Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Battery display!

W

Wiza

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I’m trying to establish how to read the leisurely battery display! It’s says 20%? Does this mean this is all that’s left? It’s only been used overnigh

I’m trying to establish how to read the leisurely battery display! It’s says 20%? Does this mean this is all that’s left? It’s only been used overnigh
Yes. Assuming you have a California with the same display as me!
Was it 100% prior to using it? What were you running overnight?
You need to put your vehicle details on your profile.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
yes, but this is a better representation.
12v-AGM Battery-State-Of-Charge.jpg

Also you don't say what of how old your vehicle is in your profiles it says looking to buy?

20% overnight could be a number of things but that's certainly very fast. The manual recommends 24 hours on hookup once a month to keep them live.

Assuming you have an SE, Coast or Ocean that suggests either your batteries are at the end of their life; and/or the fuse between the rear and front batteries has blown.

There are some other potentials but the above two are the most common.

That sounds very low for just the fridge, you should be in warranty, it may be worth checking with a dealer if you are able. Even just driving it should be upto about 80%. Can you get on a hookup?

On the rear battery there is a block fuse on the positive terminal, that would be a first thing to check to see if it has blown. Be careful handling it though it can get broken easily.

If you let it go even lower i would be concerned about permanent damaging the battery's , thats is if the damage is not done allready ....
Do update your personal details , read the manual and this forum .
Guessing you are not the first owner ?

20% overnight could be a number of things but that's certainly very fast. The manual recommends 24 hours on hookup once a month to keep them live.

Assuming you have an SE, Coast or Ocean that suggests either your batteries are at the end of their life; and/or the fuse between the rear and front batteries has blown.

There are some other potentials but the above two are the most common.
It was driven yesterday and has been on hook up for past 5 days!

It was driven yesterday and has been on hook up for past 5 days!
If the fuse had gone would it be working at all?

If the fuse has gone you will have half of the capacity. There are two batteries one under the front seat and one in the rear.

If you are on hookup you should not be using battery, sounds like your charger may not be charging. I best handover to some more knowledgeable ocean owners at this point.

12.4 is actually 80% not 20% so it maybe that the calibration has been lost on the battery monitor. I would reset the control panel an put it on hookup for a couple of days so that it gets back up to 100%

Just one question. Why does it only show "G" in the bottom right and not in the middle on top?
If your engine is running, both starter battery and leisure batteries should be charging.

12.4 is actually 80% not 20% so it maybe that the calibration has been lost on the battery monitor. I would reset the control panel an put it on hookup for a couple of days so that it gets back up to 100%
I think you were right! I started the engine and the % went up straight away! Now on 70%! Thanks all for your help!

The % readings in the CU really do not mean that much. It is not 'measured' but 'calculated' by the not so brilliant software in the CU...

Forget the %, go by the voltage. And then 12.4 V is not bad at all... Once it drops to about 11.5, things like fridge and heater start to shut off and one should really recharge. But anything above 12V: I wouldn't worry too much!.

I think you were right! I started the engine and the % went up straight away! Now on 70%! Thanks all for your help!
Did you Reset the Control Panel?

How do you reset the control panel and is it something that we should do every so often?

No not sure what to do there! I just turned the engine on and it adjusted itself straight away??
Have you ever switched the Control Panel OFF, using the L lower button?

Following up on the earlier ? Can u tell me about how to reset the Control panel & how often should I do it? For example: My dirty water waste tank shows on the control panel it is full even when empty. Thanks. Jennie

Following up on the earlier ? Can u tell me about how to reset the Control panel & how often should I do it? For example: My dirty water waste tank shows on the control panel it is full even when empty. Thanks. Jennie
Most would only do a reset if they had a problem with the info on the display.
The waste tank level is pretty unreliable at the best of times but worth trying a reset.

Why and when should we do that ?
Euh, I always switch it off when I end my camping trips. If I don't need the fridge, heater, roof anymore, the display is always off in my California. It uses battery for no reason.

Why and when should we do that ?
It’s a Computer. What do you do with a computer when it plays up?

The Control Panel showed 12.4v and 20% capacity. That is not correct. So it needs re-booting, just as your computer does.
If you are not using the van for any reason then switch off the Control Panel.