Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leather Seat Covers

I should have made it clear in the post above that when I referred to “design” I was only talking about the
I have been impressed by this classic leather seat design supplied for a California Grande and asked DKS to price for the same design for my California Ocean in my colour choice.

DKS do not have a stock pattern to this classic design for the Ocean (only for the Grande) but have agreed to do it at an extra design charge.

I am planning to go ahead but thought I would mention this in case others thinking of leather also liked this design: as I might then be able to share the extra cost and/or achieve better terms.

Please PM me if interested.
I should have made clear when posting the above that by ‘design’ I meant the layout of the stitched leather. The colour choice, single or more, would be to individual taste.

I should have made it clear in the post above that when I referred to “design” I was only talking about the

I should have made clear when posting the above that by ‘design’ I meant the layout of the stitched leather. The colour choice, single or more, would be to individual taste.
DK Schweizer have now produced the inserted traditional leather seat pattern for a VW Ocean, and I have just ordered my seats retrim to this design - in case anyone else is interested in using the same pattern..

That is some classy leather.
Really like it. Does it have a grade of leather ?
Can I be so rude and ask ball park figure please ?
Thank you, as I say I am well pleased.

Standard leather. DKS advised against premium leather, as it does not wear well in a van, apparently, because most people need to climb up onto the seat (rather than drop into it) and the leading edges gradually sag as a result.

I did specify colour matches stitching (no additional cost) as I think that looks better.

That particular design, which used to be the norm for leather car seats years ago - and which I had to pay £295 plus VAT for but any others interested will not have to - has the advantage of hiding best the normal buttock hollows that develop over time - as the fitter at DKS kindly pointed out to me!

As to price, best to contact Rob Stevens at DK Schweitzer but the costs was not very much more than the VW art velour seat upgrade option which I originally ordered then cancelled once Rob had given me his quote.

Last edited:
"To be fair, we are all entitled to individual opinions even if cranky, and indeed, similar individual aesthetic ideas:" Pleased for you Vik
Thank you, a tortured sentence if I ever read one, but I am in no doubt well meant ...

Thank you, a tortured sentence if I ever read one, but I am in no doubt well meant ...
I couldn’t comment on how tortured it was vik, it was a quote. Hee hee ;)
009CE61C-56B2-4F9B-983C-1E6C9F736D45.jpeg

Last edited:
Having (another) ‘jab’?

One of the staff at DK Schweizer explained something interesting. The traditional leather car set layout looks like this:

View attachment 118704

And is intended to disguise ‘cheek dents’ (although I think he may have used a slightly more colloquial expression). Over time the alternative ‘modern’ design of larger, in particular side to side (rather than front to back), stitched panels of leather tend to mirror more, and emphasise, the shape of what sits on them. The fine cross stitching (sometimes diagonal) used in some seats including new Bentleys does counter these ‘stretched hollows’ to some extent but the most effective long term design for maintaining appearances could still be as above.
That leather, colour and example is exactly how I want mine recovered and extra seat cushioning, side bolsters done. Very classy.

Back