Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Led Daylights - Can you help?

E

Ethos

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi just had some day run Led lights fitted to my T6 California … fitted by VW main agent at a cost of around £525.00

The California came with the lighting pack E.G Automatic lights.. But I have to turn off auto lights and put on side lights for the Led daylights to come on.

When common-sense tells me they should come on when the engine is running and the lights are on auto during the day?

Please can someone that has had them fitted shed some light (excuse the pun) ???

Are there any Daylight Running Lights showing if you don't follow that procedure?

I have the optional LED headlights but my recollection was that LED daytime running lights were standard on on the T6 Ocean when I ordered mine. I kept a copy of the brochure with standard equipment from late 2015 so I'll check and update my post.

However, for factory fit day-time running lights - they operate as you suggested you would expect - They are on all the time that the engine is running.

Hi just had some day run Led lights fitted to my T6 California … fitted by VW main agent at a cost of around £525.00

The California came with the lighting pack E.G Automatic lights.. But I have to turn off auto lights and put on side lights for the Led daylights to come on.

When common-sense tells me they should come on when the engine is running and the lights are on auto during the day?

Please can someone that has had them fitted shed some light (excuse the pun) ???
They might have been fitted by a main dealer, but they have been incorrectly wired.
Your T6 had DRL's already. They came on with the ignition, and depending on their position they dim on the side the indicator flashes and also dim when headlights are active. This is controlled by the ECU.
Your Dealer has wired the new DRLs into the sidelights only.
Therefore you probably have 2 sets of DRLs at the front plus the red Rear lights on unless they removed the fuse for the original DRLs.
Basically you have just had an expensive set of Sidelights fitted, not DRLs.

Back to the Dealership and ask for a Qualified Autoelectrician to sort it out, if it is possible.

I have the optional LED headlights but my recollection was that LED daytime running lights were standard on on the T6 Ocean when I ordered mine. I kept a copy of the brochure with standard equipment from late 2015 so I'll check and update my post.

However, for factory fit day-time running lights - they operate as you suggested you would expect - They are on all the time that the engine is running.
Just checked. Daytime Running lights are standard on all T6 Oceans.

I think the OP may be talking about the led drl's that fit into a T5/T6 bumper listed as an extra by VW vans. I tried to have these fitted but my dealer said it was not possible as I had the auto lights option fitted to my Cali. He didn't think there was a workaround.

From the VW Transporter accessories brochure, from £354+vat.

transporter_led_daylight_running_lights.jpg

£525? Hat off to the dealer for that one. :cheers

They might have been fitted by a main dealer, but they have been incorrectly wired.
Your T6 had DRL's already. They came on with the ignition, and depending on their position they dim on the side the indicator flashes and also dim when headlights are active. This is controlled by the ECU.
Your Dealer has wired the new DRLs into the sidelights only.
Therefore you probably have 2 sets of DRLs at the front plus the red Rear lights on unless they removed the fuse for the original DRLs.
Basically you have just had an expensive set of Sidelights fitted, not DRLs.

Back to the Dealership and ask for a Qualified Autoelectrician to sort it out, if it is possible.

Sorry I’m new to the forum thing.

Yes that’s correct I looks like for the moment I have just got expensive set of sidelights …And as Larry lamb stated they are the ones fitted into the bumper .But was told at the time by dealers it could be done ….Looks like it’s a trip back to me by the dealer to rectify .

Yes they are fitted as slandered under the main headlights. These was the ones fitted as a extra in the bumpers

Yes they are fitted as slandered under the main headlights. These was the ones fitted as a extra in the bumpers
Ah - I see.

Can't help you with those I'm afraid but as others say I would expect them to operate at exactly the same time as the factory fit ones.

Looks like it’s a trip back to me by the dealer to rectify .
Yes, if they were happy to sell them to you they should sort it out. Good luck.

You can as I said above, turn off the led drl in the main headlights so you only have the bumper ones, but you need to do it with VCDS.

I had the LED DRL aftermarket kit fitted on my T5.1, the main dealer tried on three separate occasions to turn off the standard DRLs but without success even removing the bulbs which threw a fault code up, you cant pull the fuse because its shared with the dipped beam.
My friends Cali had the same kit fitted by the same dealer and they managed to turn off his standard DRLs with the VDCS. The difference between our two vans was mine had the totally stupid auto lights wipers and dimming interior mirror on it, (on it when I bought it) So I had to drive around with both sets of DRLs on.
I used to turn the switch to side lights to dim the standard DRLs that was the best I could do.
So on my new T6 I did not spec the auto rubbish I went bi xenon's instead which are amazing.
I took the view I know when its getting dark so I turn a switch, I also know when its raining, and the interior mirror on Cali is as good as a chocolate teapot.
I do like the kit the OP has, so I might get that but hopefully its compatible with my xenon's.

I had DLR's fitted to my T5 at the Sheffield dealership last year. I don't know if this answers your question but it may be of interest.
Initially they came on with the factory fitted DLRs (not a good look unless you've got xenons). They had previously said they could override the factory fitted setting so I asked them to do that however as I drove away I noticed a bulb 'out' light on the dash and duly found a light out at the rear. This issue turned into an intermittent fault which was initially confusing.
There was much scratching of heads at the dealership and several conversations with VW's technical department. Eventually they worked out what was happening. The new DLR's were on all the time however with the lights set to auto as soon as the side lights came on with lower light levels the electrical system shut down the lights front and rear on the near side to prevent a perceived overload. Apparently it should have been well within limits but they couldn't reprogram it out of the system. They sorted it by fitting what I think they said was a spur relay. This resulted in a resolution which is fine for me but may not suit everyone. With my lights set to auto my new DLRs stay on until light levels drop at which point they go off and the side lights come on. I could set the switch to off which would mean the DLRs staying on but as soon as the factory fitted lights were switched on the DLRs would go off again.
I couldn't say if there are other ways around this issue but from this experience and previous other visits to the van centre the guy (head Cali technician name of Chris) seems to know his stuff.

Hope this helps

Cheers Brin

Whatever happened to a wire from a fuse to a switch and then to a light and another one to earth. Sticking extra lights on the front bumper was a must back in the day. It just goes to show how complex our vehicles are.

Back