Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking side window

Noticed a small amount of water in the cupboard under the hob this morning. Had some pretty heavy rain overnight, is this likely to be a leaky side window? Couldn’t see any evidence of ingress around the window itself. There are some drops along the back panel and a couple of pools along the metal trim.

View attachment 113227
Check along the top of the waste water tank for evidence of a leak, it's best if you take the cutlery.drawer out for a good view.

I found cleaning the window rubber seals ans mating faces with silicon spray on a cloth made a bit difference.

To test the window drain, the small hole in the drain slot near the front, use a syringe, water should exit below the window.

Worked a treat for me.
Hi

So my husband and I are about to embark on your solution for leaking into kitchen cupboards.

Few questions if that’s ok?

What size plastic tube did you use? And also when you ref drilling, what did you need to drill? (Apart from drilling into waste pipe).

Would the pipe not just push through and come out back of kitchen (obviously going thru faulty flap drain thing)

Also I presume you had to take sliding window out to access the second drain hole.
Where did you join the two pipes before fitting it into waste pipe?

I hope you don’t mind me asking. Desperately trying to avoid replacement window!

Hi

So my husband and I are about to embark on your solution for leaking into kitchen cupboards.

Few questions if that’s ok?

What size plastic tube did you use? And also when you ref drilling, what did you need to drill? (Apart from drilling into waste pipe).

Would the pipe not just push through and come out back of kitchen (obviously going thru faulty flap drain thing)

Also I presume you had to take sliding window out to access the second drain hole.
Where did you join the two pipes before fitting it into waste pipe?

I hope you don’t mind me asking. Desperately trying to avoid replacement window!

Best test is to use a syringe and direct water down the drain hole.
I would focus on the faulty drain rather than the window rubber/seal. Hard to believe that VW have not sorted this yet! My 2013 T5.1 had the side window replaced 6 years ago and the flaw in the drain was obvious well before that.
Hi do you mind me asking if you happen to know if the latest sliding window (whole unit) kitchen side would be compatible with my 2012 5.1 se?
I have seen new one (genuine) for sale online (considerably cheaper than VW want to charge me) that says it’s compatible with T6 and 6.1. I thought they all fitted eachother?
Also thanks for your very useful explanation with regards the dreaded leaky window situation. It helped me diagnose and also attempt to trouble shoot my leaking windows.

I think there are a number of variations in glass tint etc. I would advise going to a dealers and asking for the part number of the one for your particular VIN and then ask the vendor of the part number of the one that is for sale. If they are the same you stand a chance of getting the correct one.

I think, if you investigate the plastic parts that make up the drain system on these windows whilst it's out of the vehicle you may find that you can fix the leak problem by carefully bonding the parts together much better that VW do. It's impossible to see what you are doing to do that with the window bonded into the vehicle.

Back