are at a festival. During the first night the dog had a really bad stomach upset. Thank goodness we had the Kellie.
0D139AE5-84F9-4DA9-A292-5A59D9EEC493.jpeg

The firebox is fantastic, also. In the UK the suppliers are the Bushcraft store. https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/index.asp?function=search.

If you come to the UK campervanning they help run the BushCraft Show (a kind of festival of bush crafting with lots of great talks, demos, workshops and trade stalls). It’s usually in May so don’t know if it’ll be on this year. https://thebushcraftshow.co.uk/.

The k kettle is so useful if you need a lot of water, like you say. Here we are at a festival. During the first night the dog had a really bad stomach upset. Thank goodness we had the Kellie.
View attachment 74485
Thanks for the link! Currently giving most use to a wee wood gas stove, great for hikes https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-lite/

Back