Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Latest roof bellows

F

Fitzycalifornia

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I appreciate this has probably been done to death but we have July 23 registered Ocean with badly leaking roof bellows

The dealer has agreed to replace them, l was just wondering if the replacement bellows have been modified in anyway to resolve the problem ?

Thanks

Done to death. Use search. Look at the "similar threads below". Get coffee.

@Corradobrit will be along in a moment ;)
To save you the time the general consensus is get the latest version fitted under warranty and if you have any further issues (which would only likely be minor) then use Aquatex to treat the seams. After that you shouldn’t have any issues so can forget about it largely, though Aquatex top up might be required in the future.

To save you the time the general consensus is get the latest version fitted under warranty and if you have any further issues (which would only likely be minor) then use Aquatex to treat the seams. After that you shouldn’t have any issues so can forget about it largely, though Aquatex top up might be required in the future.
Aquatex or Isabella?

Aquatex or Isabella?
Are they the same product? I just bought a Feb '24 build Cali and want to be ready with a solution when the leaks start.
Edit: A bit more searching gives me the answer.

If I were you, I would apply the Aquatex whilst your bellows are spotlessly clean.
The instructions do say that the fabric needs to be cleaned before application.

Perhaps test the bellows straight away though with a hose pipe spray nozzle set to the mist/rain setting just to see if you are one of the lucky ones with a set that don't leak ;)

Our Cali was a Jan 2024 build with 04S bellows and they most certainly did leak.

And since you are fairly new here it is important to be reminded that VW does not authorise the application of products like Aquatex and its use could invalidate the warranty. So caveat emptor.
I'll be applying sealant when my 03S are replaced next month as I only have 4.5 months remaining of warranty.

And since you are fairly new here it is important to be reminded that VW does not authorise the application of products like Aquatex and its use could invalidate the warranty. So caveat emptor.
I'll be applying sealant when my 03S are replaced next month as I only have 4.5 months remaining of warranty.
Good point :agreed

I still think VW wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it all turned nasty and ended up with a rejected warranty claim ending up in court.

That being said from the feedback so far on the use of Aquatex (including my own), it does appear to resolve the leaks and will hopefully negate the need for a warranty claim in the 1st place.

I guess if there are any long term effects they will start to show in the following months and years. No sign of my bellows falling apart yet due to the application!!!!!!

Thanks all for the info, the dealer has advised that there are still some older versions of the bellows around a that they will make sure it's definitely the latest version that's fitted, best get some Aquatex as a back up just in case

What is the latest version designation and is it a fix? Mine is an O4S.

Latest is 05S, probably 90% fixed
Thanks for that info. Saved me looking through the other (4000 plus posts) very long thread. Thanks again. If the weather forecast is correct I will be carrying out a quick hose test tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed please.

If I were you, I would apply the Aquatex whilst your bellows are spotlessly clean.
The instructions do say that the fabric needs to be cleaned before application.

Perhaps test the bellows straight away though with a hose pipe spray nozzle set to the mist/rain setting just to see if you are one of the lucky ones with a set that don't leak ;)

Our Cali was a Jan 2024 build with 04S bellows and they most certainly did leak.
My Cali is a new (May 24 build), took delivery last Friday. How did your situation pan out? Do you now have the O5S fitted and if so what results did you get?

The replacement bellows will have their own separate warranty. VW parts supplied and fitted by VW have a 2 year warranty in the UK.

I’ve got the 4S which hasn’t got wet yet and I’m thinking of just using Aquatex and not going through the hassle of having the bellows changed. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 4&5 and is it worth changing when the 5 still leaks?

My understanding from previous comments is that on the 05S they added barrier/sealing tape to more of the zip and horizontal seams.

However they haven't added any barrier tape to the four small width vertical seams which are roughly at the front and rear corners of the bellows. I stand to be corrected but again from previous comments, it sounds as though these seams can still leak.

My own bellows are 04S and they leaked on the vertical seams and also on the stitching around the zipped aras. As Aquatex has so far resolved all the leaks, I am not rushing to get my 04S bellows replaced with 05S.

Coast booked in for a list of warranty issues including leaking 03S bellows, upper rear door seal.

My understanding from previous comments is that on the 05S they added barrier/sealing tape to more of the zip and horizontal seams.

However they haven't added any barrier tape to the four small width vertical seams which are roughly at the front and rear corners of the bellows. I stand to be corrected but again from previous comments, it sounds as though these seams can still leak.

My own bellows are 04S and they leaked on the vertical seams and also on the stitching around the zipped aras. As Aquatex has so far resolved all the leaks, I am not rushing to get my 04S bellows replaced with 05S.
Hi, nature helped me yesterday morning with a real good lashing (with wind coming from SW and the van pointing S) whilst the roof was up. It lasted about ten minutes. A few drops managed to make their way to the rubber (?) element at the base of the canvas. I know that ten minutes is not very long but a start and harsher tests will follow. As part of my resolution process can you tell me how you applied the Aquatex? Spay? Paint brush? Other? And did you treat just the seams and stiches or did you treat the whole canvas.
Thanks in anticipation for you help.

Hi, nature helped me yesterday morning with a real good lashing (with wind coming from SW and the van pointing S) whilst the roof was up. It lasted about ten minutes. A few drops managed to make their way to the rubber (?) element at the base of the canvas. I know that ten minutes is not very long but a start and harsher tests will follow. As part of my resolution process can you tell me how you applied the Aquatex? Spay? Paint brush? Other? And did you treat just the seams and stiches or did you treat the whole canvas.
Thanks in anticipation for you help.
Aquatex users are just spraying the seams inside and out. Maybe a couple of applications after the first has dried. Applied using the spray nozzle, no brushing.

As per @Corradobrit advice.

I only treated the seams, not the whole canvas.

Two coats inside and out, allowing a few hours in warm/dry weather between coats.
I used a piece of hand held old carboard to mask off the painted roof areas when spraying the seams closest to the roof.

I still have just one very minor leak through a small area of the stitching in the rubber section at the base of the bellows. Literally just one or two small drips of water getting through after a prolonged downpour. So little in fact that I don't intend to do anything about it unless it gets worse.

I didn't treat that area as initially I thought it was unnecessary and i was a little worried that the solvent in the Aquatex might weaken any glue used at the factory to attach the rubber base to the metal roof.

I treated whole canvas outside, seams etc inside. Used about 2.5 cans. No leaks anywhere on my blasted hose test but unfortunately (fortunately) we have had good weather when camping recently.

I don’t want to join the leaking bellows brigade.

But I thought I would sound out some wiser/more experienced minds.

Last 2 nights in Wales it’s been blowing a hoolie in techinal terms. In layman’s terms, I would guesstimate Gale Force 7 - 8. I popped the roof regardless, as these things should be stress tested way beyond their stated tolerance.

I parked with the rear facing the prevailing wind. Woke up to large pools of water in the front corners of the top bunk area.

Last night there were puddles on the worktop in front of the wardrobe (pretty certain water was just tracking down the metal hooks for the IKEA rails pic attached). I think a good 250-500 ml pooled up on the worktop (I kept mopping it up).

Before I go bellowing at VW, should I simply expect this, given the prevailing conditions?

For reference 04S 24 reg.

IMG_4112.jpeg

IMG_4109.jpeg

IMG_4108.jpeg

IMG_4117.jpeg

Abolutely NOT to be expected. We are in devizies in an open field. We set up incorrectly facing the prevailing wind. Spent the night in torrential rain. Not a drop has passed through the bellows. I checked very carefully.
05s bellows with two applications if Aquatwx to all the seems.

The replacement bellows will have their own separate warranty. VW parts supplied and fitted by VW have a 2 year warranty in the UK.
I understand that VW, along with others, only apply the 2 Yr warranty on parts and labour fitted outside of the factory warranty.
Parts fitted as part of a warranty claim are only warrantied for the remainder of the factory warranty.

Back