Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof leak - not the bellows

J

Julesverne2000

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Had the pop top up at home today to test the MY23 bellows. Good news is that they held up in heavy rain, albeit without driving wind and rain that only lasted for a couple of hours.

In giving the upstairs a close inspection I did though spot a small amount of water coming in at the rear, driver’s side, adjacent to the scissors. IMG_1190.jpegIMG_1191.jpegIMG_1192.jpeg

The leak was coming in through the metal below where the bellows seal joins the roof. Not noticed this before in previous wet weather, but it could be easily missed, nor have there been other obvious signs of water coming in.

There were some very heavy/torrential downpours today so I was wondering if this might just be the volume of water in the exterior channel being too much for the drainage holes. Other threads suggest blockages for other examples of roof ingress.
Our driveway slopes so the front of the van is bellow the rear, possibly increasing the flow.

I’ve attached a couple of photos.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Hi. Yes I did last weekend. It was coming in somewhere around where that Vw sticker is you have shown. I only noticed it when it starting dripping out of the light above the sliding door so I traced it back. Rain was hitting this side, then the wind changed and it did a similar thing on the other side so hopefully the leak hole is symmetrical?

Did you find a fix?

Hi. Yes I did last weekend. It was coming in somewhere around where that Vw sticker is you have shown. I only noticed it when it starting dripping out of the light above the sliding door so I traced it back. Rain was hitting this side, then the wind changed and it did a similar thing on the other side so hopefully the leak hole is symmetrical?

Did you find a fix?
I’ve not tried to be honest, just mopped up the drops and focused on enjoying the much improved weather!

Will keep an eye on it when it rains. I could try a hose test around the scissors. I’ve not noticed any substantial leaks in previous rain.

I thought it was tricky to translate the spot where it was visible inside the van to the cause on the outside.

TBH looks like it could still be the bellows, just that bottom seam.

Back