Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leather upgrade by Seat Surgeons York. Perfect..

P6YRK

P6YRK

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
leather upgrade by Seat Surgeons York, outstanding service and perfect finish! Cannot recommend highly enough, any design or colours you want fitted perfectly ! Best service I have ever received and most professional company I have ever dealt with, honest give them a call and the will sort.

06B6F76C-F5AA-4914-B6DE-DD97EE192744.jpeg

1032D152-7EEC-420E-B47D-386CDB4E8F11.jpeg

3C33EC62-1DAD-4BF5-B7CD-6A2D696B252A.jpeg

57B550CF-4B00-4634-9C37-8D10A826CB4A.jpeg

Looks fantastic, and with such a good recommendation. Could l please ask how much it cost, because it looks a very expensive quality job. How much extra was it to have the door cards done? They look like the icing on the cake.

Looks fantastic, and with such a good recommendation. Could l please ask how much it cost, because it looks a very expensive quality job. How much extra was it to have the door cards done? They look like the icing on the cake.
I upgraded the leather and all fabric cards done including rear one, front cards, comfort bed and arm rests for £1500 plus vat, could have gone cheaper leather but this was top quality and really worth it with Wolfsburg inlays totally worth it, top notch fitting and great leather.

Thanks for the info. When you say including rear one, which one are you referring to?

Very nice, thinking of doing the same myself.
The seats on my 2018 are getting a bit grubby. is it a drive in and out service or do they need the seats for a few days?

Very nice, thinking of doing the same myself.
The seats on my 2018 are getting a bit grubby. is it a drive in and out service or do they need the seats for a few days?
You can design online (I went in and chatted as easier for me!) and then they make the seats up, you take it in and it’s all done same day, guys will give you a lift to York if you fancy a day out, I live close so dropped of at home and picked up 4 hours later. Honest it really was a great experience and the van is transformed, my seats where looking awful and now perfect!

Looks great. I think they are good value compared with the VW option.

If recovering go for Nappa (Top Grain) leather especially on the seats. Split grain leather is much cheaper but vastly inferior with regards to durability ok to use on items you don’t sit on. The only issue is that Nappa top grain leather is smooth with no embossed grain pattern on it. So will look different in that context even if the colour matches. Doubt you will get a Nappa leather retrim for less than £2k.

G
If recovering go for Nappa (Top Grain) leather especially on the seats. Split grain leather is much cheaper but vastly inferior with regards to durability ok to use on items you don’t sit on. The only issue is that Nappa top grain leather is smooth with no embossed grain pattern on it. So will look different in that context even if the colour matches. Doubt you will get a Nappa leather retrim for less than £2k.
Got to disagree, nappa stretches and scratches easier, it’s also harder to keep clean and will crease, would have gone nappa but very high maintenance for a van that is used hard, it’s also hard to blend as it’s finish is not uniform, each to there own though but I want good looking for a long time and easy Maintainance for life.

I wish to update the seating finish but not to leather, as expect to be Turing in hot countries.

I quite like the finish in my Teguan R Line which is a mix of alcantara and some other material.

1633726992056.png

I wish to update the seating finish but not to leather, as expect to be Turing in hot countries.

I quite like the finish in my Teguan R Line which is a mix of alcantara and some other material.

View attachment 85399
Might alcantara (where seat touches sitter) and leather (looks and smells great and is wipeable) be the answer?

Might alcantara (where seat touches sitter) and leather (looks and smells great and is wipeable) be the answer?
Yes that’s the kind of mix I would be looking for Alcantara is very durable and breathable. So think this is the way to go.

Yes that’s the kind of mix I would be looking for Alcantara is very durable and breathable. So think this is the way to go.
I wondered, when spec’ing my seat skinz covers (supply the shop) whether perforations are functional. They look good on individual panels, but do they also help with breathability or the heated seats?
In the end I spec’d perforations on the nimbus alcantara seat and back section. The rest of the cover will be in sterling leather look. I think the pale greys will lighten the space and go well with the interior and Ascot grey paint.
I decided against a full retrim as I didn’t want to waste the new seats themselves. This way I can remove the covers and have brand new seats when the covers are past their best. Two for (slightly lower than) the price of one.
It’s got to make the seats very slightly larger than a retrim I suppose, but you wouldn’t know it’s not a retrim by look or feel. They take 2 hours to be fitted by The supplier. You can do it yourself and save £60 but that’s the sort of faff I don’t need...

I wondered, when spec’ing my seat skinz covers (supply the shop) whether perforations are functional. They look good on individual panels, but do they also help with breathability or the heated seats?
In the end I spec’d perforations on the nimbus alcantara seat and back section. The rest of the cover will be in sterling leather look. I think the pale greys will lighten the space and go well with the interior and Ascot grey paint.
I decided against a full retrim as I didn’t want to waste the new seats themselves. This way I can remove the covers and have brand new seats when the covers are past their best. Two for (slightly lower than) the price of one.
It’s got to make the seats very slightly larger than a retrim I suppose, but you wouldn’t know it’s not a retrim by look or feel. They take 2 hours to be fitted by The supplier. You can do it yourself and save £60 but that’s the sort of faff I don’t need...
Will be interested in seeing your covers, when will you be having it done. and if you don't mind how much.

View attachment 85399
Hi Jester

I had a full leather retrim in my Cali.
having experienced perforated leather seats with a stitched seat back and pad, on another two vehicles both had heated seats, my experience with those vehicle was based over 100,000 miles and was a very good experience.

The combination of Perforations of pattern stitching did not pick up any discernible additional dirt etc, they were easy to clean normally and they allowed the heated seats to heat up as intended (without the extended delay that can be associated with leather) the combination of perforation & stitching pattern on the face ensure the ”stick” feeling you can get on bare skin / leather is negated.
the perforations coupled with stitching pattern ensure the seats regulate the temperature better (from your body) they also prevents bagging that can occur on flat leather panels.
Similarly I have leather sofas at home, where the heat and Stick is noticeable

I opted for a full leather (premium real leather) with perforated and pattern stitched seat pads.

my experience to date is very very good.

I wear shorts most of the year, I have had no issues with sticking to the leather seats in my Van.

conversely I have another car, it has factory leather seats, it does not have perforated or stitched seat pads, the seat pad and back are large flat panels, the same cannot be said for that car, the leather in that car generally generate more heat from purely sitting on them and yes you do get a certain amount of stick On bare skin, the seats show signs of bagging To the seat pad.

in the end the decision to go for covers or a re-trim be that leather or any other material or combination is a personal choice, but there are mitigating factors to be considered for each potential option.
Each has its own merits and potential issues, only you can decide what the perceived benefits may be And what is right for your intended use.

I post this to purely highlight that one of the reasons you give for not having leather on the seat pad / back may not be an issue if you choose certain design options.
I hope this helps give a balanced opinion and possibility offers another potential option to consider.

edit , fully air bag compliant and labeled appropriately on each seat (as are the iso fix points ) photo two shows the air bag compliant tags on the upper left as viewed in the photo, if you look closely at the rear bench you can see the iso fix tags, exact where they are on the factory seat covers

FDC5704B-EF44-49AC-9626-B634811F5F66.jpeg

AFF4EEF9-7BDF-4EE5-A333-62B61B82E669.jpeg

029AAAE5-ED22-4671-BDC3-A0CF3E8B78F1.jpeg

27ADCDCA-21B1-4F30-91A9-DB2D60DC9B14.jpeg

Last edited:
Will be interested in seeing your covers, when will you be having it done. and if you don't mind how much.
Ordered them early August and production time is c10 weeks...but...
my California is still ‘in build’... I’m hoping I can get them fitted early November.
Total price for the 2 seats and rear bench in ‘Exclusive’ design with cross stitching on the alcantara, inc VAT and fitting was £1059.61

Hi Jester

I had a full leather retrim in my Cali.
having experienced perforated leather seats with a stitched seat back and pad, on another two vehicles both had heated seats, my experience with those vehicle was based over 100,000 miles and was a very good experience.

The combination of Perforations of pattern stitching did not pick up any discernible additional dirt etc, they were easy to clean normally and they allowed the heated seats to heat up as intended (without the extended delay that can be associated with leather) the combination of perforation & stitching pattern on the face ensure the ”stick” feeling you can get on bare skin / leather is negated.
the perforations coupled with stitching pattern ensure the seats regulate the temperature better (from your body) they also prevents bagging that can occur on flat leather panels.
Similarly I have leather sofas at home, where the heat and Stick is noticeable

I opted for a full leather (premium real leather) with perforated and pattern stitched seat pads.

my experience to date is very very good.

I wear shorts most of the year, I have had no issues with sticking to the leather seats in my Van.

conversely I have another car, it has factory leather seats, it does not have perforated or stitched seat pads, the seat pad and back are large flat panels, the same cannot be said for that car, the leather in that car generally generate more heat from purely sitting on them and yes you do get a certain amount of stick On bare skin, the seats show signs of bagging To the seat pad.

in the end the decision to go for covers or a re-trim be that leather or any other material or combination is a personal choice, but there are mitigating factors to be considered for each potential option.
Each has its own merits and potential issues, only you can decide what the perceived benefits may be And what is right for your intended use.

I post this to purely highlight that one of the reasons you give for not having leather on the seat pad / back may not be an issue if you choose certain design options.
I hope this helps give a balanced opinion and possibility offers another potential option to consider.

edit , fully air bag compliant and labeled appropriately on each seat (as are the iso fix points ) photo two shows the air bag compliant tags on the upper left as viewed in the photo, if you look closely at the rear bench you can see the iso fix tags, exact where they are on the factory seat covers

View attachment 85406

View attachment 85407

View attachment 85408

View attachment 85409

A great write up Perfectos thank you for your observations and advice it’s certainly food for thought. A great finish on your seats

Seat Surgeons do there own covers called “ez-fit” or something like that? They can do to any design too? Give them a call and sure they will help? I kept my original covers (just in case I sell) and they are bagged up in the loft along with original stereo and wheels.

Back