Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED Headlamps

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Trying to retire but there's always one last job..
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
This may sound a silly question but i've noticed on some (possibly all) T6 Oceans with LED headlamps that they have headlamp washers jets yet my T6.1 Ocean doesn't; I thought this was compulsory with this type of light (lie xenons) as well as auto levelling, which I see mine do everytime.

Any ideas?

We’ve got led headlights but no washers. I seem to recall they were in a ‘winter pack’ when we bought ours, along with heated windscreen etc.

I believe headlamp washers used to be a requirement for LED headlights, but it can’t be now if new vehicles don’t have them.

Headlamp washing and levelling systems are a legal requirement and required if the LED headlamp or high intensity discharge lamp has a luminous intensity exceeding 2,000 lumens. Vw headlights are under this (as are almost all LED lights) hence not needed. The LEDs just make better use of their output with less light scatter & a whiter light than conventional bulbs thats why they appear to be brighter.

The Cali does have auto-levelling, as has any car I've owned with LEDs, so maybe that's a universal requirement still for LEDs?

Slightly OT, but I keep reading about laser headlights; be interesting to see what they're like. I find LEDs a bit lacklustre compared to the BiXenons I had on my 2015 BWM 3 series (which on full beam virtually transformed the road ahead into daylight!).

The Cali does have auto-levelling, as has any car I've owned with LEDs, so maybe that's a universal requirement still for LEDs?

Slightly OT, but I keep reading about laser headlights; be interesting to see what they're like. I find LEDs a bit lacklustre compared to the BiXenons I had on my 2015 BWM 3 series (which on full beam virtually transformed the road ahead into daylight!).
Laser headlights will only work if you drive at night, pitch black, with no other lights around.
Here in Belgium those laser lights will virtually never work, because there is too much light at night.
I never had Xenon headlights.
On my Golf 2 I had the 4 round headlights. The H4 normal headlights were of not much use, but when I put on the 220W high beams (55W x4 I believe?), night became much clearer.
Then I got my Golf 4. Normal headlights were a whole lot better than the Golf 2 ones, but the high beams were a disapointment.
Now I have the California, and the H7 headlights are sufficient for me, and the H15 high beams work sufficient for me.
Not to mention I still have the factory light bulbs, and if one blows, it's just so cheap to replace.

The only real reason we now have LED headlights in cars/vans is just for all the cameras for the driving aid systems to see enough in the dark.

And for me personally, halogen light is much more relaxing for my eyes compared to the hard white light of LED. You will probably see much more, but LEDs are pointed lights, whereas halogen light is more diffused, making the edges more soft.

And yes, Xenon and LED headlights have auto adjust where halogen headlights have to be controlled manually.

Back