Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Led lights

I

ian trinder

Vehicle
N/A
HI GUYS
HAS ANYONE FITTED LED LIGHTS TO THE HABITATION AREA OF YOUR CALIFORNIA DOES IT MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE & WHERE DID YOU PURCHASE THEM FROM I HAVE A 2011 CALI SE

If you’re handy with a soldering iron it’s a doddle to convert the existing units.

I have fitted LED strips in ours. About a fiver off eBay and just wired into the standard lights.
Most useful is the one on the rear trim above the hatchback so that it lights up the boot area.

I thought they were already led in facelift cali

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

HI GUYS
HAS ANYONE FITTED LED LIGHTS TO THE HABITATION AREA OF YOUR CALIFORNIA DOES IT MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE & WHERE DID YOU PURCHASE THEM FROM I HAVE A 2011 CALI SE

THERE IS (SHOULD BE) A BUTTON ON YOUR KEYBOARD WHERE YOU can release caps lock … makes things a lot easier to read ;-)

Anyway: Welcome! I have not tried red light. But I have thought about the possibility to change/dim lights. So I find your question interesting. My mate has all his lights dimmable in his Sprinter conversion.

I have fitted LED strips in ours. About a fiver off eBay and just wired into the standard lights.
Most useful is the one on the rear trim above the hatchback so that it lights up the boot area.

Hi Briwy
I would like to add some LED strips but do not know how to simply 'wire' into the standard lights. Are you fitting 12v LED strips that do not need a transformer? Do you solder or crimp these onto the live and earth for one of the factory fitted lights and then use the light switch to activate the LED strips? Sorry if these appear to be very basic questions but I would love to add some LED strips but don't want to risk damaging the CAN electrics of the bus. If you could provide a little more detailed advice, I would really appreciate it.
Many thanks
Bruce

Hi Bruce.
Yes 12v, no transfomer needed. This kind of thing. If you want to get really fancy they come with a small control unit to alter the brightness and colours as well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOW-Wate...004863&hash=item3aae083f66:g:MIEAAOSwY0lXSSgB
I just picked up the live terminals (when switched on) on the standard switch and fed the wires out to the strips under the trim.
The LEDs are sticky backed and can be cut to length.
As they come off the leisure battery I don't think it has anything to do with the Canbus system. Ours have been on for a few years without any problems.
Hope this helps.

6FA156FB-9131-450E-B999-20AB65B87F3D.jpeg 6FA156FB-9131-450E-B999-20AB65B87F3D.jpeg 25DB2064-89E5-40DA-A963-F96CDBDEDF08.jpeg

With LEDs switch the negative.

Hi Bruce.
Yes 12v, no transfomer needed. This kind of thing. If you want to get really fancy they come with a small control unit to alter the brightness and colours as well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOW-Wate...004863&hash=item3aae083f66:g:MIEAAOSwY0lXSSgB
I just picked up the live terminals (when switched on) on the standard switch and fed the wires out to the strips under the trim.
The LEDs are sticky backed and can be cut to length.
As they come off the leisure battery I don't think it has anything to do with the Canbus system. Ours have been on for a few years without any problems.
Hope this helps.

Hi Briwy

Really useful - very helpful, many thanks.

Something to get on with over the Christmas break !

Cheers
Bruce

Any reason you need to put the switch on the negative?

It was explained to me once but I’ve forgotten. Something to do with the behaviour of the LED.

It was explained to me once but I’ve forgotten. Something to do with the behaviour of the LED.
Possibly to avoid earth faults if the LED fails. An incandescent bulb fails open circuit so we don't care where the switch is but an LED could fail open circuit or with a short circuit.

Possibly to avoid earth faults if the LED fails. An incandescent bulb fails open circuit so we don't care where the switch is but an LED could fail open circuit or with a short circuit.
more likely for lamp monitoring.

Another handy place to stick some LED tape.... soldier wires onto boot light bulb, inline fuse, through gap at top right of battery cover, 12v coax plug and socket to keep multiflex removable. Sure does make finding things in the boot much easier. If I did it again I'd use red LED tape to retain night vision after getting the dog food at night.

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg