Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leak from back pillar when raining

M

Mehdime

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi all,

We were camping last night (with the roof open) in heavy rain. In the morning, we noticed a pretty serious leak coming from the back pillar (the one between the side window at the back and the tailgate). See pictures. It was still raining when I took these. I have a video too but there doesn’t seem to be a way to upload a video here. The video shows the water coming out of the gap between the white and grey part of the pillar and then dripping down.

Any ideas of what this could come from? This is a 5 month old Ocean.

A1C7D077-F8D5-4E4B-AF86-4C0300B48A9F.jpeg0CF401E8-4315-44E3-856D-6EA4B5A0183F.jpeg

Hi all,

We were camping last night (with the roof open) in heavy rain. In the morning, we noticed a pretty serious leak coming from the back pillar (the one between the side window at the back and the tailgate). See pictures. It was still raining when I took these. I have a video too but there doesn’t seem to be a way to upload a video here. The video shows the water coming out of the gap between the white and grey part of the pillar and then dripping down.

View attachment 100697View attachment 100698
Check the drain holes that run from the gully on the roof through the inside of van then out next to the rear hatch hinge. The drain pipe is in 2 parts/tubes with one slid over the other. If the are detached from each other you could get water running down the inside of the rear pillar.

Open the tailgate, the drains (ArunAlec mentions) are located either side on the body shell, they are Black rubber bungs with a hole in them, which connect to a corresponding hole in the roof channel (body shell)

with the roof up, pour a little bit of water into the roof channel (in line with the bung) see if the water comes out of the black drain bung or inside the van.
if you have a syringe you can measure the amount of water being used for the test (collect the water as it comes out of the bung )

edit, the rear side trim comes off fairly easily, remove a section of tailgate rubber seal the sits over the panel, use a trim tool to pop it out of its fixings (pop it towards the inside of the van ) the panel is held on by push fit fixings. You can then see the inside of the body shell and possibly where the water is coming from ?

edit be careful not to pull the electrical cable that the light switch connects too (unclip the rear of the light switch, leaving the switch attached to the panel, rather than leave the panel dangling on the electrical wire)

Last edited:
The tailgate light can leak as well.

Mine was replaced under warranty following a leak into the tailgate cavity.

Hi all,

View attachment 100697View attachment 100698
My 2022 Coast had the same issue- they replaced tailgate light and it stopped.

Back