Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery

Vic

Vic

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all we have a 2012 Cali and replaced the leisure batteries about a year ago. We recently spent a weekend in hull after driving nerly 4.5 hrs on day two the batteries where low. Is there any advice on how to check them over or to see if they are both working and not just one or would the control panel let you know if their is an issue. I took a pic of the control panel this morning but I’m struggling to understand stand it a little ive attached pic. Any advice would be brilliant. Oh and the heater didn’t work properly either not sure if it’s to do with the same issue ie leisure batteries many thank vic

3CE55A16-2748-40E5-975F-A686F070FA83.jpeg

Hi all we have a 2012 Cali and replaced the leisure batteries about a year ago. We recently spent a weekend in hull after driving nerly 4.5 hrs on day two the batteries where low. Is there any advice on how to check them over or to see if they are both working and not just one or would the control panel let you know if their is an issue. I took a pic of the control panel this morning but I’m struggling to understand stand it a little ive attached pic. Any advice would be brilliant. Oh and the heater didn’t work properly either not sure if it’s to do with the same issue ie leisure batteries many thank vic

View attachment 95566
1. Ignore the % reading . It is a very iffy calculation.
2. The -0.2 A is the current drawn to power the Control Panel Screen - Normal
3. 12.8 is the Leisure Battery Voltage. This is accurate. This reading shows it is fully charged.
4. The Heater will switch off if battery voltage drops below 11.5v

You need to get a multimeter to measure the voltage of each battery.
You may have a failed battery, that's why you have a battery warranty ' they can fail, or the 50amp cube fuse may have failed . It is fitted on the red+tve lead on the rear battery. If it fails you are only running on 1 leisure battery.

This chart is more accurate than the % reading.SoC-AGM.jpgb

Last edited:
The reading on the display at 12.8v looks fine when engine not running - always leave say 10mins after turning the engine off to let batteries voltage settle. Heater will not work below a certain battery (& fuel) level.

When driving the voltage should rise to say 14-14.4V which indicates that its charging.

For example - See below from our solar battery monitor with van parked on the drive with fridge running, bottom line gives min/max battery reading each day. Max is when sun is out and solar panels charging (so same effect as driving/charging off alternator/plugged into Hookup), min is at night with no solar charge.

7369C78B-E7BA-46AD-BBE3-7691395DE6BA.png25AA9D86-CB65-4B9C-BEB7-0515B1EC6132.png

Last edited:
The reading on the display at 12.8v looks fine when engine not running. Heater will not work below a certain battery (& fuel) level.

When driving the voltage should rise to say 14-14.4V which indicates that its charging.

For example - See below from our solar battery monitor with van parked on the drive with fridge running, bottom line gives min/max battery reading each day. Max is when sun is out and solar panels charging (so same effect as driving/charging off alternator/plugged into Hookup), min is at night with no solar charge.

View attachment 95569View attachment 95570
may I ask what solar panels (wattage) do you have in order to pull a max of 105W ?

may I ask what solar panels (wattage) do you have in order to pull a max of 105W ?

We have 3 of @Roger Donoghue panels fitted, but tend to have empty roofbars fitted a lot of time, Had 3 panels to compensate for any loss in shadow created by the roof bars (otherwise 2 panels would have more than sufficient.). Fridge has been running 24/7 since fitting the panels early last summer as doubles as a beer fridge when parked at home. Have never needed EHU since fitting, even through the shorter winter days.

Last edited:
1. Ignore the % reading . It is a very iffy calculation.
2. The -0.2 A is the current drawn to power the Control Panel Screen - Normal
3. 12.8 is the Leisure Battery Voltage. This is accurate. This reading shows it is fully charged.
4. The Heater will switch off if battery voltage drops below 11.5v

You need to get a multimeter to measure the voltage of each battery.
You may have a failed battery, that's why you have a battery warranty ' they can fail, or the 50amp cube fuse may have failed . It is fitted on the red+tve lead on the rear battery. If it fails you are only running on 1 leisure battery.

This chart is more accurate than the % reading.View attachment 95567b
If the fuse has gone any idea where I can purchases any more as I recently had a look about just in case it had and couldn’t find any anywhere.

If the fuse has gone any idea where I can purchases any more as I recently had a look about just in case it had and couldn’t find any anywhere.

Do bear in mind you will only "pull" what is needed. So if you are only maxing out at 105w load/draw, the MPPT will only pass through 105w, even is there is 300w "waiting to go". The only way you'll ever see solar panels giving out their max capacity is either running your battery rather low, then watch the numbers in the morning as the sun comes up, or, run an appliance that draws as much or more than the panels are capable of.

A lot of folk will never see more than 60w in good weather as that is what the fridge draws, and the panel will have already got the battery to a near full state.

Of course another advantage of having lots of watts available is that in poor weather, the low % from each panel = 3 x low % = OK % :)

Hi mate I need to order a fuse and a little in sure what amp to go with any idea cheers

My understanding is that the original 75A equipped californias had the same components and wire gauges as the 50A equipped ones.

He’s a 2012 cali so ile go with 50 I’m gonna take it out this after and take a look cheers
0n my 2014 it had a 50 amp fuse but changed it to 75amp on advice from VW Dealership.

0n my 2014 it had a 50 amp fuse but changed it to 75amp on advice from VW Dealership.
Yeah mine had a 75 amp so ordered 2 more hopefully that will sort the issue with my batteries. As the rear one when the engine is running it’s at 12.5 and when I touch the positive lead before the fuse it goes to 14. Something so I’m hoping it’s just the fuse.