Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LED Sliding Side door “ California “ light

R.Hay

R.Hay

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
One of the lights ( think it’s led ) on the under” California “logo door light at foot step have gone
is the it a a whole unit to replace ? or just the actual light strip

image.jpg

You can, from memory, pop it out and fit a new bulb. Can be replaced with an led bulb.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if wrong.

I'm sure @TripleBee fitted some chinese lanterns,
well they weren't quite lanterns, but led lights
in his lights.

There are some, that have replaced the foot well lights, various colours etc, led definitely.

Could you tell me where you got those LEDs from?
I tried a few of that type but they didn't work
Are you sure. Unlike normal bulbs that are a push fit, LEDs of this type are +tve dependant. Try turning through 180 degrees in socket.

Are you sure. Unlike normal bulbs that are a push fit, LEDs of this type are +tve dependant. Try turning through 180 degrees in socket.

They drew too much current I think and tripped the BCM limiter as all the step lights went out.
Tried them both ways.
Put back in the single LED and they worked fine

I got them from Alien Express.
The first set I bought (first pictures) were single LED, but they died very soon.
The second set (second picture) work perfectly. The only drawback is that there are 4 contact points. Each opposite side is either + or -, and the socket in the van is top + and bottom - (or vice versa). That makes the fuse trip. I had to scrape one contact on each side to make it work (you probably don't have a clue what I am talking about?)
led.jpg
instapverlichting.jpg
What I had to do:
led2.jpg
but make sure you scrape the second contact, and not the one connected to the components. The contacts are connected through the print plate.

It's very difficult to explain in a foreign language on a computer...

It's very difficult to explain in a foreign language on a computer...
You have explained very clearly, I know exactly what you mean!
I hadn't even thought to look at that

One of the lights ( think it’s led ) on the under” California “logo door light at foot step have gone
is the it a a whole unit to replace ? or just the actual light strip

View attachment 64842
The whole unit is very cheap to buy from VW, well it was a few years ago. Think I paid £23 very easy to swap. Don’t look on eBay as there use to be 2nd rubbish ones way more expensive!

I've just installed some of these into our 'California' lights. They only have one contact on each side, so there's no need to scrape anything off as described earlier in this thread. The listing highlights that they're not guaranteed CAN bus error-free, but mine haven't thrown any errors and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that VW simply don't monitor - they're hardly essential for the operation of the vehicle.

I've just installed some of these into our 'California' lights. They only have one contact on each side, so there's no need to scrape anything off as described earlier in this thread. The listing highlights that they're not guaranteed CAN bus error-free, but mine haven't thrown any errors and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that VW simply don't monitor - they're hardly essential for the operation of the vehicle.
I hope for you they last longer than the first set of single LED bulbs I bought. The only problem that can occur is through the dimming function. Inner lights (and in mine from 2010 even the outer lights at the front) aren't monitored by the BCM, so you don't need CANbus LED's for those. Only if you have CANbus light switch (small plug) there is front light control.

normal light switch:
1605820328233.png

CANbus light switch:
1605820291617.png