Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leather Re-Trimming - MY17 Beach - Kutamo Fabric to Grey Leather - Trim Technik, Birkenhead

Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
When I was speccing my MY17 T6 Beach towards the end of 2016, I was disappointed to learn there was no factory leather option. I had selected this as an option, on my previous 3x vehicles, and been happy with those decisions. The part-leather (Alcantara) option wasn't available, back at that time either, so I ended up ordering with Kutamo fabric seats, and I added the heated-seat option also.

Resons for leather..... We have a Jack Russell, and he casts a lot in the Summer. Plus, I use my Beach as a daily driver, and we are heavy users. Circa 30,000 miles per annum, and 104x nights sleeping in the van in its first year. The Kutamo fabric did hold-up well, but there are quite a few marks already, after 14x months. I am also sick of buying/using Ikea sticky-rollers to lift the dog hairs off the fabric..... Having wipe'able leather, was what I wanted. I did look at many covers as options also..... I ordered and paid for a set from Ukatex, but after too many questions (in German) for sizing and measurements, I cancelled the order for a full-refund. In the end, I didn't want to spent £500+ on really good covers, then have to fit them myself. So, I decided to call Trim-Technik, in Birkenshire (following a recommendation from this forum.)

I dealt with Luke, the cost was £1095 ex VAT and the remit was to provide same as VW T6 Caravelle factory option. We googled some images, and got some examples of how these looked, so we could copy design etc. Luke then sent out a bunch of colour leather samples, even tho it was going to be black or grey. We later settled on ash grey, and Luke had the leather work done in-advance, and I booked the ferry over from Belfast-Holyhead to make the visit to their workshop.

I dropped the Cali in with them at 08:30, and collected later the same day. Service was excellent. I was offered a lift to/from Liverpool, where I spent the day happily around the Albert Docks and then a burger and beer in Brewdog.

So, all in all..... Very happy with the service provided by Trim-Technik, in Birkenhead. And thanks to this forum for the valuable recommendations also.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

IMG_4279.JPG
IMG_4278.JPG
IMG_4277.JPG
IMG_4276.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4274.JPG
IMG_4273.JPG

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know how it goes on with the muck that dogs can bring in, especially if they are free to roam in the van. Will it show scratches from their claws etc?

I'd be interested to know how it goes on with the muck that dogs can bring in, especially if they are free to roam in the van. Will it show scratches from their claws etc?

Will keep you posted..... Generally, our dog lies on the floor mat.... That changes to "always" when the heater is blowing hot air.... I don't honestly know how he sticks it, but sure loves the heat.... When on the rear-bench seat, he's always on-top on a blanket/bed. This "should" stop any scratches, and we didn't have any issues on previous cars (which he had the run-of also.) The dog hairs get everywhere tho, even on the front-seats, even tho he doesn't ever sit on those.... The air circulates them, and we transfer them by moving from place-to-place ourselves also suppose.

Looks great! Placed an order with Trim Technik myself last week, also dealing with Luke, so they're just making my leather seats now and hopefully get them fitted in a week or two :)

When I was speccing my MY17 T6 Beach towards the end of 2016, I was disappointed there was no factory leather option. As, I had recently always selected this as an option, on my previous 3x cars. The part-leather option wasn't available back then either, so I ended up with Kutamo fabric seats, and I added the heated seat option.

Resons for leather..... We have a Jack Russell, and he casts a lot in the Summer. Plus, I use my Beach as a daily driver, and we are heavy users. Circa 30,000 miles per annum, and 104x nights sleeping in the van in its first year. The Kutamo fabric did hold-up well, but there are quite a few marks. I am also sick of buying/using Ikea sticky-rollers to lift the dog hairs off the fabric..... Having wipeable leather, was what I wanted, but I did look at many covers as options also..... In the end, I didn't want to spent £500+ on really good covers, then have to fit them myself. So, I decided to call Trim-Technik, in Birkenshire (following a recommendation from this forum.)

I dealt with Luke, the cost was £1095 ex VAT and the remit was to provide same as VW T6 Caravelle factory option. We googled some images, and got some examples of how these looked, so we could copy design etc. Luke then sent out a bunch of colour leather samples, even tho it was going to be black or grey. We later settled on ash grey, and Luke had the leather work done in-advance, and I booked the ferry over from Belfast-Holyhead to make the visit to their workshop.

I dropped the Cali in with them at 08:30, and collected later the same day. Service was excellent. I was offered a lift to/from Liverpool, where I spent the day happily around the Albert Docks and then a burger and beer in Brewdog.

So, all in all..... Very happy with the service provided by Trim-Technik, in Birkenhead. And thanks to this forum for the valuable recommendations also.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

View attachment 30730
View attachment 30729
View attachment 30728
View attachment 30727
View attachment 30726
View attachment 30725
View attachment 30724

Very nice..

They look brilliant, I am jealous!
I am very tempted to get a retrim, but am afraid that after a few years they may show wear around the stitching, I fear this as before we bought our Cali we rented one which had this issue.
Has anyone had a retrim for a few years? how are they now?
I am sure they are great as it looks very proffessional, I reallllllllly want to get it done :)

Back