Late T6 or New T7?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have a late T5.1 that came with lots of Options included in the base price.
So, when I come to sell will I go for a Late T6 or a new T7.

After reading the many posts regarding the trials and tribulations of ordering a new T6 in it's first year and the fact that virtually everything is an Option and the new engines have yet to prove themselves, I'm personally inclined NOT to order a T7 ( if there is a California version ) and instead go for a new, last year of manufacture, T6.

Going on past performance many of the Options will be included in the base vehicle, to encourage/maintain sales as time goes by. Eg: Cruise control is an Option at present whereas on the 2015 MY California SE it was included. By then the new engines etc: will have proved themselves as well.

Unless, of course, the T7 was a radical improvement over the T6. Such as a Plastic or equivalent roof, Hybrid engine technology doing away with separate Leisure batteries, built in Solar Panels etc:

Any thoughts???

Just thought we needed something new to discuss rather than Roofs, Options, Delivery Delays etc: all very useful and informative to those involved but would be nice to have some " Blue Sky " thinking.:thumb

Blimey, thinking ahead then?

Chances are a 7 will be hybrid, prob petrol. Who knows, maybe full electric.

Would that alter your decision?

Imagine the "can I run my leisure batteries off the main battery" posts?

I'll be the one cruising past in my 4.

If you would like to wait till 2022 for the T7!
Will VW still exist then?

by the sounds of it the Engine development team will be incarcerated in US jails pretty soon, so we may have to make do with existing drivetrains, although I did like the sounds of the announcements from Detroit this week and VW are committed to introducing a lot of electric drivetrains (I thought from next year).

So I think if we were to get a T7 that was something close to what they have shown I'd go for that rather than a late T6.

So far my thoughts have been go for a late T6 when everyone is waiting for the T7. By then it should all be proven stuff.

Don't tell Albert though :shocked

Recent reports suggest cars will readily be available without the need for a driver by 2020. Order a cab and it may turn up without a driver! Electric and other means of power will develop at an increasingly quicker rate. Politics and economics could put a spanner in the world of finance, tax and transport taxes in particular. It's what you might call a fluid situation? Will there ever be a T7 and, if there is, it may be so radically different we might not want it?

Teslas can do that today - they are releasing the software to 1000 cars and "shadow testing" on all other cars with the correct equipment. Technically do not need a human to drive but legally do.

Teslas can do that today - they are releasing the software to 1000 cars and "shadow testing" on all other cars with the correct equipment. Technically do not need a human to drive but legally do.
Would it comply with the Caravan Club rules for on-pitch parking? :D

I'm predicting a world laid to waste by a Putin/Trump falling out.
A Mad Max style landscape where the only vehicles left running are Calis with giant diesel tanks lashed to their tailgates.
Two tribes. Beaches and SE's constantly at war, raiding each other's sites in search of fuel.
Obvs the T4 will be the vehicle to have as its bulet proof.
T7's will be stranded in lines at what's left of the dealers forecourts slowly corroding into the dust.

Personal i think the T6 California's could well be the last VW factory made campervan.

If a T7 arrives i think VW not gonna bother anymore to produce a California , other manufacturs will take over to rebuild it in a campervan
Or VW will concentrate on a Crafter based campingcar....
My 50 cent....

Being serious. I hope the 7 turns out to be something that will really inspire me.

I was a little disappointed with the 6 in it's not-much-different-from-the-5 ness.

Recent reports suggest cars will readily be available without the need for a driver by 2020. Order a cab and it may turn up without a driver! Electric and other means of power will develop at an increasingly quicker rate. Politics and economics could put a spanner in the world of finance, tax and transport taxes in particular. It's what you might call a fluid situation? Will there ever be a T7 and, if there is, it may be so radically different we might not want it?
With the state of our roads, (and I can't see them changing much in the next three years), there is no way I would want anything to do with a driverless car. Unless they are programmed to dodge round the many craters that litter our road network I predict some catastrophic hardware and software failures along with some interesting insurance claims.

I'm predicting a world laid to waste by a Putin/Trump falling out.
A Mad Max style landscape where the only vehicles left running are Calis with giant diesel tanks lashed to their tailgates.
Two tribes. Beaches and SE's constantly at war, raiding each other's sites in search of fuel.
Obvs the T4 will be the vehicle to have as its bulet proof.
T7's will be stranded in lines at what's left of the dealers forecourts slowly corroding into the dust.
I'd better order some stronger gas struts for the tail gate then!

VW drag one of these out every year or so.
I can't see them doing anything like that unless it forms the basis for a van. Limited numbers as a camper would make it more expensive than the T6 which is already far too much money.

Last edited:
I was a little disappointed with the 6 in it's not-much-different-from-the-5 ness.
Yep, roof still rots, high level brake light still falls out. We are waiting on the first control panel display to go fuzzy / jumpy / knob to fall off.
Sorry to drag down your optimistic post @WelshGas

Yep, roof still rots, high level brake light still falls out. We are waiting on the first control panel display to go fuzzy / jumpy / knob to fall off.
Sorry to drag down your optimistic post @WelshGas
All part of the rites of passage.
As has been said, the T6 was really a T5.2. Hopefully the T7 may be a complete redesign rather than a T5.3.:thumb

California sales are a tiny fraction of VW turnover. Unless they sort out the roof issues I cannot see any investment in a new design unless to promote the Transporter as a marketing tool. They will probably follow the Apple model and concentrate on lower cost volume sales.

I think the T7 will be recognisable as a mildly updated T6, albeit with more emphasis on the Bluemotion, emissions and/or hybrid engine tech stuff. I expect a lot more funky LEDs inside & out and maybe some edgier colours.

By then half the UK population will be over 50 - they can't make them fast enough & people will pay top whack in every geo - why would they ever stop?

Andrew English also makes good points on the Microbus concepts - I love all of them, but have now learned it's just an annual tease. This one maybe has more chance, but it'd be electric & in parallel to the Transporter, not instead of.

I think the T7 will be recognisable as a mildly updated T6, albeit with more emphasis on the Bluemotion, emissions and/or hybrid engine tech stuff. I expect a lot more funky LEDs inside & out and maybe some edgier colours.

By then half the UK population will be over 50 - they can't make them fast enough & people will pay top whack in every geo - why would they ever stop?

Andrew English also makes good points on the Microbus concepts - I love all of them, but have now learned it's just an annual tease. This one maybe has more chance, but it'd be electric & in parallel to the Transporter, not instead of.

And ridiculously expensive, ref XL1

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/futures/xl1

With the advent of European emissions having to be no more than 95g CO2/km by the end of 2020. A cut of nearly 50% on the current T6 the T7 will be part of a major redesign of the commercial van.
Like other Manufacturers VW will have to employ , dare I mention it here? alloy metals to reduce weight quite dramatically, Land Rover & BMW have already gone down this route.

Will we hear "What you only have roof corrosion on your T6" from T7 owners?

T5 & T6 models will jump into the historic category overnight joining the T2's etc.

T7 will be either a Hybrid or battery powered vehicle.
Camper van sales will soar as on a long trip you'd have to spend a few nights enroute charging up the batteries for the next stage, whilst T6 owners whizz by.;)

Last edited:
Back