Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery issue

B

Bubble1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our leisure batteries ran flat!! Our reading on hook up as per pic, looks odd. Are we in trouble?

90026126-CC65-432C-AAA2-F94C78A269F1.jpeg

Just leave it on hook up for the next 24 hours. Then see what charge you have in the leisure batteries.

Our leisure batteries ran flat!! Our reading on hook up as per pic, looks odd. Are we in trouble?

View attachment 79617
What do you mean, Leisure Batteries ran flat?
The picture shows you are on EHU and the charger is in charge mode - normal reading.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Hello,

I had a look at your picture trying to find what looks "odd". I checked mine this morning and it looked similar (well, except that the engine was on instead of the charger).

I always struggle with the information on the EHU, my interpretation from the information from you picture is, the battery voltage is 14.2 and the battery is charged with 4.8 A. That looks normal to me.

But I might be wrong. So I will follow your post to see what people with more experience will say about it.

Happy charged California,
Eberhard

Hello,

I had a look at your picture trying to find what looks "odd". I checked mine this morning and it looked similar (well, except that the engine was on instead of the charger).

I always struggle with the information on the EHU, my interpretation from the information from you picture is, the battery voltage is 14.2 and the battery is charged with 4.8 A. That looks normal to me.

But I might be wrong. So I will follow your post to see what people with more experience will say about it.

Happy charged California,
Eberhard
It is easier to understand using the Mains Charger than the Alternator when the engine is running as you don’t have to worry about Stop/Start, Regenerative braking etc.
When you plug into the EHU, the voltage on the Control Panel jumps to about 14.4v and the Charging Current jumps to + 5 +/- amp, depending on the state of charge of the Leisure Batteries. As the Leisure Batteries charge towards 100% capacity the charging current gradually falls and below +1amp the Mains Charger switches to Float Charge, the voltage on the Control Panel gradually falls to about 13.4v and the charging current continues to fall to about 0.2/0.4a where it will remain.
Once you switch something On that uses the Leisure Batteries then the current shown on the panel may flip to a -tve current draw initially and then the Mains Charger will flip into Charging mode increasing the charging current to a +tve value followed by increasing the Charging Voltage to maintain the Batteries 100% capacity.

Last edited:
I think you'll find current readings are in amps not volts(v)as you show!

Back