Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaving the van stood for a while - how long is ok?

D

DMAS

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi All,
Me again! :)

So my Beach isn't my daily driver and I only plan to use it for adventures. Question is - is it ok to just leave on the drive for a number of week? Do I need to think about the leisure battery? Handbrake? Fuel?

I've no idea - maybe I'm just over thinking things,

Thanks in advance you beautiful helpful people,
Dan

I certainly wouldn’t worry about not driving it for a number of weeks..Just need to check the leisure batteries once a month and top them up. Maybe start it up now and again but that’s all....

I certainly wouldn’t worry about not driving it for a number of weeks..Just need to check the leisure batteries once a month and top them up. Maybe start it up now and again but that’s all....

Great thanks for the reply!

Great thanks for the reply!
Remember many Service items are Time as well as Milage related. When you say weeks, do you intend to use the vehicle over winter or just summer?
You will notice that Brake Pad wear and Brake Disk wear will be accelerated due to corrosion build up on the Disks. It would also be a good idea to move the vehicle forwards or backwards periodically so that a different section of the tyres are used to avoid any deformity.
Tyres have a shelf life as they deteriorate in sunlight and should be checked carefully and might need to be replaced well before the minimum tread depth.
Opening the doors frequently when not using the vehicle can easily flatten the Engine Battery. It's not just the cab lights that come on when the vehicle is unlocked, all the computer systems wake up as well.

Remember many Service items are Time as well as Milage related. When you say weeks, do you intend to use the vehicle over winter or just summer?
You will notice that Brake Pad wear and Brake Disk wear will be accelerated due to corrosion build up on the Disks. It would also be a good idea to move the vehicle forwards or backwards periodically so that a different section of the tyres are used to avoid any deformity.
Tyres have a shelf life as they deteriorate in sunlight and should be checked carefully and might need to be replaced well before the minimum tread depth.
Opening the doors frequently when not using the vehicle can easily flatten the Engine Battery. It's not just the cab lights that come on when the vehicle is unlocked, all the computer systems wake up as well.

Well it will most probably be at least once a month! But to me that seems an age

But really the best thing would be to take it for a short run and avoid all these problems....Are you planning to put it on sorn or keeping it taxed?

I have a similar dilemma in that I am having my knee replaced later this week and won’t be allowed to drive for 6 weeks. I have just done about 2000 miles on holiday so should be OK for a bit. However I am on the original vehicle battery eg 6 years old. No other adults around to drive Zebedee. So interested to see replies to your post

Stick it on hook-up whilst it’s standing around and crack open the two front windows half an inch to allow fresh air through.
Fridge lid left open and waste pipe left open too. Drain fresh water tank also

that's great advise, we've been wondering about those issues too...always worthwhile reading posts on this site and soooo glad we joined !

Our Cali is also only used for longer trips, so will sit outside for 3 weeks at a time. I have a solar panel so the leisure batteries are topped up all the time, but if you can't do that the advice on here usually is to put the Cali on charge for 24 hours once a month.
Leaving the handbrake off is a sensible idea if you can. Sometimes the pads get stuck onto the disc and you have to drive to & fro a bit to jerk them free. If you have a DSG you leave it in Park anyway so it can't move anywhere, if you have a manual box leave it in first or reverse and turn the wheels into a curb.
Probably a good idea to put the roof up every couple of weeks, on a dry day, to blow some air through.
Check there is no food left in the cupboards that might attract visitors.
Short little trips are not good for these vehicles, the engine doesn't get hot enough for all the anti-pollution equipment to get up to temp. and it can clog up.

Another Tip.
Put some Cling Film or Plastic under the Wiper Blades to stop them sticking to the Windscreen.
Put some Disposable Humidifiers in the vehicle and leave all the cupboards/Draws slightly open.

I'd avoid starting up and not going on the road, also wouldn't advise only doing a short run, reason, emission system/regen process doesn't like not getting up to full operating temp.

Or just ditch your daily driver, and start using the California?
It is all another car has, plus a whole lot extra.

Great replies and advice as always. Everything has been covered above - thanks everyone

Just to add, we go to Australia to see the kids for well over a month every year. Been doing it since 2007. I plug into the mains, open the frig, drain off the water tank and leave it and the waste open . Petrol tank half empty. It's DSG so I can leave the handbrake off too. It's always worked when we get back.
Although, the Smart car wasn’t one year.
I will now wrap the wipers in cling film which I got from this posting so thank you for that. You can always learn something.

Enjoy your holiday.
In addition to all the other good advice, I would suggest you pump up the tyres by an extra 10 psi to prevent tyre distortion whilst the cali is stationary and save a bit of money by sorning your Cali.

Enjoy your holiday.
In addition to all the other good advice, I would suggest you pump up the tyres by an extra 10 psi to prevent tyre distortion whilst the cali is stationary and save a bit of money by sorning your Cali.
Thanks @golfie, it gets taxed at Christmas so Sorning is a must. Good point about the tyres, I'll put that on my list. Just got new Michelins

Back