Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking side window

Not sure I follow. Can you repeat the question / statement?
There are two feeds into the drain one from the window track and a smaller one that is located up against the glass and is not obvious.

drains.jpg

There are two feeds into the drain one from the window track and a smaller one that is located up against the glass and is not obvious.
Thank you for that Alec - I hadn’t seen any mention of that before so really helpful.
I’m going to have a look at my old window now to see if that was one of the design revisions they made along the way. I presume the channel you have identified actually is a straight though and therefore OK to use to poke clear with a cable tie ?

@AlistairC you have done what I have always thought must be the only successful method of fixing this problem. Why on earth VW didn't issue an instruction to dealers to do just what you have done when changing windows under warranty way back in 2003/4 when the problem first arose I will never know. Then fix subsequent production as vehicles were manufactured.

My fear is that now I have a MN TGE due any day with sliding windows both sides in the rear I will still have the same problem! Time will tell no doubt.
Thank you for that Alec - I hadn’t seen any mention of that before so really helpful.
I’m going to have a look at my old window now to see if that was one of the design revisions they made along the way. I presume the channel you have identified actually is a straight though and therefore OK to use to poke clear with a cable tie ?
If I recall the slot is so thin a cable tie didn’t fit. I’m actually wondering if the slot is actually a breather for the drain given its size and position.

For the flat drain hole 2 above I have used packaging bands cut down. They are usually 5-10mm wide and cut down is great to poke with there. Unless we dislocate the drain of course.

Apologies in advance for patronising, focussing in on it ‘having play’ when it’s closed and the van being new, are you sure it’s closed properly? In my experience everyone else that uses our cali doesn’t push the window in when closing, it’s not an intuitive action. You need to simultaneously pinch the catches and keep pushing out until it seats properly and should be flush when you look from the outside.

Apologies in advance for patronising, focussing in on it ‘having play’ when it’s closed and the van being new, are you sure it’s closed properly? In my experience everyone else that uses our cali doesn’t push the window in when closing, it’s not an intuitive action. You need to simultaneously pinch the catches and keep pushing out until it seats properly and should be flush when you look from the outside.
@BristolCali no need to apologise, you are not being patronising at all. Your query is the same as every dealer and quite valid.
The secret to ensuring that the window is fully closed is to 'bump' it closed on the last bit of movement to hear & see the catches snap closed.
The crux of the problem is not that water gets in but that it cannot get out again via its drain channels.

you can check the operation and clean the drain holes at the same time.

either :
water applied with a syringe directly into the drain holes
or
spray silicone spr or similar such as WD40) into the holes (use the straw type dispenser)

you should see the fluid drain to the outside from under the window roughly inline with the drain holes.

(wipe off any silicone / spray that gets on the exterior paintwork.)

clean the outside recess of the window / bonding :
before washing the vehicle.
use a microfibre cloth, apply neat bodywork shampoo to an edge / corner of the cloth, gently push the MF cloth into the recess so it puckers into to the external recess between the van body and rear of the window, gently pull the cloth around the perimeter of the window whilst maintaining the light pressure of puckered cloth so it makes contact with the whole of the recess, do this to all windows as part of your wash maintenance regime, a surprisin amount of crude accumulates in the recess.

Best test is to use a syringe and direct water down the drain hole.
I would focus on the faulty drain rather than the window rubber/seal. Hard to believe that VW have not sorted this yet! My 2013 T5.1 had the side window replaced 6 years ago and the flaw in the drain was obvious well before that.
That is really something! My 2005 Cali SE had the same. Drain holes out of order. Fixed it with new rubber seal. But that would be last resort for you. I hear warranty repair.
This must have been an issue with any Multivan, California or not, since decades.

To add to what Rod has already said above (he is very correct on all this - thank you Rod for your thread on other forums!), yes, the lower drain channels are very poorly adhered onto the sliding window channels.

I’m about to bond on a brand new VW window unit so I’ve given it some good investigations! The bottom part appears to be fixed with a bonded neoprene gasket which whilst stretchy, really is very weak. As said above, I really wouldn’t advis poking anything down there for fear of breaking that seal.

I have gone belt’n’braces on this problem and encased the entire drain system in Bonding sealant Before adhering it to the van. Fingers crossed eh!View attachment 100809
Can you more specifically describe the location of that in the pic.?

I removed the tape today to test how my windows leak. The drain holes are clean, cleaned with compressed air. When pouring water at the top of the window it leaks quite bad. Back to tape again. I cant stand all wet interior another winter and I dont need ventilation on both sides. I guess I have to buy a new window for next season.

Hi, our 3 week old 6.1 Ocean is suffering the leaking side window issue.

I’ve read a number of the previous threads, I just wondered if there was any updated info for the T6.1 sliding windows. None of the drain holes seem to exit under the window glass…if poke with a small cable tie but it’s hitting something and doesn’t go all the way through.

Also, the window when fully closed, still has some play. If I push from the inside I can see water being squeezed out and dripping behind the cooker/sink. Is there any adjustment possible on the window to pull it in closer to the rubber seals….?
As a follow up, I cleaned the window and channels thoroughly (even though it was only a few weeks old at the time) and it seemed to help.

However, after a few more weeks and some opening of the window it’s started leaking again. I tried to get it looked at during a visit to the dealer for a number of other niggles, but they ran out of time so need to reschedule.

Further more, the window on the sliding door is now also leaking.

I’ve taped up the kitchen window and that appears to have stopped the leak for now, need to tape up the other side now and get it booked into the dealer again.

I bought it from Liverpool but took it back to the new dealership at Oldham for the other niggles, however I got the impression a lot of the staff were new and I didn’t get the feeling they would be fully up to speed with Cali window leaks, so will take it back to Liverpool.

Does anyone have any (good) experience of using Liverpool for fixing such issues..?

Sorry I can’t help with much of your post - apart from the drain question.

On the latest windows you’re not able to push a zip tie through the channel as (you quite rightly state), there is something blocking it. Yes, these new ones seem to have a v shaped piece inside so it isn’t a clear path through.

To me this seems like it’ll help detritus accumlate faster - but I’m sure there will be a reason for it! Mine couldn’t have anything pushed through but with dark ambient lighting a torch did show that there was an open path.

I've had three T5s and a T6 since 2007 all with sliding windows that leak. I took one back to the dealer who replaced the complete window.
It's fair to say that if VW haven't managed to fix this problem in almost twenty years of production you are all wasting your time taking a vehicle back to get this problem fixed under warranty. It's a design fault that they have never admitted exists. A dealer will, if pressed, change the complete window but the new one will still inherit the same problem.
If a new window doesn't leak immediately after change if you use the opening feature it will leak in the not to distant future.

I've had three T5s and a T6 since 2007 all with sliding windows that leak. I took one back to the dealer who replaced the complete window.
It's fair to say that if VW haven't managed to fix this problem in almost twenty years of production you are all wasting your time taking a vehicle back to get this problem fixed under warranty. It's a design fault that they have never admitted exists. A dealer will, if pressed, change the complete window but the new one will still inherit the same problem.
If a new window doesn't leak immediately after change if you use the opening feature it will leak in the not to distant future.
I fear you’re right, judging by the number of times windows have been replaced with little or no improvement.

It also seems that each version of the Cali - T6.1 in my case has a subtly different design of the window closure and drain holes, so any fixes that were described for earlier models isn’t necessarily applicable.This is making it hard to find suitable fixes.

Taping up the windows seems to be the most effective..!

Unfortunately yes. Have not found a working solution for out van other than tape on the outside. Dont want to pay for a new window either.

Drilling the rear hole is difficult I used a right angledrill and then tee both pipes together and into the waste .No airlock that way .

Noticed a small amount of water in the cupboard under the hob this morning. Had some pretty heavy rain overnight, is this likely to be a leaky side window? Couldn’t see any evidence of ingress around the window itself. There are some drops along the back panel and a couple of pools along the metal trim.

IMG_1445.jpeg

Last edited:
Make sure seals cleaned round window .Some use silicon grease to help .Monitor .Also use a syringe and pour water into channel to see if waterenter cupboard. I use blue roll to indicate water .Good luck.

Back