Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Language for Central Control Unit

S1andS2

S1andS2

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Just picked up my new California T6 today from a garage in Swiss Germany. All perfect except the central control unit (the one controlling roof, heating, fridge etc) is set in German language. Much scratching of heads and the technicians hooked up their diagnostic computer, but they could not find a way to change the language to English (or French). Now I guess I can learn the German words but does anyone know how the language for that unit is set? Dashboard and Media Center were easily changed. Many thanks for any advice.

Just picked up my new California T6 today from a garage in Swiss Germany. All perfect except the central control unit (the one controlling roof, heating, fridge etc) is set in German language. Much scratching of heads and the technicians hooked up their diagnostic computer, but they could not find a way to change the language to English (or French). Now I guess I can learn the German words but does anyone know how the language for that unit is set? Dashboard and Media Center were easily changed. Many thanks for any advice.
Press and hold R lower button. Then Press the Control Button for a few seconds. A new secret menu scroll through the new menu and there is should be a Language selection. Then select language and press button.

Thanks for the extremely quick reply...will try this out tomorrow

Welcome on your first post , some are working in shifts here just to provide answers within' 15min of a post....:D
Guess @WelshGas was doing the late-shift

We would love to see/hear more about your newborn Cali.

So many thanks for the advice - it took me 20 seconds only to fix that with your instructions. I will pass them on to the Swiss German garage in case they ever sell a Cali to a non-German speaker again.

So this is our first Camper van and we are quite excited to try it out as soon as possible. However we have not kitted it out yet with winter tyres and it was snowing today so will have to be patient. Have been trying to find one for several weeks in Switzerland with the help of AMAG but it is open warfare for Cali's in the Swiss VW garages at present - everything in stock was sold or reserved or the garages did not want to exchange with each other. In the end found a garage in Swiss Germany where the salesman spoke French , had some stock of the right spec, was able to visit, reserve and buy. In the end the spec had somewhat more than I would have chosen but then....:thumb. All his stock was sold by the following week. First drive from Langenthal back to Suisse Romande. Table rattle sorted (previously noted from forum threads). Other rattles traced to stuff in lower seat drawer.

So California Ocean 2.0Bi 204. 4 Motion. DSG. Acapulco Blue. First road trip back to UK in June.
untitled-5.JPG

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome

Glad you're sorted. Nice California.

Very smart van! Bet you can't wait to get out in it.....Welcome.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hi S1andS2 - where are you based in romandie? We're near Lausanne and picking up our first California on Friday from AMAG Etoy. Would be great to meet up and share our newbie discoveries and tips :)

We live in a village called Bossonnens at the back of Vevey. Will be an exciting day to pick up your new Camper - enjoy. We had a first overnight outing last weekend to Gstaad - great fun and cooked a first fondue on the camper cooker.

For sure we can meet up, have not found a California club in CH though there is a Motorhome club. Maybe find a spot by the lake meet one evening for a beer e.g. Cully?

so not far away at all then! We're on the Vevey side of Lausanne, so Cully is a short drive. It would be great to meet there one evening for a beer (my husband is a brewer so our fridge will be well-stocked)
:cheers
Re California clubs in CH, there's a Facebook group (look for VW California Schweiz) but it's almost exclusively in (Swiss-)German and I feel bad posting in English.

ps: apologies to the other forum users for taking this thread off topic. Perhaps there's a way to exchange private messages?

Press and hold R lower button. Then Press the Control Button for a few seconds. A new secret menu scroll through the new menu and there is should be a Language selection. Then select language and press button.
Got me sorted out as well dealer left it set to German Manuel said nothing on how to change, you got me going in 30 seconds

Cheers

I have a 68 plate T6 Ocean with the same problem; can you explain what the R lower and Control Button are please or, even betterer, show a picture!

Hi there, Just applied this fix to a new control panel sourced from my dealer at great expense...was expecting more grief when display showed up in German!! But solved in 1 minute thanks to your post....really appreciated. Peter

Many thanks for this Thread. I was looking for the fix and then googled it. Worked easily, 10 seconds and now the German is switched the the Queen’s.

We’ve just brought a new van T6 and it’s set in German - tried to follow suggestions above (Hold down 5 and then press 4 for secret pop up) and nothing’s happening.
Can anyone help - are we doing it wrong?

We’ve just brought a new van T6 and it’s set in German - tried to follow suggestions above (Hold down 5 and then press 4 for secret pop up) and nothing’s happening.
Can anyone help - are we doing it wrong?
It works every time on mine.

Hold in the lower right button then press in the middle of the knob
at the same time.

Mine has reset itself to German (batteries are flashing) - assuming leisure battery is drained due to not using the van. I've tried the above to reset and getting the same as Tracey W - 'secret menu' does not pop up.

Just to reiterate:-
Press (5) for five plus seconds, whilst holding down, press 4 - no menu with language pops up!

Can anyone help?

Evening Simon - it took us a while to work it out but ‘language’ does come up if you follow the above steps but it’s in German!

So hold 5, press 4 and then select ‘Sprache’ - it then gives you all the different languages you can select.

Good Luck

Gawd, saw that but didn't think to get it translated - my son previously rest this for us - entirely my fault. Lesson learned, I wont forget this in a hurry.

Thanks very much Tracey, its much appreciated.

You’re welcome.

We didn’t translate it for ages so you’re not alone - hopefully this thread will help some other non German speaking folk!