Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 Hybrid for 2017 ?

I haven't got a T6 yet! Don't want to know anything about T7's for at least 3 years!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

...got a 2012 T5 ...don't want any T6 , 7 or whatever for the next decade .....!:D

I hear the T7 will be driverless - just plug your destination into the sat nav, pop the kettle on and snuggle down in the back with your Mrs .... when you wake up you'll be at the seaside

Just got my Cali this year but, having seen what other brands are doing...... let see what happens in the future

I hear the T7 will be driverless - just plug your destination into the sat nav, pop the kettle on and snuggle down in the back with your Mrs .... when you wake up you'll be at the seaside
Or in the middle of a river / dock / forest etc when the sat nav has gone wrong!

Well, while at the Dealership had a good nose round a T6 Ocean and a drive in a T6 Caravelle. Both very nice vehicles but I was underwhelmed by the changes. Think I will be waiting for the T7.
long wait !!!

long wait !!!
I can't wait any longer than mid 2016, the T7 will need to compete with the Marco Polo and any other new entrants into the market and I can see this extra competition overtaking VW unless they come up with some significant changes.

I am happy with a T6 now ( or soonish) at The T5 price rather than waIt for the T7 at Marco Polo prices.

The German press seems to be muting a T7 for 2017 - Autobild & the like..
Has anyone heard anything more concrete?

Electric Hybrid version in final stages of development....cant see a t7 based on ther longevity of previous models.

Electric Hybrid version in final stages of development....cant see a t7 based on ther longevity of previous models.
I suppose that such a development of a Hybrid drivetrain would be to meet future Emission standards or even the Euro6 if the testing becomes even more " Real World " in nature than the very defined Laboratory system at present.
Such a radical change in Drivetrain would require a change in Vehicle design so a T7 could be on the cards sooner rather than later but whether it would include Leisure vehicles is another matter entirely.

Electric California with even record 300 miles range? No thank you ;)
This is exactly the vehicle for over 800 miles daily trips. Even doing record 300 miles you'll have to stop for 1-2 hours in exact charging spot to get you another 300 miles..

My friend works for JLR and I've had the pleasure to have a ride in a Hybrid landrover, diesel and electric. I have never known acceleration like it in such a big vehicle, the electric assists the engine and reduces the load when possible. The 4x4 performance is reportedly amazing too because of the controlability.

It could be very good indeed. Plus new battery tech is reported to be chargeable in less than 30 minutes.

I have my reservations about an electric California. Kind of reduces its go anywhere appeal (unless the roof is a solar panel and it has a wind turbine too)

You have got to think by the time the T7 comes around let's say a minimum of 12 years from now,technology will have vastly moved on by then

I know I'm a bit stuck on a theme but I can wait until they sort out the T6 ordering and options but not for a T7. I'm too damned old. However a stroke of a pen at VW HQ could give me the option of a petrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont think about strokes Mike - get your order in ........... i hear vw are looking out adding an iron lung and purple rinser to the uk options to cater to our ageing ownership profile - be part of the solution

You have got to think by the time the T7 comes around let's say a minimum of 12 years from now,technology will have vastly moved on by then
Fusion technology ... Did you see Prof Brian Cox on Horizon last night?

12 years really? New Cali will be with us way before 12 years... Autobild already talking 2017.
Electric versions will have limited scope. Lightweight electric cars (BMW i3) has 100 mile range with far less weight than any Cali and of course no holiday gear. Also manufacturers don't guarantee any of their published ranges as this depends upon various factors such as terrain, and driving style...

Last edited:
12 years really? New Cali will be with us way before 12 years... Autobild already talking 2017.
Electric versions will have limited scope. Lightweight electric cars (BMW i3) has 100 mile range with far less weight than any Cali and of course no holiday gear. Also manufacturers don't guarantee any of their published ranges as this depends upon various factors such as terrain, and driving style...

But comparing against the high end today, it looks a bit more do-able.

A Tesla Model S P85 weighs 2239Kg, has a range of 310 miles and using the Supercharger network, can be recharged for another 180 miles in 30 mins, or fully charged in 75 minutes.

An electric Cali wouldn't be *that* much heavier ( swap a few hundred Kgs of engine, gearbox, exhaust and fuel for batteries ), but would need twice the battery capacity to give it a similar 600+mile range to what we have today. So, we'd have a 170kWh battery pack, and using the 135kW Superchargers, could add a range of ~375 miles in a one hour charge. Maybe 2.5 hours to get back to 100%.

Supercharging stations are still a bit sparse, so although I'd be concerned *today* about hitting all the right stops on the way down through Europe, that's changing rapidly. Most of us are going to stop for an hours break every 5 hours anyway.

The P85 takes around 9 hours to fully recharge from a standard home 13A/240V connection. Double that for our California, but you can still get a pretty big boost if you're plugged in on a campsite overnight ( with a 16A supply - not so much at 3 amps ).

I'll be holding onto my T5 for a few more years though.

Agree,
But comparing against the high end today, it looks a bit more do-able.

A Tesla Model S P85 weighs 2239Kg, has a range of 310 miles and using the Supercharger network, can be recharged for another 180 miles in 30 mins, or fully charged in 75 minutes.

An electric Cali wouldn't be *that* much heavier ( swap a few hundred Kgs of engine, gearbox, exhaust and fuel for batteries ), but would need twice the battery capacity to give it a similar 600+mile range to what we have today. So, we'd have a 170kWh battery pack, and using the 135kW Superchargers, could add a range of ~375 miles in a one hour charge. Maybe 2.5 hours to get back to 100%.

Supercharging stations are still a bit sparse, so although I'd be concerned *today* about hitting all the right stops on the way down through Europe, that's changing rapidly. Most of us are going to stop for an hours break every 5 hours anyway.

The P85 takes around 9 hours to fully recharge from a standard home 13A/240V connection. Double that for our California, but you can still get a pretty big boost if you're plugged in on a campsite overnight ( with a 16A supply - not so much at 3 amps ).

I'll be holding onto my T5 for a few more years though.
Mostly agree however there are still many hurdles to overcome to battery technology and the current technology would need to make a massive advance. Rapid or supercharging does absolutely nothing for battery life as told to me by the technical director of the largest car charge products company here in the uk. Deep cycle discharge still affects current technologies and whilst not insurmountable, other technologies such as hydrogen fuel cells are making rapid advances, with the UK leading this technology from the heart of sunny Sussex! Whatever happens, we will see rapid advances over the coming years and one thing for sure, there will be a new Cali out before these technologies establish themselves. New technology will always be more expensive - imagine a current £50k Cali now costing £60k or £65k because it's battery version or equivalent technology - I wouldn't be buying one either, and I agree with you, I'll be holding onto my Cali for some time to come.

Tesla has shown that the technology is possible, but yep, cost is really the big factor. It’s not clear how much a Tesla battery pack costs ( as they have an 8 year, infinite mile warranty ). Perhaps as low as £10,000, so double that for the size a California would need. And then you might need to pay out another £20,000 to keep your 8 year old Cali on the road. You could drive an awful lot miles on £20,000 of diesel.

So, I’m sure we’re not going to see a fully electric T7 in 2017, and I don’t think a hybrid really makes much sense for a camper. But VW, and every other manufacturer, have to be accelerating the rollout of electric vehicles following ‘dieselgate’. There’s probably already a market for an electric/hybrid T6 Transporter with a 100-200 mile range. Give it another 10 years, and I’ll part exchange for a 1000 mile range electric T8 California.

Tesla has shown that the technology is possible, but yep, cost is really the big factor. It’s not clear how much a Tesla battery pack costs ( as they have an 8 year, infinite mile warranty ). Perhaps as low as £10,000, so double that for the size a California would need. And then you might need to pay out another £20,000 to keep your 8 year old Cali on the road. You could drive an awful lot miles on £20,000 of diesel.

So, I’m sure we’re not going to see a fully electric T7 in 2017, and I don’t think a hybrid really makes much sense for a camper. But VW, and every other manufacturer, have to be accelerating the rollout of electric vehicles following ‘dieselgate’. There’s probably already a market for an electric/hybrid T6 Transporter with a 100-200 mile range. Give it another 10 years, and I’ll part exchange for a 1000 mile range electric T8 California.
How far is Tesla away from hybrid technology with self generating Dynamo technology so that the batteries recharge themselves as you drive? The sacrifice might be the high torque / power that electric vehicles seem to have compared to petrol and diesels.

If several vehicle manufacturers are moving in this direction then the high investment and high volume manufacture will result in lower costs for batteries, add in govt subsidies and customers will pay more based on fuel savings over the life of the vehicle. The result will be the technology leap needed to make electric powered vehicles practical and cost effective. Will it ever happen? I thinks so. Influential investors are already pulling out of fossil fuel based industries such as oil and gas.

Last edited:
I think self generating dynamos break some kind of law of physics :). Most (all?) electric vehicles have regenerative breaking, which also puts some power back into the batteries during downhill sections whilst keeping a constant speed. And you also have vehicles like the Ampera which are 'fully electric', but have a petrol generator on board.

Tesla claim that the energy density of their battery technology has been increasing by 5-8% a year. At 8%, that's more than doubling in 10 years. In the wake of dieselgate, Bosch announced that they will have batteries with twice the capacity, half the weight and half the cost by 2020. Of course, companies are always making these kind of announcements, and there are always delays, but it is coming.

Back